Redterror6 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Conditioning routine recommendations?

Hey guys I'm after a basic conditioning routine if I could get some recommendations please.
    I'm a extremely unfit and weak person, my body is always sore and if I try workouts I hurt myself everytime, hell I hurt myself just my making a sudden quick movement these days.
    To give you an idea I'm 6' 2" 73kg and was a pack a day smoker for the last 15 years I'm 30 now.

I'm thinking maybe I just need to start out extremely basic to condition my body before trying a workout, to hopefully not hurt myself.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Usually when people say 'conditioning' they mean cardiovascular training. But that doesn't seem to be what you want.

I understand the issue - you need to be more robust to injury. Part of it is that you aren't used to resistance training so the simple answer to that is just take it easy to being with. You don't have to take every set to complete failure. You could be 3 or 4 reps away from true failure and still get a response - this is the advantage of being new. Later when you are a lot more experienced, you'll wish it was so easy to get a training response from your body by doing so little.

The other part is balancing the workload around each joint. Problems can be caused by training (say) just chest without also training back and each head of the shoulders. So you need a routine with a balanced selection of exercises.

If you follow Fierce 5 (see sticky threads at top of forum), this will achieve both - you start with weights well short of your maximum and slowly ramp up. You aren't using the same volume (total number of sets) as a more experienced lifter needs, you train just 3x a week and the program is designed for balance.

Redterror6 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thanks for your reply, i had a look at that routine and realised I forgot to say I would like to do it at home atleast for the first while but I don't ha e any equipment besides a barbell and a pair of dun bells

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    You can do something like All Pros routine with just a barbell.

DutchB1 is not very well liked. (-100) DutchB1 is not very well liked. (-100) DutchB1 is not very well liked. (-100) DutchB1 is not very well liked. (-100) DutchB1 is not very well liked. (-100) DutchB1 is not very well liked. (-100) DutchB1 is not very well liked. (-100) DutchB1 is not very well liked. (-100) DutchB1 is not very well liked. (-100) DutchB1 is not very well liked. (-100) DutchB1 is not very well liked. (-100)
    You could start out with resistance bands and get outside and walk some hills. Track your heart rate and progression especially with the smoking history.
    Originally Posted by Redterror6 View Post
    Thanks for your reply, i had a look at that routine and realised I forgot to say I would like to do it at home atleast for the first while but I don't ha e any equipment besides a barbell and a pair of dun bells

jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    If you follow Fierce 5
    I don't want to be the "but why?" guy, so correct me if I am wrong.

A very weak guy with many injuries should try and do Pendlay rows and front squats?

From what I'v seen in gyms, beginners have troubles with regular rows position, because they lack mobility. Pendlay is even more difficult and you need good hams flexibility.

Also, front squats are quite a technical lift, I've seen beginners having problems with them because of the balance and because the lack of mobility for the wrist.

But I guess Americans are very strong so don't mind me.
    I've just seen a thread with a quite obese 220 lbs short adolescent who says he does 6-12 wide grip pullups, so my question is: why don't you guys conquer Canada? They are less, no guns, it just stands there.
    I like to learn from the mistakes of the people who take my advice.

Originally Posted by jaxqen View Post
    I don't want to be the "but why?" guy, so correct me if I am wrong.

A very weak guy with many injuries should try and do Pendlay rows and front squats?

From what I'v seen in gyms, beginners have troubles with regular rows position, because they lack mobility. Pendlay is even more difficult and you need good hams flexibility.

Also, front squats are quite a technical lift, I've seen beginners having problems with them because of the balance and because the lack of mobility for the wrist.

But I guess Americans are very strong so don't mind me.
    I've just seen a thread with a quite obese 220 lbs short adolescent who says he does 6-12 wide grip pullups, so my question is: why don't you guys conquer Canada? They are less, no guns, it just stands there.
    He can't do it anyway because of equipment.

But reading between the lines, he isn't talking about specific injuries, more like the soreness response from training for the first time - probably too intensely. That's how I read it anyway.

I found front squats got hard when they got heavy but until that weight becomes significant enough to challenge your spine position, it's just a basic quad exercise. I wouldn't mind subbing for leg press although I know that's not mentioned in the official thread.