lukaszz91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lukaszz91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lukaszz91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lukaszz91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lukaszz91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lukaszz91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lukaszz91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lukaszz91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lukaszz91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lukaszz91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lukaszz91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Simple upper/lower for mass & strength

I'm thinking about changing my split routine to the below upper/body. My current stats are:

BP: 225x8
    Squat: 275x6
    DL: 345x6

What do you think? Would you change anything? Given RDL and DL in the routine, I'm thinking about removing the "optional" back exercises to save time.

Monday: Upper Body

Bench Press: 4 sets of 6-8 repetitions
    Bent Over Row: 4 sets of 6-8 repetitions
    Dumbbell Shoulder Press: 3 sets of 10-12 repetitions
    Lat Pull-down (underhand grip): 3 sets of 10-12 repetitions (optional)
    Tricep Extensions: 3 sets of 10-12 repetitions
    Bicep Curl: 3 sets of 10-12 repetitions

Tuesday: Lower Body

Squat: 4 sets of 6-8 repetitions
    RDL: 4 sets of 6-8 repetitions
    Lunges: 3 sets of 10-12 repetitions
    Hamstring Curl: 3 sets of 10-12 repetitions
    Standing Calf Raises: 3 sets of 10-12 repetitions
    Abs

Wednesday: Cardio/Off

Thursday: Upper Body

Incline Bench Press: 4 sets of 6-8 repetitions
    Weighted Pull-ups: 4 sets of 6-8 repetitions
    Barbell Shoulder Press: 3 sets of 10-12 repetitions
    Seated Row: 3 sets of 10-12 repetitions (optional)
    Tricep Pushdowns: 3 sets of 10-12 repetitions
    Incline DB Curls: 3 sets of 10-12 repetitions

Friday: Lower Body

Deadlift: 4 sets of 6
    Leg Press: 4 sets of 6-8 repetitions
    Leg Extension: 3 sets of 10-12 repetitions
    Seated Calf Raises: 3 sets of 10-12 repetitions
    Abs

Rest between the sets of 6-8 is 3min, and for the rest it's 2 min for compounds and 1-1:30 min for isolations.

coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by lukaszz91 View Post
    I'm thinking about changing my split routine to the below upper/body. My current stats are:

BP: 225x8
    Squat: 275x6
    DL: 345x6

What do you think? Would you change anything? Given RDL and DL in the routine, I'm thinking about removing the "optional" back exercises to save time.

Dumbbell Shoulder Press: 3 sets of 10-12 repetitions
    Lat Pull-down (underhand grip): 3 sets of 10-12 repetitions (optional)

Abs

Seated Row: 3 sets of 10-12 repetitions (optional)

Abs

Rest between the sets of 6-8 is 3min, and for the rest it's 2 min for compounds and 1-1:30 min for isolations.

Pretty solid.

Personal preference being what it is, there are things I’d change or add..
    I’d bench and incline bench twice a week. I’d add upright rows to Mon/Thurs , I’d add close grip pulldowns to thurs in place of pull-ups (I love cLose grip pulldowns)

I’d also reduce deadlift rep range to 3-5 and constantly push the iron heavier there in that range.
    Finally as I like more arm volume, and want equal time in the gym each day, I’d move bis/tris to after legs.
    "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. "By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."

Old Guy deadlifting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zMrim-0Dks
    bench press https://youtu.be/GaRzfueJVJQ

Every workout is GAME DAY!

lukaszz91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lukaszz91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lukaszz91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lukaszz91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lukaszz91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lukaszz91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lukaszz91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lukaszz91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lukaszz91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lukaszz91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lukaszz91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks coach, anyone else?

Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Perfect as is.

I personally do zero overhead pressing because my goals are aesthetics, and overhead pressing wastes a ton of effort and recovery for such a small muscle that can be hit just as well on an incline bench.

But obviously overhead pressing is great if you're objective is athletic sports that require the movement pattern.

* lateral raises and facepulls are pretty good to throw in there, for overall devopment and protection of the shoulders.
    ► Intermediate Bodybuilding Classic Physique ► Renaissance Periodization Programming
    ► https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=180349883
    ► Progress Pictures
    ► https://i.ibb.co/r6RKF4p/Progress-Pictures.png

FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Only thing I would change, similar to what Calande recommended:

On Monday do two pressing movements (flat barbell bench then incline DB bench, for example), then follow those up with a shoulder isolation (DB raises, etc.).

Then on Thursday do only one pressing movement, followed by your overhead press movement. Don't necessarily need to overhead press twice a week when shoulders are already getting indirect work from benching. Unless if there's a specific reason you need more overhead work.

If you are going to deadlift twice a week, I would only do 1 upper back exercise on each upper day. Maybe one day with a vertical movement and the other day a rowing movement. And instead of leg press after deadlifts on Friday, I'd (optimally) suggest a squat variation. Maybe front squat, or the opposite bar position / stance you would normally squat with.

Other than that, looks good
    Email to chat about programming or anything training related : FurtadoZ9@outlook.com

MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Upper days...
    Id do flat bench work on both days
    Incline on one
    Overhead on the other

Looks pretty good really.
    What is the progression strategy?
    FMH crew - Couch.

'pick a program from the stickies' = biggest cop out post.

Thank a lot overyone.

The progression strategy is to up weight when I get to the top end of the rep range on my first set with a rep or two spare and end up anywhere in the prescribed rep range for remaining sets. Does this sound reasonable?

Here is the updated version:

Dumbbell Incline Press: 3 sets of 10-12 repetitions
    Lateral Raises: 3 sets of 10-12 repetitions

Abs

Abs

jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Camarija View Post
    Perfect as is.
    I personally do zero overhead pressing because my goals are aesthetics, and overhead pressing wastes a ton of effort and recovery for such a small muscle that can be hit just as well on an incline bench.
    Come on, it's not only front delts.
    Standin OHP - delts, upper back, erectors, abs, tris, clavicular pecs + the scapular movement

I agree it is not the best for hyp because, like you said, you waste effort and recovery... for some muscle groups that can grow fine from other exercises.
    Even without incline, a cable front shoulder raise does the trick and you recover fast from it.
    I like to learn from the mistakes of the people who take my advice.

Registered User Deep-Voiced-One's Avatar
    Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by coachcalande View Post
    Pretty solid.

Personal preference being what it is, there are things I’d change or add..
    I’d bench and incline bench twice a week. I’d add upright rows to Mon/Thurs , I’d add close grip pulldowns to thurs in place of pull-ups (I love cLose grip pulldowns)

I’d also reduce deadlift rep range to 3-5 and constantly push the iron heavier there in that range.
    Finally as I like more arm volume, and want equal time in the gym each day, I’d move bis/tris to after legs.

Looking to add incline bench in twice somewhere after bench myself on an upper/lower, basically adding the barbell version on the upper day 2...

Upper day 1's looks like this...

Flat barbell bench 4 sets of 6-8 reps

Barbell row 4 sets of 6-8 reps

OHP 3 sets of a rep goal of 25 reps

Superset with 3 sets of pull ups (AMRAP)

Incline DB bench (set to 20° angle) 3 sets of 10-12 reps

Seated machine rows (unilateral arms), or low cable rows 3 sets of a rep goal of 30.

Facepulls superset with straight arm pulldowns 3 sets of a rep goal of 30.

For upper day 2 I was thinking of adding incline barbell bench and swapping out OHPs, something like this...

(OHP, or DB shoulder press would originally be placed here), but instead...

Incline barbell bench (set to 30° angle) 3 sets of 10-12 reps

Lat pulldown 3 sets 10-15 reps, or 3 sets of pull ups (AMRAP)

DB lateral raise 3 sets of a rep goal of 30

Superset with

Machine lever arm shrugs 3 sets of a rep goal of 30.

Barbell curl superset with EZ bar lying triceps extensions 3 sets of a rep goal of 30.

Cable hammer curls superset with triceps pressdowns, or cable triceps overhead extensions 3 sets of a rep goal of 30.

Would that be fine taking out OHPs, or DB shoulder press the 2nd day in favor of incline barbell bench as an example above, or should it remain as a pairing similar to upper day 1's order?

Might even throw in a bit more back work on the upper day 2 and move any arm work to the lower days at the end (that's a good suggestion).
    Last edited by Deep-Voiced-One; 07-02-2022 at 06:30 AM.

coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Deep-Voiced-One View Post
    Looking to add incline bench in twice somewhere after bench myself on an upper/lower, basically adding the barbell version on the upper day 2...

Upper day 1's looks like this...

OHP 3 sets of a rep goal of 25 reps

Superset with 3 sets of pull ups (AMRAP)

Incline DB bench (set to 20° angle) 3 sets of 10-12 reps

Seated machine rows (unilateral arms), or low cable rows 3 sets of a rep goal of 30.

Facepulls superset with straight arm pulldowns 3 sets of a rep goal of 30.

For upper day 2 I was thinking of adding incline barbell bench and swapping out OHPs, something like this...

(OHP, or DB shoulder press would originally be placed here), but instead...

Incline barbell bench (set to 30° angle) 3 sets of 10-12 reps

Lat pulldown 3 sets 10-15 reps, or 3 sets of pull ups (AMRAP)

DB lateral raise 3 sets of a rep goal of 30

Superset with

Machine lever arm shrugs 3 sets of a rep goal of 30.

Barbell curl superset with EZ bar lying triceps extensions 3 sets of a rep goal of 30.

Cable hammer curls superset with triceps pressdowns, or cable triceps overhead extensions 3 sets of a rep goal of 30.

Would that be fine taking out OHPs, or DB shoulder press the 2nd day in favor of incline barbell bench as an example above, or should it remain as a pairing similar to upper day 1's order?

Might even throw in a bit more back work on the upper day 2 and move any arm work to the lower days at the end (that's a good suggestion).

I see zero rationale to avoid all three of these on an upper body day:

Flat bench
    Incline bench
    Shoulder press (barbell or db)

I always included all three.
    "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. "By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."

Just so you know this is my routine:

Torso day (chest/back/shoulders)

Bench/row
    Incline/ wide lat pulldowns
    Fly/ narrow pulldowns
    Shoulder press
    Upright rows
    Db side laterals
    Shrugs

Rest day

Limbs day (legs/arms)

Squats
    Front squats
    Leg ext
    Leg curls
    Standing calf raises

Ez bar curls/ pushdowns
    Alt db curls/ skull crushers

Rest day

Each workout is 75-90 min depending on screwing around making videos (see my YouTube)

Registered User Deep-Voiced-One's Avatar
    Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Thanks for the insight Coach and the fast response from earlier, looks like a good routine and to implement a few ideas into my own routine this way.

Just out of curiousity, where do you incorporate deadlifts, or RDLs into your own routine?

Originally Posted by Deep-Voiced-One View Post
    Thanks for the insight Coach and the fast response from earlier, looks like a good routine and to implement a few ideas into my own routine this way.

Just out of curiousity, where do you incorporate deadlifts, or RDLs into your own routine?

Deadlift for me :

Drop squats and focus on deadlifts for that leg day. I’d always ramp up to several heavy 3-5 rep sets and a single sometimes. I suggest doing this only every 2-3 leg days. I can only do this when I train in the school gym or I’ll destroy my garage floor.

Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by jaxqen View Post
    Come on, it's not only front delts.
    Standin OHP - delts, upper back, erectors, abs, tris, clavicular pecs + the scapular movement

I agree it is not the best for hyp because, like you said, you waste effort and recovery... for some muscle groups that can grow fine from other exercises.
    Even without incline, a cable front shoulder raise does the trick and you recover fast from it.
    Sure, it works other muscle groups, but it does so with wild inefficiency.

Honestly, I don't even bother training the front delt directly. It gets hammered from all of the other pushing movements already, there's no need to do more.

Spoiler!

But again, it depends on your goals. If you're not after aesthetics, you just want to be able to overhead press a bar good, go for it.
    ► Intermediate Bodybuilding Classic Physique ► Renaissance Periodization Programming
    ► https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=180349883
    ► Progress Pictures
    ► https://i.ibb.co/r6RKF4p/Progress-Pictures.png

BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Thank a lot overyone.

The progression strategy is to up weight when I get to the top end of the rep range on my first set with a rep or two spare and end up anywhere in the prescribed rep range for remaining sets. Does this sound reasonable?

Here is the updated version:

Dumbbell Incline Press: 3 sets of 10-12 repetitions
    Lateral Raises: 3 sets of 10-12 repetitions

Abs

Abs
    Not enough pulling on upper body days.
    --There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

--Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81

--The proper plural form of the Latin adjective biceps is bicipites, a form not in general English use. Instead, biceps is used in both singular and plural (i.e., when referring to both arms). The form bicep [sic], although common even in professional contexts, is considered incorrect. (from Wikipedia)

Originally Posted by BG5150 View Post
    Not enough pulling on upper body days.
    But there are 8 sets of deadlifts a week on lower days. Isn't that enough? I want to keep the workouts below 60 min each...

BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    But there are 8 sets of deadlifts a week on lower days. Isn't that enough? I want to keep the workouts below 60 min each...
    No. Put more horizonal and vertical pulling in there. DB rows, pulldowns and chins with varied grips, seated rows, Pendlay rows....
    --There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

--Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81

--The proper plural form of the Latin adjective biceps is bicipites, a form not in general English use. Instead, biceps is used in both singular and plural (i.e., when referring to both arms). The form bicep [sic], although common even in professional contexts, is considered incorrect. (from Wikipedia)

FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by BG5150 View Post
    No. Put more horizonal and vertical pulling in there. DB rows, pulldowns and chins with varied grips, seated rows, Pendlay rows....
    His back is getting worked 4x a week. 2x deadlifting, 4-5 sets on each upper day for a row/pull. More than enough.
    Email to chat about programming or anything training related : FurtadoZ9@outlook.com