hexfarmer is on a distinguished road. (+10)

please help optimize my workout

hello, first post.

im 45, 6'3, 205lbs, and trying to optimize my limited workout time to be the most efficient.

im not trying to get huge or anything, i just dont want to become a overweight slob.

currently im jogging twice a week (approx 10k each run) and also working out at home twice a week, I have a cheap bench (that can do incline and decline + 90 degree sitting position) and a pair of bowflex 552 adjustable weights.

typically I do:
    workout day 1 on monday,
    run tuesday,
    yoga wednesday,
    workout day 2 thursday,
    run friday
    weekend off

workout days is what I need advice for because I dont feel that its the most efficient.

currently, this is what I am doing:

workout day 1:
    set 1 - chest on flat bench with max weight (52.5 lbs per dumbell) until failure (approx 30 reps)
    set 2 - bent over rows with same weight approximately 30 reps per arm
    set 3 - same as set 1 until failure
    set 4 - same as set 2 30 reps
    set 5 - same as set 1 until failure
    set 6 - same as set 2 30 reps
    set 7 - same as set 1 until failure
    set 8 - same as set 2 30 reps

set 9 - body weight squats 100 reps
    set10 - lateral raise flies 10lbs weight 30 reps
    set11 - body weight squats 100 reps
    set12 - lateral raise flies 10lbs weight 30 reps
    set13 - body weight squats 110 reps
    set14 - lateral raise flies 10lbs weight 30 reps
    set15 - body weight squats 120 reps
    set16 - lateral raise flies 10lbs weight 30 reps

it takes me anywhere from 1.5 to 2 hours for this workout

----------

workout day 2:
    set 1 - shoulder press on bench 90 degree sitting back rest with 45lbs per arm until failure (approx 17 reps)
    set 2 - standing bicep curls 45lbs per arm approx 24 reps
    set 3 - shoulder press on bench 90 degree sitting back rest with 45lbs per arm until failure
    set 4 - standing bicep curls 45lbs per arm approx 24 reps
    set 5 - shoulder press on bench 90 degree sitting back rest with 45lbs per arm until failure
    set 6 - standing bicep curls 45lbs per arm approx 24 reps
    set 7 - shoulder press on bench 90 degree sitting back rest with 45lbs per arm until failure
    set 8 - standing bicep curls 45lbs per arm approx 24 reps

set 9 - abdominal assault combo workout for abs 10 minutes (5 separate abs exercises)
    set10 - pullover on bench 45lbs approximately 35 reps until failure for triceps
    set 9 - abdominal assault combo workout for abs 10 minutes

EDIT: I tried to link the abdominal assault workout video but its not letting me however a quick youtube search for that will take you there

that workout takes usually around 2 hours.

--------------

so my main questions are:
    can be doing something that is more efficient?
    as I mentioned earlier im just trying to do an overall workout and not trying to get huge just maintain and I don't have any more time that I can dedicate to this per week, but perhaps I can optimize it to make it more efficient?
    Should I be doing different exercises with what I have?
    Would it better to combine the two workouts (2 sets of each exercise instead of 4 but do them all in one day and do that twice a week?)

I realize that because both workout days take me close to two hours I am probably resting too long in between exercises, is that not efficient?
    Should I perhaps not switch back and forth between exercises as I do and instead do one same exercise 4 times in a row instead? (so 4 sets chest, 4 sets bent over rows, instead of back and forth switching in between)

thanks in advance!

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by hexfarmer View Post
    so my main questions are:
    can be doing something that is more efficient?
    Yes.

as I mentioned earlier im just trying to do an overall workout and not trying to get huge just maintain and I don't have any more time that I can dedicate to this per week, but perhaps I can optimize it to make it more efficient?
    Not really, it's far from optimal or efficient.

Should I be doing different exercises with what I have?
    Yes.

Would it better to combine the two workouts (2 sets of each exercise instead of 4 but do them all in one day and do that twice a week?)
    "Better" isn't the right word for either of those 2 options.

I realize that because both workout days take me close to two hours I am probably resting too long in between exercises, is that not efficient?
    Not efficient

Should I perhaps not switch back and forth between exercises as I do and instead do one same exercise 4 times in a row instead? (so 4 sets chest, 4 sets bent over rows, instead of back and forth switching in between)
    Perhaps
    Do a proper novice program instead of what you're doing if muscle building is a goal. If your goal is just to not "become an overweight slob" as you said above, what you're doing is fine if you're eating towards the same goal.

FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    If part of your goal is muscular hypertrophy in a reasonable timeframe, you'll want to work in a lower rep range with a focus on adding weight/reps each week.
    Email to chat about programming or anything training related : FurtadoZ9@outlook.com

jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I've noticed something.
    When beginners for advice here, they are either very tall, 6'3, 6'4 6'5, 6'6, or very short, 5'5, 5'4.
    Where are the 5'9s?
    What happened to the average height guys?
    Did they go for "well, I don't need gym, I'm already average, I'll just seduce women anyway with my facial aesthetics, while the lankets and the shorties hit the gym trying to improve themselves"?

On-topic: your program sucks, OP, but, like air2fakie says, if it works for you and you get results from it, do it!
    At least you're not a frail old man.

Also, abdominal assault sound... mhmm... rapey!
    Does anyone else have a fetish for belly buttons?
    I like to learn from the mistakes of the people who take my advice.