Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Bobdabuilder1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bobdabuilder1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bobdabuilder1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bobdabuilder1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bobdabuilder1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bobdabuilder1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bobdabuilder1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bobdabuilder1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bobdabuilder1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bobdabuilder1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bobdabuilder1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by jaxqen View Post
    Well, I beg to differ.
    It would be a dumbbell rdl or a db goblet squat.
    A lying ham curl = pec deck
    We should open a thread about this and see who is right and who is wrong.

From what I've seen in public gyms, there's something with women going crazy when they see a guy pressing two 50 kg dbs on a bench press... even for one rep.
    They go wild, they drag him to the women locker room, undress him and do all kinds of dirty stuff to him... he shouldn't be able to walk straight or do legs for one month.
    Thanks pal, I've got to admit that this hasn't happened to me yet, but it's early days and I swear the fittie cleaning up the weights before close did give me the horniest look the other day after watching me struggling to fireman carry those 50kg's back to the rack after repping out 3 or 4 somewhat pathetic half reps (True story). I feel like this is sufficient evidence to validate your statement.

I'm assuming that once I can get the 50kg's down to a few well executed reps they'll probably be queuing to sit on my face before I can finish my set.

Another attempt at a progress pic for any sorts lurking around:

https://ibb.co/PT3r1Mp
    Last edited by Bobdabuilder1; 08-03-2022 at 01:51 PM.

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Bobdabuilder1 View Post
    Honestly, it's nothing to do with a 1RM, what I want to do is improve and progress. I want to better myself. Without reading back, if I mentioned that I wanted to do 1 rep at 50kg earlier, that was just a goal that I had in mind to lead me on to hopefully bigger and better things, eg doing a full, well executed set at 50kg. I guess my goal now is to be able to do a full set of 6+ horizontal reps of 50KG and then if possible carry on improving from there.

1 full rep of 50kg with good technique is just a benchmark that I'd like to achieve, it's not an end goal and never was.
    Ok, got it - from your original & follow up posts about your training it comes off that this is the immediate goal. Usually people are doing db press for muscle development and as assistance for BP, not to do any 1 RM at all.

IMO if you did some working sets in a more usable rep range & not exclusively in "sorta", "half", "1/4" etc. reps, you'd both benefit more & also end up blowing past 50 kg in reps without even doing a single. You also wouldn't be taking out the ankles of girls working out on the benches next to you when you throw your weights as you mentioned, which tbh is pretty annoying. That being said it's your workout so you should do what you want.

Bobdabuilder1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bobdabuilder1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bobdabuilder1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bobdabuilder1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bobdabuilder1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bobdabuilder1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bobdabuilder1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bobdabuilder1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bobdabuilder1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bobdabuilder1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bobdabuilder1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    Ok, got it - from your original & follow up posts about your training it comes off that this is the immediate goal. Usually people are doing db press for muscle development and as assistance for BP, not to do any 1 RM at all.

IMO if you did some working sets in a more usable rep range & not exclusively in "sorta", "half", "1/4" etc. reps, you'd both benefit more & also end up blowing past 50 kg in reps without even doing a single. You also wouldn't be taking the ankles of girls working out on the benches next to you when you drop your weights as you mentioned. That being said it's your workout so you should do what you want.
    Fair enough, it wasn't supposed to come across that way, I just figured that 1 solid rep at 50kg would be a good benchmark towards the bigger goal of completing a quality set at 50kg. If I can do that I'd set bigger goals.

Testing ankles of the girls on the next bench wasn't meant to be literal, it's just implying that if I go past a certain point on the way down I don't have the strength to bring the weights back up and would have to drop them. By testing more than I can handle I've learned where these points of inevitable failure are and now know how to stay within those boundaries so that this doesn't actually happen in practice. That's why I won't be attempting 50kg's again now until I'm able to comfortably do a decent set of 47.5kg.

To be clear, if I actually dropped a weight onto a girls ankles I would be sure to never do that again but I haven't, it wasn't suposed to be taken literally.

I agree with what I think you are trying to say, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but if I can do a few decent sets at 42.5kg whilst going as low as possible this is a more effective way to build muscle and improve my bench than attempting 3 sets of 47.5kg with bad form.

The attempt at 47.5kg after 2 quality sets of 42.5kg is IMO helpful to test my limits. I'm sure there's more effective ways and I'm always open to suggestion but I'm glad that I attempted 50kg, I now know that I'm not ready and have an idea of what I need to do before attempting it agian.

I want to get at least 2 or 3 good sets of 42.5kg whilst going as low as possible to improve my ability to come up from the bottom rather than just attempting 3 sh!tty sets of 47.5kg
    Last edited by Bobdabuilder1; 08-03-2022 at 02:52 PM.

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Testing ankles of the girls on the next bench wasn't meant to be literal, it's just implying that if I go past a certain point on the way down I don't have the strength to bring the weights back up and would have to drop them. By testing more than I can handle I've learned where these points of inevitable failure are and now know how to stay within those boundaries so that this doesn't actually happen in practice. That's why I won't be attempting 50kg's again now until I'm able to comfortably do a decent set of 47.5kg.

To be clear, if I actually dropped a weight onto a girls ankles I would be sure to never do that again but I haven't, it wasn't suposed to be taken literally.
    Most lifters have been around people who throw/drop their dbs wildly such that they just roll wherever, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who's gotten into an argument a couple of times when they actually hit your bench/dbs or you have to move your foot to avoid it. Those people actually seem to do it as a badge of honor, so glad to hear you weren't saying it literally. :P

I agree with what I think you are trying to say, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but if I can do a few decent sets at 42.5kg whilst going as low as possible this is a more effective way to build muscle and improve my bench than attempting 3 sets of 47.5kg with bad form.

The attempt at 47.5kg after 2 quality sets of 42.5kg is IMO helpful to test my limits. I'm sure there's more effective ways and I'm always open to suggestion but I'm glad that I attempted 50kg, I now know that I'm not ready and have an idea of what I need to do before attempting it agian.

I want to get at least 2 or 3 good sets of 42.5kg whilst going as low as possible to improve my ability to come up from the bottom rather than just attempting 3 sh!tty sets of 47.5kg
    Yeah, I was saying you'd prob get more out of your workout doing some mix of quality sets for reps even if you also like to do cheat sets/reps (which there can be a time & place for as well). And that you'd probably blow by the 50kg 1 rep without even doing it as a single. But train how you want... in the end if you're in the gym pushing yourself you'll likely get to the same place eventually anyway.

Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    Most lifters have been around people who throw/drop their dbs wildly such that they just roll wherever, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who's gotten into an argument a couple of times when they actually hit your bench/dbs or you have to move your foot to avoid it. Those people actually seem to do it as a badge of honor, so glad to hear you weren't saying it literally. :P

Yeah, I was saying you'd prob get more out of your workout doing some mix of quality sets for reps even if you also like to do cheat sets/reps (which there can be a time & place for as well). And that you'd probably blow by the 50kg 1 rep without even doing it as a single. But train how you want... in the end if you're in the gym pushing yourself you'll likely get to the same place eventually anyway.
    Yeah, we've got a few of those in my gym as well but I try to just bring them into my chest then put them down in front of me like a normal human being. And yeah, I think it makes sense to keep most of the sets at lower weights that I can easily handle and get down low with, particularly as I'm weaker at the bottom but testing out the heavier weights has at least helped with my confidence and knowing what I can and can't do.
    Last edited by Bobdabuilder1; 08-04-2022 at 10:17 AM.