mykeray is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Am I ready for a summer cut?

Hi,

Last 2 years I've been going to the gym to gain muscle mass and optimize for aesthetics, went from ~71 kg to ~77 kg at 181 cm height. Now I'm wondering if it's time to do a cut during summer, i.e. will I look good or do I need to put on more muscle mass first?.

I feel like it's hard for me to gain muscle, as it seems like I've mostly gained fat even though I've done all things right with diet, progressive overload, sleep etc. One of my main goals is to have a good six pack but I've always struggled with that last bit of belly fat.

In the first picture I was doing Muay Thai for 1-2 times/day & my body fat was under 10% as a guesstimate, but still I didn't really have any abs showing unless I flexed in the right angles. Do I need to do more ab work?

My training schedule right now is mainly zercher squats, pull up variations, row variations, dips, neck exercises and spamming variations of flyes (can't do chest or push workouts due to shoulder injury). No MT bc of other injuries.

(I was going to post before, after and a goal picture but I'm not allowed yet, so I'll do it in the comments)

Appreciate any tips!

mykeray is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by mykeray View Post
    Hi,

Last 2 years I've been going to the gym to gain muscle mass and optimize for aesthetics, went from ~71 kg to ~77 kg at 181 cm height. Now I'm wondering if it's time to do a cut during summer, i.e. will I look good or do I need to put on more muscle mass first?.

I feel like it's hard for me to gain muscle, as it seems like I've mostly gained fat even though I've done all things right with diet, progressive overload, sleep etc. One of my main goals is to have a good six pack but I've always struggled with that last bit of belly fat.

In the first picture I was doing Muay Thai for 1-2 times/day & my body fat was under 10% as a guesstimate, but still I didn't really have any abs showing unless I flexed in the right angles. Do I need to do more ab work?

My training schedule right now is mainly zercher squats, pull up variations, row variations, dips, neck exercises and spamming variations of flyes (can't do chest or push workouts due to shoulder injury). No MT bc of other injuries.

(I was going to post before, after and a goal picture but I'm not allowed yet, so I'll do it in the comments)

Appreciate any tips!
    Before & after: imgur.com/gallery/YwjmABr

Long term goal: imgur.com/a/4tzKeCx

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by mykeray View Post
    I feel like it's hard for me to gain muscle, as it seems like I've mostly gained fat even though I've done all things right with diet, progressive overload, sleep etc.
    You need to get rid of the common belief above of people who aren't happy with their muscle gain or lack thereof. If there really was nothing you could do better over the course of 2 years of working out, then there'd be no point working out anymore.

Regardless, you're not in "bad" shape so it's a subjective Q on whether you should cut or bulk since it comes down to how you personally want to look.

AncientYouth has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AncientYouth has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AncientYouth has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AncientYouth has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AncientYouth has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AncientYouth has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AncientYouth has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AncientYouth has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AncientYouth has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AncientYouth has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AncientYouth has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    not close to 10% fella , good shape but more 13-15%

the guy in the goal picture is prob 10-12% depending on fat distribution genetics

xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    In the first picture your bodyfat was about 15% in the second you're around 20%.

Concur with air2fakie, you're not in bad shape so its completely up to you on whether you should cut or bulk since it comes down to how you personally want to look.

If you want more ab definition you can probably get it, but you'll have to cut down even leaner than what you were in the first photo. Think 1st photo minus 10 more pounds.
    All it takes is consistency, effort, proper nutrition, good programming, and TIME.

Don't be upset with the results you didn't get from the work you did not do.

sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    To get close to your long term goal physique, you'll need to pack on some more muscle. When "bulking" it is very typical to put on fat along with the muscle. "Lean bulking" is great in theory but harder to pull off irl. So don't let a softer appearances while bulking discourage you or make you think you're not gaining muscle. If your lifts are going up along with your body weight, you're getting stronger and gaining muscle. To gain appreciable muscle like in your goal photo takes years of work, doesn't happen overnight, most likely through many cycles of bulking/cutting.

As said, you are in good shape already, so you could cut and look good, but not necessarily like the long-term goal photo. For that, you will need to bulk up a bit, then ultimately cut down. to 10% or lower.