jeremybra is on a distinguished road. (+10) jeremybra is on a distinguished road. (+10) jeremybra is on a distinguished road. (+10) jeremybra is on a distinguished road. (+10) jeremybra is on a distinguished road. (+10) jeremybra is on a distinguished road. (+10) jeremybra is on a distinguished road. (+10) jeremybra is on a distinguished road. (+10) jeremybra is on a distinguished road. (+10) jeremybra is on a distinguished road. (+10) jeremybra is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Question about progression in the Fierce 5 novice routine

Hey guys, I'm currently doing Fierce 5 novice routine with allowed deadlifts, leg curls, and pull up substitutions in workout B

Workout A
    Squat 3x5
    Bench 3x5
    Pendlay Rows 3x8
    Face Pulls 3x10
    Calf raises 2x15/Skullcrushers 2x10 Superset

Workout B
    Deadlift 3x5
    Overhead Press 3x5
    Pull Up 3x8 (any grip)
    Leg Curl 3x10
    Ab work 2x15/Bicep curls 2x10 Superset

I fully got the idea, how to progress on 3x5 lifts, that "For the exercises in the 5 rep range add 1 rep per set during the weeks you aren’t increasing weight".

But what I've started to question is "For exercises in the 8-15 range add 2 reps per set during weeks you aren’t increasing weight". How is it possible? For example I've done 55lb Barbell curls yesterday 2x8, going near failure. I can't even imagine going 2x10 in the next B workout, because I'll start to cheat. And then after that I should increase the weight the next workout even though I haven't mastered the previous weight? Shouldn't the progression scheme on isolation exercises be a little bit slower, maybe adding 1 rep more to the exercise? For example first day 8,8, the next B workout 9,8, then 9,9 and etc?

Can someone explain it to me? Thanks for the answers.

themorganator4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) themorganator4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) themorganator4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) themorganator4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) themorganator4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) themorganator4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) themorganator4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) themorganator4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) themorganator4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) themorganator4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) themorganator4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by jeremybra View Post
    Hey guys, I'm currently doing Fierce 5 novice routine with allowed deadlifts, leg curls, and pull up substitutions in workout B

Workout A
    Squat 3x5
    Bench 3x5
    Pendlay Rows 3x8
    Face Pulls 3x10
    Calf raises 2x15/Skullcrushers 2x10 Superset

Workout B
    Deadlift 3x5
    Overhead Press 3x5
    Pull Up 3x8 (any grip)
    Leg Curl 3x10
    Ab work 2x15/Bicep curls 2x10 Superset

I fully got the idea, how to progress on 3x5 lifts, that "For the exercises in the 5 rep range add 1 rep per set during the weeks you aren’t increasing weight".

But what I've started to question is "For exercises in the 8-15 range add 2 reps per set during weeks you aren’t increasing weight". How is it possible? For example I've done 55lb Barbell curls yesterday 2x8, going near failure. I can't even imagine going 2x10 in the next B workout, because I'll start to cheat. And then after that I should increase the weight the next workout even though I haven't mastered the previous weight? Shouldn't the progression scheme on isolation exercises be a little bit slower, maybe adding 1 rep more to the exercise? For example first day 8,8, the next B workout 9,8, then 9,9 and etc?

Can someone explain it to me? Thanks for the answers.
    A few questions:

How long have you been doing this programme?

Have many times have you failed to increase reps on barbell curl.

Have you failed to increase reps on any of your compound workouts and if so, how long for.

jeremybra is on a distinguished road. (+10) jeremybra is on a distinguished road. (+10) jeremybra is on a distinguished road. (+10) jeremybra is on a distinguished road. (+10) jeremybra is on a distinguished road. (+10) jeremybra is on a distinguished road. (+10) jeremybra is on a distinguished road. (+10) jeremybra is on a distinguished road. (+10) jeremybra is on a distinguished road. (+10) jeremybra is on a distinguished road. (+10) jeremybra is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by themorganator4 View Post
    A few questions:

How long have you been doing this programme?

Have many times have you failed to increase reps on barbell curl.

Have you failed to increase reps on any of your compound workouts and if so, how long for.
    Currently for a 1 month I'm doing this routine.

This was the third time with barbell curls. It all got started when I increased weight from 50lbs to 55lbs and got 6, 6 reps first time. Then I got 8 and 7 on the second time. Now (yesterday) I got 8, 8 reps. I'm progressing no doubt, but it isn't as written by the Fierce 5 author so I've started to question that.

The compound lifts are doing well for now. I got stuck once on OHP 105lbs, when i did 5, 4 and 3 reps, but then the next time i got all 5 reps across 3 sets.

themorganator4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) themorganator4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) themorganator4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) themorganator4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) themorganator4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) themorganator4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) themorganator4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) themorganator4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) themorganator4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) themorganator4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) themorganator4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by jeremybra View Post
    Currently for a 1 month I'm doing this routine.

This was the third time with barbell curls. It all got started when I increased weight from 50lbs to 55lbs and got 6, 6 reps first time. Then I got 8 and 7 on the second time. Now (yesterday) I got 8, 8 reps. I'm progressing no doubt, but it isn't as written by the Fierce 5 author so I've started to question that.

The compound lifts are doing well for now. I got stuck once on OHP 105lbs, when i did 5, 4 and 3 reps, but then the next time i got all 5 reps across 3 sets.

You're still progressing, carry on, you're not going to increase weight every workout, especially on iso excersises as the muscles are a lot smaller. I'm lucky if i get an extra 2 reps a month on bicep isos but I am an intermediate lifter so it is expected.
    Last edited by themorganator4; 06-27-2022 at 12:58 AM.