Dwalls1997 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Need help. How should I go about getting to 10% bf?

I'm at a crossroads here. I'm a little frustrated but learning to enjoy/accept the process lol. I'm new here as of today but I've been obsessed with bodybuilding and the fitness lifestyle on and off for 10 years now. As far as genetics go, they aren't great. Always struggled with weight my entire life, been an uphill battle which I'm sure many of you can relate. I've been through it all as far as fad diets, workout programs, etc. Some worked better than others but overall here I am. As of now, I've learned the best diet to do is flexible, mostly healthy, enjoyable, and sustainable. As far as my stats go...

I'm 25y/o Male
    5 ' 11"
    265lbs
    Body fat 35-38%(renpho scale??)
    LBM 165lbs(renpho scale??)
    38" waist
    Endo-Mesomorph (Endo dominant)

So far, my goal is to finally reach 10% body fat with as much muscle as possible (naturally). My ideal physique is anywhere between fitness model/bodybuilder. Hopefully this is at around 180lbs. In other words, beachbody, slim, fit, muscular/defined, and looking muscular in/out of clothes. I love following the bodybuilding community but I want to achieve my goals naturally and connect with individuals who are similar to me as well. Although, I am envious of those "genetically gifted freaks" or those hyper responders that are on the "sauzule" who get great results. As far as my diet and training goes, after getting really sick I was on a lifting hiatus for 6 months and now I'm back at it. I try doing a FBW split 3-4 days, 5k steps, and 30 mins of LISS cardio and maybe thinking about throwing in some hiit too once or twice a week. I find that I usually respond well with high volume/light weights and heavy weights/lower reps so I switch off. My main concern is diet/macros. I'm not sure how to proceed! I've been using the renpho scale for a couple years but now I'm pretty sure it's very inaccurate. It says my bmr is 1900cals but every calculator online says its anywhere between 2100-2200 cals. I'm sure I've been under eating for some time. I have been prediabetic and insulin resistant since I was 15. Has not gone away regardless of weight loss. Recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism and sleep apnea but I'm pushing to fix these things. Given my prediabetic nature, I tried keto which did work quite well naturally but I was so lethargic, weak, and it wasn't sustainable. I'm trying to avoid getting frustrated and going back to that but I don't know how I should proceed. Currently, I'm eating 2400-2700 calories on my workout days and off days I eat a little less. I intermittent fast, carb cycling between 100 -150g and 200+g protein. I'm just worried if this is the right way or not. I don't want to to be bloated or gain weight but I need more carbs for the energy. Should I lower them further or just wait and see for a while? Anybody been in similar situation? Also, although they aren't natty my goal physique is Austin Dunham or Mike Thurston. What is your honest opinion of my physique and stats? How should my nutrition be as far as diet and macros? Pics in my bodyspace
    Last edited by Dwalls1997; 06-25-2022 at 07:43 PM.

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If you're close to 40% bf & have struggled with weight your entire life, you're not helping yourself by aiming for a goal of 10% bf. Try to set a nearish-term goal which is realistic given your history, then set new goals once you get there.

You should set your calorie intake such that you're consistently losing weight at a rate that's acceptable to you.

Dwalls1997 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    If you're close to 40% bf & have struggled with weight your entire life, you're not helping yourself by aiming for a goal of 10% bf. Try to set a nearish-term goal which is realistic given your history, then set new goals once you get there.

You should set your calorie intake such that you're consistently losing weight at a rate that's acceptable to you.
    True, 1-3lbs/week is good for me. Yes, I'm very aware of how lofty the goal is for sure but I'm just setting it as a marker. It won't happen overnight no doubt but I know what is realistic for me which I think is like maybe a solid 200lbs. 10% is just in an ideal setting where I want to be eventually.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Ultimately it's a numbers game - whatever it takes to control your calorie intake and sustain a deficit over a long period of time. Everything else is peripheral. I only scanned what you wrote and noticed a few common tropes like IF and carb cycling. Know that these things have no special effect on dieting and if you find them getting in the way of achieving a sustained deficit then drop them. On the other hand, IF does help some people to control their appetite. Carb cycling on the other hand is a needless complication, if you are in this for the long haul, your want to be flexible and to keep things simple - otherwise simple things like social events can throw a real spanner in the works. Don't be the crazy person that brings little tupperware containers to parties....