rmathisen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rmathisen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rmathisen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rmathisen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rmathisen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rmathisen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rmathisen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rmathisen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rmathisen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rmathisen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rmathisen has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Whey Protein Powder - Is it bad for your kidneys/digestive tract?

I just recently have been increasing my protein intake (Brand: Muscle Milk)
    from 1 shake (25g protein per day)
    to 4 shakes spaced out throughout the day (100g per day)
    understanding that I need to do this for muscle repair & energy. (along with consuming BCAA's)

Is this too much for my body to be processing?
    Is there any reason to worry about gut health, kidneys, my stomach, etc

Thanks for any responses!
    Robert

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    The idea that protein is bad for the kidneys is a common misconception. There are people with existing kidney conditions that are advised to limit their protein intake - but that is not the same as saying that protein causes the issue, there is no evidence of that. Protein is present in most foods, the problem (if it existed) would apply to all of those, not just protein powders.

rmathisen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rmathisen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rmathisen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rmathisen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rmathisen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rmathisen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rmathisen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rmathisen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rmathisen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rmathisen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rmathisen has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    The idea that protein is bad for the kidneys is a common misconception. There are people with existing kidney conditions that are advised to limit their protein intake - but that is not the same as saying that protein causes the issue, there is no evidence of that. Protein is present in most foods, the problem (if it existed) would apply to all of those, not just protein powders.
    Thank you so much for your response.
    Your statement aligns with others that I've seen in my google searches.

Would there be any harms to consider with this vast increase in intake? (assuming for a generally healthy 38 year old)

Common sense/moderation. gbullock32's Avatar
    gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by rmathisen View Post
    Thank you so much for your response.
    Your statement aligns with others that I've seen in my google searches.

Would there be any harms to consider with this vast increase in intake? (assuming for a generally healthy 38 year old)
    Your wallet is going to hurt; but other than that maybe upset stomach if you have issues with that much lactose.
    Short cuts to success are often paved with lies.
    1/13/16: Massive hernia.
    5/10/16: Finally back to lifting, light but improving.

Why Teens shouldn't cut/Lack of progress thread- http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169272763&p=1397509823#post1397509823

stad0203 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) stad0203 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) stad0203 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) stad0203 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) stad0203 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) stad0203 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) stad0203 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) stad0203 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) stad0203 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) stad0203 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) stad0203 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    What whole food sources are you getting your protein from, what's your daily goal?

Cellucor Nutrabolt Lead Representative
    w/ Burntreality :)

Originally Posted by gbullock32 View Post
    Your wallet is going to hurt; but other than that maybe upset stomach if you have issues with that much lactose.
    Interesting. I didn't even consider the lactose content being an issue.
    My stomach has been acting up recently, hence the reason I started this thread.

I think for the 5lb bag, I could justify the $40 I spent on it on Amazon.

Are there any other products you'd advise other than MM that would also be cost effective?

Thanks!

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Yes, it's more likely to be lactose - or perhaps an additive like a sugar alcohol based artificial sweetener can upset some people's guts.

coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I’m always amazed at the bull#$&* about protein.

Bros smoke, vape, drink, eat processed foods, eat grilled foods…all things that are linked to cancer and other diseases, yet suddenly there’s a big fear of protein poisoning?

I have taken in 300-400 g of protein most of my adult life. Millions of whole eggs, crazy amounts of meat and copious amounts of whey protein, gallons of milk…I’ve NEVER had any limit when it comes to protein…I get as much as possible.

Good luck trying to OD on protein.
    "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. "By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."

Old Guy deadlifting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zMrim-0Dks
    bench press https://youtu.be/GaRzfueJVJQ

Every workout is GAME DAY!

Common sense/moderation. gbullock32's Avatar
    gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Interesting. I didn't even consider the lactose content being an issue.
    My stomach has been acting up recently, hence the reason I started this thread.

I think for the 5lb bag, I could justify the $40 I spent on it on Amazon.

Are there any other products you'd advise other than MM that would also be cost effective?

Thanks!
    An isolate would help if lactose is the problem, but those cost more; eggs/egg whites are a good whole food option, lean meat, or jerky are nice. I've been buying 10 pounds of jerky on Amazon for ~$90; 160 servings with 8g of protein per serving, delicious and not too bad of a price for a total of 1280g of protein per bag.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B077VTMH...roduct_details
    Short cuts to success are often paved with lies.
    1/13/16: Massive hernia.
    5/10/16: Finally back to lifting, light but improving.

Why Teens shouldn't cut/Lack of progress thread- http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169272763&p=1397509823#post1397509823

TheFugitive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TheFugitive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TheFugitive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TheFugitive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TheFugitive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TheFugitive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TheFugitive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TheFugitive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TheFugitive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TheFugitive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TheFugitive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Cheaper protein powders can cause stomach distress, find one that works and enjoy the benefits

Also, protein powders lower in cholesterol are easier to digest
    alienshave.com - Shave Smarter

steve@alienshave.com

BMBC - Master Level - Worldwide

Original 999,999k Crew

BCAAs Bring all the Boys to the Yard

showjo1josh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) showjo1josh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) showjo1josh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) showjo1josh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) showjo1josh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) showjo1josh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) showjo1josh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) showjo1josh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) showjo1josh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) showjo1josh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) showjo1josh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by TheFugitive View Post
    Cheaper protein powders can cause stomach distress, find one that works and enjoy the benefits

Also, protein powders lower in cholesterol are easier to digest
    Agreed here. I've been using the isopure unflavored whey protein isolate and it sits really well with me. Plus I can mix it into anything since unflavored and get it down quick with my post workout meal.

Originally Posted by coachcalande View Post
    Good luck trying to OD on protein.
    I created this thread simply because I'm having stomach aches and pains, and this has been occurring directly after increasing my protein intake.

Why wouldn't I question the correlation?

Thank you all for your posts.

I did some research online, and judging by the symptoms that I've been experiencing, I might have become Lactose Intolerant.
    To support this idea, just very recently I've noticed that when I stopped drinking milk, my eczema stopped flaring up & has gone away.

I'll be trying out the Isolate & hoping this does the trick for me.

Thank you all!

I'm looking at Isolate Protein Powders on Amazon, and I'm still seeing "Contains: Milk", or "Contains: Milk & Soy"

Should I look for something that doesn't contain milk? Or, is this just trace amounts that will contain very little lactose?
    (I'm aware that Milk is the source of Whey Protein)

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Should I look for something that doesn't contain milk? Or, is this just trace amounts that will contain very little lactose?
    Companies will tend to disclose possible allergens that might adulterate their products just to cover their asses (eg. "processed in a facility that handles peanuts").
    Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep others warm.
    Unknown

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I'm looking at Isolate Protein Powders on Amazon, and I'm still seeing "Contains: Milk", or "Contains: Milk & Soy"

For some lactose intolerant people, even isolate causes issues. If you're concerned just by plant-based protein powder. They have some "sport" versions with 30g protein if you don't like the standard 20g amount. The Orgain vanilla flavor tastes pretty good mixed with some fruits + water and/or juice.

Brankov88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Brankov88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Brankov88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Brankov88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Brankov88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Brankov88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Brankov88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Brankov88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Brankov88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Brankov88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Brankov88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Whey concentrate will cause bloating and Diarrhea in some cases, so stick to whey isolate/Hydrolysate! I suggest you don't take more than 2-3 scoops daily, as for kidneys I have a friend who will get kidney pain after eating 2 boiled eggs!

ursalacim has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ursalacim has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ursalacim has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ursalacim has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ursalacim has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ursalacim has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ursalacim has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ursalacim has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ursalacim has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ursalacim has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ursalacim has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Proteins are generally more complex supplements, and it might be difficult for your body to process them. You should better talk to a professional before starting to take anything of this kind.

NotAnAlien has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NotAnAlien has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NotAnAlien has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NotAnAlien has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NotAnAlien has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NotAnAlien has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NotAnAlien has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NotAnAlien has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NotAnAlien has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NotAnAlien has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NotAnAlien has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Depends on your body, it's reaction to it, how much you take, what kind you take.

There's been lots of reports of toxic ingredients and traces of dangerous metals in them. Also anything with "natural flavors" isn't as regulated as a term on products as other terminology. Legally a company can take a small amount of an ingredient and add a laundry list of up to 100 chemicals to it without having to legally disclose what they are.

Even alot of organic foods or companies with cleaner ingredients use the "natural flavor" term. I've even seen "organic natural flavor" and it was usda inspected, which is probably the safest bet out the bunch. Good luck finding that in a whey powder.

So all in all it very well could be bad for your kidneys or digestive track if you get a cheesy one off the internet or from some YouTube influencer.
    $50-60 for an elite protein not sold in stores with healthy ingredients and still contains sucralose? Hard pass.

Good luck.
    Last edited by NotAnAlien; 07-16-2022 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Woops