Reply
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Registered User bax123's Avatar
    Join Date: Jul 2022
    Age: 52
    Posts: 5
    Rep Power: 0
    bax123 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    bax123 is offline

    body recomp question/advice

    6ft 220lbs and very out of shape before starting this journey for the next 3 months at least, 7 years inactive - want to lose about 15-25 pounds but want to have some muscle visible once that is done so body recomposition plans is where I was pointed to, right now I'm working out a decent amount on a consistent basis for 2 weeks now. high protein diet but trying to keep a 500 calorie deficit daily

    My question 1) - basically is the approach wrong for what i want to achieve, which is being a muscly/toned 200lbs.... should I just prioritize losing the weight first and then trying to add muscle afterwords or am i going about it the right way. What would you recommend, continue on the way im going or pivot to a high cardio plan.

    2) more on the diet, how important is eating healthy when in calorie deficit, or is it just simply about being in the calorie deficit as some suggest.
    Reply With Quote

  2. #2
    Registered User air2fakie's Avatar
    Join Date: Jul 2019
    Age: 52
    Posts: 7,156
    Rep Power: 24855
    air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    air2fakie is offline
    Originally Posted by bax123 View Post
    before starting this journey for the next 3 months at least
    3) get it out of your head that this might only be a 3-month journey
    Reply With Quote

  3. #3
    Registered User bax123's Avatar
    Join Date: Jul 2022
    Age: 52
    Posts: 5
    Rep Power: 0
    bax123 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    bax123 is offline
    Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    3) get it out of your head that this might only be a 3-month journey
    ah yes, that was just a throw away comment, iv 3 months off for the summer so gonna work super hard and after find a way to incorporate it into my every day working life.
    Reply With Quote

  4. #4
    Moderator SuffolkPunch's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2007
    Location: Suffolk, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    Posts: 54,287
    Rep Power: 1337483
    SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    SuffolkPunch is offline
    You likely will not get there in one phase. If you want to be around 195lbs, you might never get enough muscle (as a natural) to look lean. You probably need to set your target weight lower. More like 175-180lbs.

    While you are dieting, muscle growth is blunted so when you first arrive at your target you likely will not have enough for your final objective. You may have to go lower than your target and then sustained mass gain to get back up there.
    Reply With Quote

  5. #5
    Registered User bax123's Avatar
    Join Date: Jul 2022
    Age: 52
    Posts: 5
    Rep Power: 0
    bax123 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    bax123 is offline
    Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    You likely will not get there in one phase. If you want to be around 195lbs, you might never get enough muscle (as a natural) to look lean. You probably need to set your target weight lower. More like 175-180lbs.

    While you are dieting, muscle growth is blunted so when you first arrive at your target you likely will not have enough for your final objective. You may have to go lower than your target and then sustained mass gain to get back up there.
    yeah i fully understand it will take longer than one phase, just wanted to put in a block of 3 months of work and then rejig the goals and objectives from there. easier to see what's possible when you aren't overweight/unfit and unable to do the required cardio. but that's interesting to read about lowering my initial target weight, I had a feeling that I might have to take the "cut and bulk" route, even though I was initially told that a body recomp plan would bypass that.
    Reply With Quote

  6. #6
    Moderator SuffolkPunch's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2007
    Location: Suffolk, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    Posts: 54,287
    Rep Power: 1337483
    SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    SuffolkPunch is offline
    Originally Posted by bax123 View Post
    yeah i fully understand it will take longer than one phase, just wanted to put in a block of 3 months of work and then rejig the goals and objectives from there. easier to see what's possible when you aren't overweight/unfit and unable to do the required cardio. but that's interesting to read about lowering my initial target weight, I had a feeling that I might have to take the "cut and bulk" route, even though I was initially told that a body recomp plan would bypass that.
    Body recomp can be inefficient and can actually take longer than bulk and cut. Just remember that 'bulk' doesn't mean piling the weight on unless you are very skinny and underweight, it's more like a slow mass gain on a very small surplus.
    Reply With Quote

  7. #7
    Registered User TAWS6's Avatar
    Join Date: Dec 2006
    Posts: 13,598
    Rep Power: 36168
    TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    TAWS6 is offline
    Cutting to 12 percent and slowly going up to 15 percent over the course of 6-8 months is what I have found to work best. Recomp just isn’t ideal for naturals imo.
    Reply With Quote

  8. #8
    Train hard play harder Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2006
    Age: 69
    Posts: 20,115
    Rep Power: 115286
    Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Tommy W. is offline
    Forget recomp it will take forever if it even happens at all plus if it does work you’ll see very slow visual changes which can be very de motivating. Concentrate on Fatloss with muscle maintenance. A good deficit with enough protein and a solid beginners proven weight training program. Food choice IS a factor as being in a deficit you need to be satiated to fight hunger so that means minimizing things like ultra processed foods and alcohol.
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough
    Reply With Quote

  9. #9
    Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    Join Date: Aug 2019
    Posts: 4,834
    Rep Power: 30687
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    TolerantLactose is offline
    Originally Posted by bax123 View Post
    yeah i fully understand it will take longer than one phase, just wanted to put in a block of 3 months of work and then rejig the goals and objectives from there. easier to see what's possible when you aren't overweight/unfit and unable to do the required cardio. but that's interesting to read about lowering my initial target weight, I had a feeling that I might have to take the "cut and bulk" route, even though I was initially told that a body recomp plan would bypass that.
    Recomp means your weight stays roughly the same during the process, ie. the goal is a muscular and lean 220lbs. Not realistic for the vast majority of people.
    Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

    You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep others warm.
    Unknown
    Reply With Quote

  10. #10
    Registered User bax123's Avatar
    Join Date: Jul 2022
    Age: 52
    Posts: 5
    Rep Power: 0
    bax123 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    bax123 is offline
    Originally Posted by TolerantLactose View Post
    Recomp means your weight stays roughly the same during the process, ie. the goal is a muscular and lean 220lbs. Not realistic for the vast majority of people.
    okay I was fed the wrong information then from my local gym guy clearly. It does make sense now that I've been hovering around 215-220 for the last while. but the muscle is adding so i feel like what I'm doing is "working" but its clearly not what I want. 220 is a bit too much for a 6ft guy or is that just a outdated way to look at things?
    Reply With Quote

  11. #11
    Registered User bax123's Avatar
    Join Date: Jul 2022
    Age: 52
    Posts: 5
    Rep Power: 0
    bax123 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    bax123 is offline
    Originally Posted by Tommy W. View Post
    Forget recomp it will take forever if it even happens at all plus if it does work you’ll see very slow visual changes which can be very de motivating. Concentrate on Fatloss with muscle maintenance. A good deficit with enough protein and a solid beginners proven weight training program. Food choice IS a factor as being in a deficit you need to be satiated to fight hunger so that means minimizing things like ultra processed foods and alcohol.
    agree it is slightly de motivating and hard to notice any losses. I may switch to a more cardio based program, talk to me about muscle maintenance when you don't got none? lol - judging off reading a few of the replies, seems like I really should just focus on losing pounds first, but feel like I'm not being effective just focusing on the one.
    Reply With Quote

  12. #12
    Train hard play harder Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2006
    Age: 69
    Posts: 20,115
    Rep Power: 115286
    Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Tommy W. is offline
    Originally Posted by bax123 View Post
    agree it is slightly de motivating and hard to notice any losses. I may switch to a more cardio based program, talk to me about muscle maintenance when you don't got none? lol - judging off reading a few of the replies, seems like I really should just focus on losing pounds first, but feel like I'm not being effective just focusing on the one.
    You MUST lift when losing fat there are no 2 ways about it. You can also do some cardio however your fat loss is predominantly diet.
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough
    Reply With Quote

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts