Thread: show the abs

Rsurf72 is not very well liked. (-100) Rsurf72 is not very well liked. (-100) Rsurf72 is not very well liked. (-100) Rsurf72 is not very well liked. (-100) Rsurf72 is not very well liked. (-100) Rsurf72 is not very well liked. (-100) Rsurf72 is not very well liked. (-100) Rsurf72 is not very well liked. (-100) Rsurf72 is not very well liked. (-100) Rsurf72 is not very well liked. (-100) Rsurf72 is not very well liked. (-100)

show the abs

Hello all. I've been a fairly thin person my whole life, never had noticeable abs, not ecto. More like between meso..

I've been working out a year now, I'm 28, 5'11. 165.

I'm gaining strength, everyone in my family has a cut. Rest of their old fat bodies are fairly thin.

So on a GOOD day, you can see my top two or four abs. My arms are vascular, biceps bulging, tricep prominent, chest decent looking, shoulders and neck broadening thru training. and with a shirt on it looks like I'd be ripped.

However upon lifting the shirt, there's a layer of fat and small love handles. Lol.

Can I make gains by eating like a pig still on workout days and on off days getting small carbs but alot of protein and a little less fat than on workout days?
    Btw my diet is pretty much zero fast food/alcohol/ non smoker, no candy or chips w.e..

Cba counting with my new job.... I'll just hit my protein macros for sure, rest can be looksies.

I'd like to keep making strength gains.... Should I just broscience chicken and veggies this winter? Or is that so dumb and simply getting my protein and eating ( less carbs and fats = calories) will make me lose bodyfat

Any opinions on this? Or would that simply cause unnecessary stress on the body and reduce recovery, I do PPL with a rest day in-between every workout

Thank you

Ps- are deload weeks really neccesary...? I've been doing this program for about 3-4 months now without a deload.
    Do about 10 sets per work out

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Vague descriptions of current status, diet and training will only result in vague recommendations.
    Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

Rsurf72 is not very well liked. (-100) Rsurf72 is not very well liked. (-100) Rsurf72 is not very well liked. (-100) Rsurf72 is not very well liked. (-100) Rsurf72 is not very well liked. (-100) Rsurf72 is not very well liked. (-100) Rsurf72 is not very well liked. (-100) Rsurf72 is not very well liked. (-100) Rsurf72 is not very well liked. (-100) Rsurf72 is not very well liked. (-100) Rsurf72 is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by TolerantLactose View Post
    Vague descriptions of current status, diet and training will only result in vague recommendations.
    Steak and eggs for breakfast with toast, few hours later a big shake with Kashi go pb yogurt, later will have like a big chicken salad, then maybe a tuna sandwich, and before bed maybe something like a double cheeseburger with cottage cheese, or maybe some other meat with quinoa and rice.

I'll throw the occasional fruit in. And on workout days Ive been enjoying peanut butter oatmeal with a protein shake before I workout.

It's all homemade
    I'm not the strongest ive ever been but in close. Heaviest that's for sure, pushing 170 at times.
    Injured couple years back that stopped me.

My workouts pretty much

Push- bench, pyramid up to like 130lbs for 10 reps
    OHP 1 set of 15 or so
    Set of dips
    Tricep iso
    Side lats
    Push ups
    Rest

Pull- row, pyramid up to around 120
    Pull up set
    Bicep curl
    1h row or pull over
    Shrug
    Reverse delt
    Rest

Legs- coming back from knee pain
    I'll set some warm ups and few lunges then couple sets of squats with like 60lbs
    Few ab exercises and finish with neck curls
    Rest

I've been wanting to implement jogging, maybe after chest day

I was also thinking of just keeping everything the way it is until I max out at home which would be 160lb bench, as that's all my weights.

Then let my newly needed calories sort themselves out.

I've been really lifting on and off for a couple years, I've gained probably 15-20lbs total, I'd say half if not more has been muscle gains.

Ps- honestly as little as my workouts are I feel tired all the time like I'm overtraining, I'm eating a full meal every 3 hours so I doubt nutrition has anything to do with it, seeings how when I don't workout I eat like 2-3 times a day and am fine. Tripled my eating. Maybe my pullups and sit-ups and dips are causing certain muscles to not recover between sessions
    Last edited by Rsurf72; 06-29-2022 at 06:43 AM.

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You're not going to see abs while gaining weight and underdosing the training.
    Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

Originally Posted by TolerantLactose View Post
    You're not going to see abs while gaining weight and underdosing the training.
    Thank you for your response, I appreciate it. I feel like I'm barely recovering right now, so my underdosing the training may not be underdosing at all.

Thanks, I suppose me wanted my abs to show and wanting to make strength gains at the same time is an infectious project.

I used to brosplit workout and do like 20 sets per workout 4-5 days a week. But I dont think that is so great... It was Monday bi, T chest, W rest/abs, Th back,F shoulders. Saturday suppose to be legs but I'd usually skip and rest. Sunday cardio or rest. Monday repeat.

Made good gains but now I think it was good because it was my first time with weights so ofc I gain

sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Rsurf72 View Post

I've been working out a year now, I'm 28, 5'11. 165.

However upon lifting the shirt, there's a layer of fat and small love handles. Lol.
    This says it all. If at these stats you have a good amount of body fat and no hint of ab definition, you don't have enough muscle for the physique you probably want. And you've only been lifting for a year so that's not surprising. People with noticeably good physiques have spent years training to look like that.

2 options: either cut until you're lean enough to your liking; or bulk to put on some more muscle mass. Ultimately you'll need to do both, hard to say where to start without a photo. I'd encourage you to read stickies on nutrition and pick a proven lifting routine like Fierce 5 and build the foundation for a good physique. Worry about the abs later after the body has been built.

Originally Posted by sunsean View Post
    This says it all. If at these stats you have a good amount of body fat and no hint of ab definition, you don't have enough muscle for the physique you probably want. And you've only been lifting for a year so that's not surprising. People with noticeably good physiques have spent years training to look like that.

2 options: either cut until you're lean enough to your liking; or bulk to put on some more muscle mass. Ultimately you'll need to do both, hard to say where to start without a photo. I'd encourage you to read stickies on nutrition and pick a proven lifting routine like Fierce 5 and build the foundation for a good physique. Worry about the abs later after the body has been built.
    Thank you.

Guess I just felt a bit jacked. I have pecs and shoulders now. My arms gained 2 inches. But I'm still pretty thin haha. At @ 165/170 5ft 11.

Standing next to someone who really is built, it's obvious, I'm not.

Waiting for my dam knee to heal so I can beast the squats again. They were fun
    Patella
    Last edited by Rsurf72; 07-01-2022 at 04:32 AM.