Stephen926 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Post Can I follow Keto diet, if have Hypokalemia

Hello there,

I was diagnosed with chronic kidney disease CKD 2 years ago. It is still in early stage. However I am also bit over weight. I am 5' 10'' and most recent weight in 80 kg.

I have decided to follow keto diet. But I figured out as it removes carbs from my diet, it also remove health nutrients including potassium, which my body needs badly.

What should I do then. Should I stop following the keto or is there any way around to have keto diet but rich in potash???

Regards

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Eat the foods that provide your body with the nutrients you need - but reduce total calories consumed so that you are in a deficit.

Keto is not magic and certainly not worth missing out important nutrients when there could be serious consequences...

Just FYI, I think many of the supposed benefits of keto diet come from focusing on minimally processed wholefoods - but it's possible to do that without cutting out useful vegetables, beans, some grains etc. It's not carbs that are the enemy but processed foods can make it much hard to keep to a calorie controlled diet. Ultra processed foods in particular have been associated with overeating and other health problems including poor gut biome diversity.
    Last edited by SuffolkPunch; 07-01-2022 at 05:32 AM.

Thank you for your Could recommend some food items that I should consume?

I though try my best to avoid processed foods

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Just from google: foods rich in potassium: potatoes, sweet potatoes, avocados, turkey, dried apricots, leafy greens, dried peas and beans

Fits with my general advice to aim for meat, eggs, vegetables, wholegrains, beans, dairy, fruit etc. Can't go wrong unless you have some intolerance - in which case you have to systematically eliminate things until you can narrow down what's causing the issue.

Thank your for the advice. I will look into these diets