edhalsim will become famous soon enough. (+50) edhalsim will become famous soon enough. (+50) edhalsim will become famous soon enough. (+50) edhalsim will become famous soon enough. (+50) edhalsim will become famous soon enough. (+50) edhalsim will become famous soon enough. (+50) edhalsim will become famous soon enough. (+50) edhalsim will become famous soon enough. (+50) edhalsim will become famous soon enough. (+50) edhalsim will become famous soon enough. (+50) edhalsim will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Just turned 60 - need direction from a coach

Hi,

I just turned 60 and I'm looking for some direction to get in better shape. I'm 6'1" and have weighed 174 since college. Yes I'm an ectomorph/hard gainer. My goals are to improve core strength, reduce stomach fat and improve upper-body muscle definition so I look better in the mirror without a shirt on. Legs are fine.

I've only worked out sporadically over the years. I'm looking for suggestions as to which exercises to do including reps/sets. I'm a member at a nearby rec. center that has weights that I can go to 2-3x/week. I'm in good health and have no physical limitations except my right shoulder and lower back can be tender at times.

Thanks for any suggestions.
    Ed

taking March-No-Post pilz weiss1967's Avatar
    weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by edhalsim View Post
    Hi,

I just turned 60 and I'm looking for some direction to get in better shape. I'm 6'1" and have weighed 174 since college. Yes I'm an ectomorph/hard gainer. My goals are to improve core strength, reduce stomach fat and improve upper-body muscle definition so I look better in the mirror without a shirt on. Legs are fine.

I've only worked out sporadically over the years. I'm looking for suggestions as to which exercises to do including reps/sets. I'm a member at a nearby rec. center that has weights that I can go to 2-3x/week. I'm in good health and have no physical limitations except my right shoulder and lower back can be tender at times.

Ed
    rec center would have a coach. This is expensive option, but will get you started. My preferred option over the years was occasionally buying lifting magazines ( Flex, Mens Health and whatnot). Every issue has a routine printed in it. Quite often routine will not elaborate, only list exercises, but with youtube you can quickly see what is what.

Amount of info (too much ) will be against you. Pick one routine and do not deviate, give it some time to work for you. Gravitate towards humble higher reps routines. Fool around with ridiculously light weights for the first month, you need time to adapt.

2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    David

xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Body ****totypes were debunked long ago and have no scientific basis behind them. They were invented by a psychologist back in the 1940's in an attempt to classify people based on their body shape. So you're not an "ectomorph/hardgainer", you're an underdeveloped undereater.

If I had a dollar for every time a person said "legs are fine" who couldn't even squat their own bodyweight. So yeah, highly doubtful unless you've been strength training your legs that they're "fine" for anything other than walking. Do not ignore your legs, they are the foundation for your entire body.

There are plenty of excellent free programs in the Workout Program Forum. Fierce 5 and All Pro are two of the most popular & proven programs, but there are others (starting strength, stronglifts 5x5, etc).

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...hp?t=159678631

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...hp?t=179232481
    All it takes is consistency, effort, proper nutrition, good programming, and TIME.

Don't be upset with the results you didn't get from the work you did not do.

coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Hi,

Ed

Ed, I’ll work with you free just because I enjoy helping others.

I’m on Twitter and YouTube and help folks bulk up free of charge. Teacher/coach and trainer of athletes for over 20 years so I have a ton of experience with all kinds of body types and builds.

In the end this change you seek requires focus on adequate nutrition and consistent training in some basic movements.

Two sessions a week, 60-75 min each is plenty to get you really changing.

Send me a private message here or on Twitter and we can discuss a simple plan to fit your gym schedule and goals.
    "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. "By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."

Old Guy deadlifting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zMrim-0Dks
    bench press https://youtu.be/GaRzfueJVJQ

Every workout is GAME DAY!

2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Hi,

Ed
    Good morning,

I’m willing to provide a free assessment to you, as you seem like someone I can help. I currently have multiple clients in their 60s.

If you want to see my reliability in helping others, look into my sticky’d Growth Stimulus Training threads in the Workout Programs section. I’ve been managing them for over 10 years now.

PM me with your email address and I’ll send some questions your way. You can email me as well: ryan@growthstimulustraining.com.

Talk to you soon,

Ryan
    trainingwithryan.substack.com