BigMichael78 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Fighting off lower back inflammation after leg work?

Hello,
    My squats and deadlifts seem to go okay every time but then about 12-24 hours later I get discomfort around the lower back and tailbone areas. In the short run I've found it helpful to take an ibuprofen and also to reach behind my back and "play chiropractor", but I can't imagine that getting my lower spinal area inflamed all the time is a good idea in the long run.

Please keep in mind that as a tallie (I'm 6'5"), conventional advice about form doesn't always apply to me in the usual way.

Is a simple change in technique the likely answer here? Time to consult with a trainer, maybe?

Thanks!
    Michael

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    I have had problems with a poorly conditioned upper glutes - which spasm or feel sore because they don't get used through a complete range of motion by the main lifts. Doing machine hip abductions helped a lot. Also learn to do the cross legged glute stretch:

e.g. to stretch your right upper glute:
    - lie on the floor with left leg out straight
    - put right foot to the left of the left knee
    - pull the right foot and knee towards you with your hands until you feel stretch in the glute

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by BigMichael78 View Post
    Please keep in mind that as a tallie (I'm 6'5"), conventional advice about form doesn't always apply to me in the usual way.

Is a simple change in technique the likely answer here? Time to consult with a trainer, maybe?
    Post form videos for useful advice. You likely can adjust your form & work on bracing, including setup/stance to make it less of a problem. Specific tweaks might also help due to your height (& specific proportions). Program adjustments possibly could help if you're doing too much too soon.

If you consult a trainer, make sure you get someone who you know is proficient with squats/DLs, and not just the dude who walks around your gym.

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by BigMichael78 View Post
    Height may affect deadlift positioning but not squat. Post form vids.
    Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16