ElChorizo76 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

45 YO Newbie - Protein intake advice

Total newb here, sorry...

I am 45 years old, weigh 230 Lbs and started working out at the gym about 3 months ago, going 4 days a week, about 45 mins each time.
    I have been concentrating on doing less cardio and more weight machines, not free weights yet. I love the cable machines though.

My goal is to build muscle, not really slim down. Ill never be slim, I have a broad shoulders and thick legs since birth.

Anyways, I was wondering, I just cant seem to really grow much muscle at all. I get some really nice "swell on" when I leave the gym each time, fatigued feeling, which I like.

I have been taking:
    Pre-workout: Beyond Raw LIT
    Post-workout: Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein, and as some meal replacements.

I know I'm not eating enough protein, so that's definitely part of it. My age comes into play also.

QUESTION is... since I'm not getting enough protein in my diet to truly grow muscle, is the "ON Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein" the right powder for me or should I be taking something like the "ON Serious Mass" instead, although it has crazy calories in it and I'm not doing much cardio.

Should I also be looking at Creatine and CLA for example?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    In addition to protein intake, I'd look even harder at your workout program if you can't build muscle @ 230 lbs.

taking March-No-Post pilz weiss1967's Avatar
    weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    This "can't seem to grow" is vague language. I bet you grow according to what you put in - time and effort -wise. 45 is the best time to grow muscle.

Gandog has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gandog has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gandog has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gandog has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gandog has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gandog has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gandog has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gandog has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gandog has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gandog has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gandog has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    One thing to take into account is body can only absorb so much protein each number of hours. Not that I do it, but pro's would say get up twice in the night for small cans of tuna for example. Its also good to swap around the way you eat such as chicken meals one day beef the next tuna after that.. (or that sort of thing through the day if you eat multiple meals).
    Myself I also try and have the thin slices of bad tasting cheap as you can get chicken slices in the fridge and try to time out for the time im up between eating a meal, chicken slices and 3 protein shakes for example spreading it all out (cheap high in protein, you can also do same thing with small tuna cans for example, and or mix them up).
    It does also take into account the effort you put in, and the way you train.. (dont get me wrong im almost 38 and dont have a six pack because I need to drink a heap of beer to sleep, but use to be 265 lbs (120 kg's) with a six pack.. Should have gone pro but had other plans, around your weight now, with six pack under the belly lol, but have lost weight and slowly continue to do so (as in lost fat, and now gaining muscle)..
    And also creatine does help a lot as well id say, especially if you are just starting out..
    Last edited by Gandog; 07-06-2022 at 01:14 AM.