Obewon9449 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Obewon9449 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Obewon9449 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Obewon9449 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Obewon9449 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Obewon9449 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Obewon9449 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Obewon9449 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Obewon9449 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Obewon9449 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Obewon9449 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Nutrition rookie in need of some help

I am currently 32 years old, 256 pounds with a height of 6' 0" & an estimated BMI of 34.7% (online calculator estimate). Ten years ago I was in very great shape (165 pounds, benching 240 & able to jog 5 miles nonstop with ease). I am not looking to get back to that level of fitness but I am wanting to lose fat, build muscle & just be overall more healthy, just like everyone else on this site.

I already have some gym equipment so I figured my next step would be getting my nutrition in order & then go from there. An important variable I had to research while making my "nutrition guidelines" was that I am on lisinopril due to high blood pressure. This means that I need to focus on a lower sodium diet while limiting my potassium intake as lisinopril can increase blood potassium levels so it's recommended to keep this under 2,000mg per day. Anyway, below is what I have came up with on what I should be aiming for in terms of nutrition as well as my daily meal plan. It is worth noting that I do not eat for pleasure & that I have absolutely no problem eating the same type(s) of food everyday. Feel free to add to anything I'm missing & critique away.

Calories: 2,300
    Macros: 35P/35C/30F
    Protein: 201.25g (805 calories)
    Carbs: 201.25g (805 calories)
    Fats: 77g (690 calories)
    Saturated fats: 20g
    Cholesterol: 300mg>
    Sodium: 2,300mg>
    Sugar: 35g>
    Fiber: 30g +/-
    Mono fat: 55g>
    Poly fat: 27.5g>
    Potassium: 2,000mg>

Breakfast: 5 hardboiled egg whites (whites only) + 40g (1/4) of avocado spread on one slice of whole wheat bread.
    Snack #1: Soy protein shake (190 calories, 170mg sodium & 20g protein) + 140g (5oz) of blueberries.
    Lunch: 8oz of 93% lean turkey meat + 1 cup of cooked white rice.
    Snack #2: Another soy protein shake.
    Dinner: 8oz of 93% lean turkey meat + 1 cup of cooked white rice.
    Snack #3: One final soy protein shake.
    Cost: $6.62 per day without blueberries, $8.09 per day with blueberries.

Final numbers:
    Calories: 1,829 / 2,300
    Protein: 181.75g / 201.25g
    Carbs: 107.5g / 201.25g
    Fats: 40g / 77g
    Saturated fats: 14.75g / 20g
    Cholesterol: 320mg / 300mg
    Sodium: 1,328mg / 2,300mg
    Sugar: 18g / 35g
    Fiber: 8.5g / 30g
    Mono fat: 3.5g / 55g
    Poly fat: 1.75g / 27.5g
    Potassium: 1,780mg / 2,000mg

I understand that the meals look very basic but this is all that I could come up with which is why I am asking for some help on what to critique and/or add. Keeping the sodium low was easy but keeping the cholesterol & potassium intake low is extremely difficult (potassium is in almost everything!). Another thing worth noting is that this is before any seasoning so one can imagine that the sodium is lower than what the final true number would be, although I could substitute seasoning for very hot hot sauce (I LOVE hot sauce - Hot Heads from Hot Ones is my favorite at 57k scoville). Also, this is more of a guideline/blueprint for me to start following & will not be what I consume everyday of the year, although eating this everyday would not bother me if I'm being honest.

If you made it this far, thank you for taking the time to read this & I appreciate any feedback you can offer!
    Last edited by Obewon9449; 06-23-2022 at 08:58 AM.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    The top set of numbers looks OK for a startoff, you don't need to use ratios to judge macros. Use the guidelines in the sticky threads instead - but use your lean or target bodyweight, not your current weight as the multiplier.

You have more protein than you need - you could exchange some for carbs - going as far down as 140g of protein.

Not sure why there are a pair of numbers in the bottom part - there is no need to have different numbers on workout/rest days if that is what that's for.

AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    My critique:

Don't plan every single meal you eat... have more variety.

Eat vegetables...

You don't need to eat so many separate meals/snacks...
    "When I die, I hope it's early in the morning so I don't have to go to work that day for no reason"

Obewon9449 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Obewon9449 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Obewon9449 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Obewon9449 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Obewon9449 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Obewon9449 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Obewon9449 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Obewon9449 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Obewon9449 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Obewon9449 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Obewon9449 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    The top set of numbers looks OK for a startoff, you don't need to use ratios to judge macros. Use the guidelines in the sticky threads instead - but use your lean or target bodyweight, not your current weight as the multiplier.

You have more protein than you need - you could exchange some for carbs - going as far down as 140g of protein.

Not sure why there are a pair of numbers in the bottom part - there is no need to have different numbers on workout/rest days if that is what that's for.
    Thank you for the reply. The numbers at the bottom are what the calories, carbs, etc. I would have from the meals above. The calories, for example, say 1,829 / 2,300 which means that if I eat all of the food listed in the 6 meals above, I would be consuming 1,829 calories out of my 2,300 calorie goal. I was looking for what I could do to add a few more calories & to add in any micronutrients I'm missing but I think I may simply use the extra calories to add in a meal that frequently changes (tuna & rice on some days, fish & rice on other days, etc.).

Also, thank you for the advice on the protein. I think I can fix this by cutting out one of the protein drinks & adding in more rice for lunch & dinner meals.

Originally Posted by AdamWW View Post
    My critique:

Don't plan every single meal you eat... have more variety.

Eat vegetables...

You don't need to eat so many separate meals/snacks...
    Thank you for the advice. Do you know of any vegetables that are low on potassium? It's recommended that I have less than 2,000mg of potassium per day but everything I look up tends to be 500mg to upwards of over 1,000mg. I tried to incorporate vegetables but this is where I am struggling the most.

AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Obewon9449 View Post
    Thank you for the advice. Do you know of any vegetables that are low on potassium? It's recommended that I have less than 2,000mg of potassium per day but everything I look up tends to be 500mg to upwards of over 1,000mg. I tried to incorporate vegetables but this is where I am struggling the most.
    Im not sure but you can always check cronometer and see which are lower
    "When I die, I hope it's early in the morning so I don't have to go to work that day for no reason"

azuki84 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) azuki84 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) azuki84 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) azuki84 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) azuki84 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) azuki84 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) azuki84 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) azuki84 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) azuki84 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) azuki84 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) azuki84 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    not sure why ppl skipping egg yolks they're sooooooooooooooo gooooooooood. i rather skip the avocado and make perfect scrambled eggs on the buttered toast with strawberry jam.

Originally Posted by azuki84 View Post
    not sure why ppl skipping egg yolks they're sooooooooooooooo gooooooooood. i rather skip the avocado and make perfect scrambled eggs on the buttered toast with strawberry jam.
    imo avocado is way tastier than a yolk, and the fat content of the avocado is going to be more beneficial than a combination of butter and yolk for cardio health

My pronouns are bro/brah Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    At your stats you should be concentrating on Fatloss. You need to concentrate on overall weekly calories and not just 1 day of eating. Start tracking calories and maintaining a consistent calorie deficit. Don’t take in liquid calories.

Train with weights to maintain lean muscle mass. If you just eat mostly lean meats and veggies and stay away from processed foods your nutrition should take care of itself. The sooner you lose fat the sooner your BP will go down. Fatloss and cardiovascular health will be the best defenses against high BP.

You don’t need those soy shakes. You’d be better off with real food plus those shakes don’t satiate well so it makes it harder to be in a caloric deficit.
    Last edited by Tommy W.; 06-23-2022 at 02:13 PM.
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

Originally Posted by azuki84 View Post
    I would MUCH rather have the egg yolks & have them a bit runny on a sandwich but my latest blood work shows my cholesterol a notch over normal levels & in the "high" category so I have to take that into consideration.

Im not sure but you can always check cronometer and see which are lower
    I will look into that, thank you!

Originally Posted by Tommy W. View Post
    At your stats you should be concentrating on Fatloss. You need to concentrate on overall weekly calories and not just 1 day of eating. Start tracking calories and maintaining a consistent calorie deficit. Don’t take in liquid calories.

Train with weights to maintain lean muscle mass. If you just eat mostly lean meats and veggies and stay away from processed foods your nutrition should take care of itself. The sooner you lose fat the sooner your BP will go down. Fatloss and cardiovascular health will be the best defenses against high BP.

You don’t need those soy shakes. You’d be better off with real food plus those shakes don’t satiate well so it makes it harder to be in a caloric deficit.
    I appreciate the advice. I only chose the soy shakes because I was having a difficult time finding healthy foods with low potassium & I needed something to add calories & protein.

I think my best route is to keep limiting the potassium & once my BP is in check, drop the meds (with Doctor's approval) & proceed with a more vegetable rich diet. I love vegetables & wish I could eat them for every meal but the potassium restriction makes it quite difficult.

My pronouns are bro/brah Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Obewon9449 View Post
    I appreciate the advice. I only chose the soy shakes because I was having a difficult time finding healthy foods with low potassium & I needed something to add calories & protein.

I think my best route is to keep limiting the potassium & once my BP is in check, drop the meds (with Doctor's approval) & proceed with a more vegetable rich diet. I love vegetables & wish I could eat them for every meal but the potassium restriction makes it quite difficult.
    If I remember correctly, apples and broccoli are low in P and great additions to any diet
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

Originally Posted by Tommy W. View Post
    If I remember correctly, apples and broccoli are low in P and great additions to any diet

Yeah I try to avoid P in my diet, especially drinking P. Maybe if I was stranded in the desert or something

Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Yeah I try to avoid P in my diet, especially drinking P. Maybe if I was stranded in the desert or something
    This. Also, I'm with Obama; I'd only do it if it was DEFINITELY life or death. I ain't about to drink P for Bear Grylls...https://www.complex.com/pop-culture/...th-bear-grylls

Edit* I wouldn't even do it then. Apparently, drinking P is actually a terrible idea, even in a survivalist situation:https://www.businessinsider.com/what...ink-pee-2018-8

Bear Grylls is presumably just a freak.
    Last edited by Strawng; 06-23-2022 at 06:47 PM.

Originally Posted by Strawng View Post
    This. Also, I'm with Obama; I'd only do it if it was DEFINITELY life or death. I ain't about to drink P for Bear Grylls...https://www.complex.com/pop-culture/...th-bear-grylls

Edit* I wouldn't even do it then. Apparently, drinking P is actually a terrible idea, even in a survivalist situation:https://www.businessinsider.com/what...ink-pee-2018-8

Bear Grylls is presumably just a freak.
    Did you ever see him literally drink the water out of a pile of shyt ?

I don’t understand how he hasn’t died of some kind of infection at this point

paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Did you ever see him literally drink the water out of a pile of shyt ?
    I saw him drink water out of a pile of elephant s...
    Current rankings

ElKoeh: Sparrow
    TolerntLacoe: Opossum
    Faithbra: Opossum
    SuicidGriMe: Opossum
    MTpockets: Owl
    Air2Fake: Wesel
    Stefo9: Feret
    Camarja: Raccoon
    TearOfIc: Fox
    Mark1T: Black Labrador retriever
    Paulinanas: Coyote