Tembin is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Ready to Take the Next Step

Might be a bit lengthy so I'll put the bottom line up front, I want to set an extremely ambitious goal and participate in something like an amateur show, perhaps within 1 to 1.5 years. I feel like I finally have the willpower to stick to it, but I don't have the knowledge where to start.

Longer version, I've wanted to get into bodybuilding forever. I remember wanting to participate in a show since I was 18, and I'm 38 now. However I would always go try hard for a couple weeks and quit, get distracted, move to something else, or simply forget. Well, 6 months ago in December I finally figured out why and fixed that. I've had undiagnosed ADHD this whole time.

Since starting ******** in December, I've been incredibly determined to finally stick to my goal, and I have succeeded in making 'an' effort. I have worked out 7 days a week, twice on some days, without missing a single day in 6 months.

Thing is I don't know what I'm doing. I'm just sort of winging it so far. I have gone from 250lb down to 220lb over the 6 months, and made notable improvement on strength. However, I'm quite sure that if I actually knew what I was doing, the progress could be much greater. The willpower is there now and I can actually stick to my goals for the first time in my life, but the knowledge is not there. I'm willing to attach a recent picture.

So now that I can finally stick to things, I want to set the ambitious long term goal of participating in a proper show. Willing to put in the work, just don't know how. I understand it will take a long time, but now I can stay consistent for a long time so I believe it's possible.

So where do I get started? What steps do I need to take to step up my workout from winging it, to actually competing?

lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Tembin View Post
    Might be a bit lengthy so I'll put the bottom line up front, I want to set an extremely ambitious goal and participate in something like an amateur show, perhaps within 1 to 1.5 years. I feel like I finally have the willpower to stick to it, but I don't have the knowledge where to start.

Longer version, I've wanted to get into bodybuilding forever. I remember wanting to participate in a show since I was 18, and I'm 38 now. However I would always go try hard for a couple weeks and quit, get distracted, move to something else, or simply forget. Well, 6 months ago in December I finally figured out why and fixed that. I've had undiagnosed ADHD this whole time.

Since starting ******** in December, I've been incredibly determined to finally stick to my goal, and I have succeeded in making 'an' effort. I have worked out 7 days a week, twice on some days, without missing a single day in 6 months.

Thing is I don't know what I'm doing. I'm just sort of winging it so far. I have gone from 250lb down to 220lb over the 6 months, and made notable improvement on strength. However, I'm quite sure that if I actually knew what I was doing, the progress could be much greater. The willpower is there now and I can actually stick to my goals for the first time in my life, but the knowledge is not there. I'm willing to attach a recent picture.

So now that I can finally stick to things, I want to set the ambitious long term goal of participating in a proper show. Willing to put in the work, just don't know how. I understand it will take a long time, but now I can stay consistent for a long time so I believe it's possible.

So where do I get started? What steps do I need to take to step up my workout from winging it, to actually competing?
    Maybe do a PPL and have a dedicated arms day for the 7th day. Lot's of good ones out there already. There is one in the stickies I think. You could also do the Fierce 5 one too if you want.

PhDPepper1111 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhDPepper1111 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhDPepper1111 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhDPepper1111 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhDPepper1111 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhDPepper1111 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhDPepper1111 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhDPepper1111 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhDPepper1111 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhDPepper1111 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhDPepper1111 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Welcome glad to have you! Happy to support you - post your progress in our update thread and keep at it! You'll get the specifics figured out as you stick with it!
    It's never too late!

5'6", 215

Results:
    2/26/22 USPA PNW drug tested championships: 501/325/540/1366 @ 209lb
    11/7/21 IPL drug tested world championships: 463/319/529/1311 @ 205lb
    6/20/21 USPA Western drug tested regionals: DQ (bombed squats) @ 192lb
    2/27/21 USPA PNW drug tested championships: 468/308/501/1278 @ 202lb
    10/10/2020 USPA FS meet: 407/303/474/1185 @ 212lb

Gym PRs:
    529/336/555

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If it took you 20 years to go from wanting to get into bodybuilding to actually working out regularly, I recommend setting realistic goals & taking things gradual & steady. That's the best way to avoid burning out & losing motivation. Consistency & discipline wins the race.

There's no need to be aiming to compete within a year & working out 7 days/week with 2-a-days. It's likely even counterproductive.

There's a bunch of stickies at the top of the Workout & Nutrition forums that likely will give you an idea of where to start.

Fair enough, but look. In December when I was up to 250lb, the fitness thing was more of a test. I wanted to know if the MH medications were actually working properly and figured fitness is a measurable and objective commitment that can rule out placebo effect if I can actually properly stick to it.

It's just that now I'm realizing I have a lot more in the tank than I thought. A couple weeks ago as I was on the treadmill I was looking in the mirror and got so excited for the progress that I started sprinting. I want to dial things up now and take it up a level.

Plus there is a bit of an inspirational narrative that I kind of want to be able to clearly show. Active duty military, and always struggled with fitness before, but now my coworkers have taken notice. Just during Wednesday morning PT I had about 3 or 4 coworkers commenting "you're starting to look like the Duke Nukem guy. What are you doing?" and "You aren't just losing weight. The fat is just melting off you." My 20 year old son also is going to the gym with me.

So I want to be able to show people that, look, I was never able to take care of my physical health before, but the problem all along was the mental health. Once that's taken care of look what is possible. I want to be able to inspire people to take care of their mental and physical health.

That's why I really want to push this as hard as possible. I want people to know that taking care of your mental health can be truly life changing once you finally figure it out.

Edit - I want to upload a picture to show my starting point, but the file size limit is a problem and I can't post links to imgur without a post history of 50 or greater. Really unfortunate.
    Last edited by Tembin; 06-30-2022 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Add link to picture to show/measure progress

Thanks. Trying to figure out how to get a picture in the update thread or in here, but the size limit on pictures is a bit of a hassle and can't share links until a post history of 50+ is established, so working on that!

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Tembin View Post
    That's why I really want to push this as hard as possible.
    It's great that you're going in the right direction, am just trying to emphasize that the business of building muscle isn't a push it as hard as possible 120% everyday, twice a day type thing. Less is sometimes more. What works for fat loss doesn't work the same way for building muscle, which to be fair may not be your priority right now.

You can post pics in your profile.

Gandog has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gandog has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gandog has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gandog has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gandog has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gandog has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gandog has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gandog has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gandog has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gandog has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gandog has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I like doing a 4 day split, so say pecs and bis Monday, shoulders and triceps Tuesday, Wednesday day off, Thursday back and forearms, Friday legs... (weekend off)

Two things too take into account with what ive posted is you should never do triceps before pecs or shoulder routine. And a lot of people would not do a whole leg day in one sitting, but just how I do it. Also trick your muscles, if you do the same weights and reps for months your muscles get used to it. You have to up and lower weights and more or less reps, but still pushing your self as hard as you can.. Hope this help, but everyone is different..