IronRebel91 is on a distinguished road. (+10) IronRebel91 is on a distinguished road. (+10) IronRebel91 is on a distinguished road. (+10) IronRebel91 is on a distinguished road. (+10) IronRebel91 is on a distinguished road. (+10) IronRebel91 is on a distinguished road. (+10) IronRebel91 is on a distinguished road. (+10) IronRebel91 is on a distinguished road. (+10) IronRebel91 is on a distinguished road. (+10) IronRebel91 is on a distinguished road. (+10) IronRebel91 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Novice, advice needed

Hey guys. First time posting.
    Ive been working out for abit managed to drop 22lbs now i am at 226.6lbs for a couple of weeks now cause of inconsistent diet but trying to get there
    Ive been training the wrong way, PPL. Which I know with my numbers aint the best way. I dont wanna do FB cause I wanna go atleast 4x to the gym for weight training. So 4x fb or upper lower best right?
    Ive been searching for abit and also gave hypertrophycoach app a go for 1 month. I thought why not. I noticed on their programming even for novices they approach it differently then what most recommend. Instead of squat, dl/rdl, ohp, bench, they mostly go for incline, db bench, front squat/heel elevated squats etc. Why is this? And after 4 weeks they crank up the volume abit by adding some exercises (hip extension, flyes, etc) but they reduce the sets from 4 (3 RIR) to 2 (0 RIR)

You think this is a good way for a novice to workout specially like me who has to be in a deficit for a good while? Or best stick to major barbell compounds and build my strength? Ive got some other questions but I rather start with this and see where the conversation goes if anyone helps me out

Anyways thanks in advance guys

FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    If your only goal is weight loss then you can approach it anyway you want. A kcal deficit is a deficit.

What are your other fitness goals aside from weight loss?
    Email to chat about programming or anything training related : FurtadoZ9@outlook.com

TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I think the first step is to get the fat off. Cut to around 12%. Stay there for a while. As far as programming I like to start with the least amount of volume that a lifter can grow from. That’s usually a 2-3 day full body setup that increases weight weekly. After 6 months would be a good time to move to a split routine to increase volume. Typically an upper lower split to keep a good frequency so the lifter doesn’t get so sore that it affects training. You can run something like Lyle McDonald’s GBR for a good 2 years while rotating bulk and cut phases. That’s basically novice to intermediate. If you want more days I’d suggest cardio on your off days. That will help keep you in a calorie deficit more than weight training will..

IronRebel91 is on a distinguished road. (+10) IronRebel91 is on a distinguished road. (+10) IronRebel91 is on a distinguished road. (+10) IronRebel91 is on a distinguished road. (+10) IronRebel91 is on a distinguished road. (+10) IronRebel91 is on a distinguished road. (+10) IronRebel91 is on a distinguished road. (+10) IronRebel91 is on a distinguished road. (+10) IronRebel91 is on a distinguished road. (+10) IronRebel91 is on a distinguished road. (+10) IronRebel91 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thanks for the replies

@FurtadoZ9: so it doesn’t matter which routine or stick to basics?
    The typical; improve body physique, feel happy about my body

@TAWS6: Yeah, I definitly need go cut down the fat, 44lbs atleast I reckon to reach that % kinda
    So you think better stick to full body instead of upper lower? You got any reason to think why Joe Bennets exercise selection is so different then what most people recommend here (and in reddit)?
    If full body is the way to go, you got a few routines to recommend me? I reckon f5 is one but any other?
    My lifts atm are
    Dl: 198lbs
    Squat: 154lbs
    Bench: 121lbs
    Ohp: 82.5lbs

TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Exercise selection can vary from person to person. Some people are not built well for certain lifts. As long as you use progressive tension overload over time it doesn’t really matter for hypertrophy. Full body is the place for a novice to start imo. Upper lowers are higher volume per session and lower frequency. Two things novices don’t want. I think upper lowers are perfect for intermediate lifters who are stronger and getting beat up by full body training. At your level full body work outs should not be very difficult. Once your benching 225 and squatting 315 for reps the workouts get too long and grindy imo and a split is better for most.

Originally Posted by TAWS6 View Post
    Exercise selection can vary from person to person. Some people are not built well for certain lifts. As long as you use progressive tension overload over time it doesn’t really matter for hypertrophy. Full body is the place for a novice to start imo. Upper lowers are higher volume per session and lower frequency. Two things novices don’t want. I think upper lowers are perfect for intermediate lifters who are stronger and getting beat up by full body training. At your level full body work outs should not be very difficult. Once your benching 225 and squatting 315 for reps the workouts get too long and grindy imo and a split is better for most.
    Copy. I can do all the basics since Ive always focussed on nailing down the form of the big 4 so dont think theyre an issue for me, not the tallest in limbs (shorter femurs longer torso but just 5ft6.9)
    Which Full Body routines could you recommend me? Stickies here only mention F5, using google and looking wider I come across viking bare bones gslp (not phraks edition is also what I see alot), thinking about others but cant come up with them, whats your top choices?

It doesn’t really matter much. I like All pros the best for lifters cutting.

themorganator4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) themorganator4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) themorganator4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) themorganator4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) themorganator4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) themorganator4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) themorganator4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) themorganator4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) themorganator4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) themorganator4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) themorganator4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by IronRebel91 View Post
    Copy. I can do all the basics since Ive always focussed on nailing down the form of the big 4 so dont think theyre an issue for me, not the tallest in limbs (shorter femurs longer torso but just 5ft6.9)
    Which Full Body routines could you recommend me? Stickies here only mention F5, using google and looking wider I come across viking bare bones gslp (not phraks edition is also what I see alot), thinking about others but cant come up with them, whats your top choices?
    I have tried both, I preferred the Vikings barebones as it was more intense and worked for me.

As a beginner, you can pretty much look at weights and put on muscle so as long as you do your compound lifts you're good.

As others have said, if your main goal is to lose fat then technically you only need a calorie deficit to achieve that but as a beginner if you lift weights as well you will gain muscle which in turn will increase your metabolism, burning more calories. Win win.

themorganator4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) themorganator4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) themorganator4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) themorganator4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) themorganator4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) themorganator4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) themorganator4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) themorganator4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) themorganator4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) themorganator4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) themorganator4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by TAWS6 View Post
    I can 100% agree with this, as a ectomorph (tall and skinny bodytype) squats plain suck ass for me so I don't do them. Why? Because I spent more time being injured with back/knee issues than I was at the gym. My thighs are just too long for squats! (Yes I had form checked many times and no issues)

Im now progressing on my legs after chucking them and doing belt squats instead.

Just because everyone says you have to do them, doesn't mean you need to kill yourself to do them.

@TAWS: Mind If I put a routine here or best open a new topic? Its GSLP but added some plugins, might be too much but want your opinion on them, I like the look of it the basics + amraps and abit of freedom of plugins, will be doing 2 to 3 days cardio. Am still reading the book slowly.