musc1emadness has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

how to aid recovery & prevent muscle loss if I absolutely must go for a 128km ride?

I have a 5x45min bodybuilding regime weekly and in a month's time, I'll be going for this 128km cycling event. I know it's generally bad for hypertrophy, but are there any steps I can take to help with recovery & prevent muscle loss before/after the event? Thanks!

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    There is no reason why it should cause any muscle loss. If you eat properly on the day, you will naturally avoid digging into reserves. Of course this might interfere with training but it's only going to be a blip. Just keep calorie levels at maintenance or above and protein intake above sufficiency and that's all you need to do.

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Eat a giant plate of spaghetti & meatballs the night before.

the estimated burn from the 128km ride is 2800cals (400cals/h). my maintenance is 2100cals. Does it mean I should eat 4900cals on that day?

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by musc1emadness View Post
    the estimated burn from the 128km ride is 2800cals (400cals/h). my maintenance is 2100cals. Does it mean I should eat 4900cals on that day?
    Sure, or not. You're overthinking this, nothing catastrophic will happen from one long distance bike ride. If you're worried just eat a bunch the day before and/or have energy sources during the ride.

Don't worry about gaming your cals unless you're going to be doing long distance training on a regular basis.

I will be doing long distance as part of training in the lead up to the event (approx 60km/ride x3 weekly). Do I eat the equivalent to replenish my cals or just stick to 2100?

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    If you try to lose weight during training, you will likely compromise your performance and if you push your net calorie deficit high enough then yes, you will lose muscle.

If you were just to eat to appetite during this time then you probably have everything covered and don't need to make it complicated.

Rsurf72 is not very well liked. (-100) Rsurf72 is not very well liked. (-100) Rsurf72 is not very well liked. (-100) Rsurf72 is not very well liked. (-100) Rsurf72 is not very well liked. (-100) Rsurf72 is not very well liked. (-100) Rsurf72 is not very well liked. (-100) Rsurf72 is not very well liked. (-100) Rsurf72 is not very well liked. (-100) Rsurf72 is not very well liked. (-100) Rsurf72 is not very well liked. (-100)
    Eat and hydrate well the day before and after.

One long bike ride isn't going to matter, you'll just want to give it a couple days after to recover before continuing weights.

Now if you did this big biking every week or two, then it may affect your goals unless your macros are somehow accounted for.

BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Muscle loss is a non-issue. Really.

Soreness afterwards, especially if you aren’t adapted to that stimulus, is another animal.

You may want to take a few days off after, and drink plenty of liquids before, during, and after. Something with electrolytes, too.

"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants"
    -Sir Isaac Newton