TirantLoBlanch is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Best workout program for me?

Hello everyone

I can only hit gym twice a week at the moment

25 y.o., 188cm tall, 70kg, 14/16% fat.

A month ago, my trainer used to make me do two different "packs" of workout: shoulders, back and triceps one day, and legs, biceps and chest the other. 4 exercises per muscle group aprox. 6 series of 10 reps each one. 2h30' aprox each workout.

He usually used to organize the days this way: two days of one "pack", two days of the other, and so one. So I only used to hit one muscle group for four days a month.

Since 1th June I'm doing what I want at the gym because I get tired.
    I'm doing a full body routine inspired by Steve Reeves routine twice a week. 3 sets of 8/12 reps each exercise. 2h30' aprox each workout too.

So the question is: Am I doing wrong? What should be the better workout for me?

Thank you in advance.

FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Can you not decrease your time in the gym to 1 hour and up it to 3x a week?
    Email to chat about programming or anything training related : FurtadoZ9@outlook.com

Originally Posted by FurtadoZ9 View Post
    Can you not decrease your time in the gym to 1 hour and up it to 3x a week?
    Not yet, but next month I wish I can. But is what you intend to not do a full body routine and a 3day split instead?

FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by TirantLoBlanch View Post
    Not yet, but next month I wish I can. But is what you intend to not do a full body routine and a 3day split instead?
    No it should be a full body either way. Everything should be hit twice a week.

I guess under the premise of strictly only twice a week with no time restrictions, I would do:

Workout A
    Squat
    Bench
    Shoulder isolation
    Rows / vertical work
    GHR/Hypers or equivalent
    Arm work

Workout B
    Deadlift
    Squat variation
    Overhead press
    Bench variation
    Arm work

Squeeze in traps/calves/forearms as desired
    Email to chat about programming or anything training related : FurtadoZ9@outlook.com

coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I would do several groupings of exercises round robin style.

Bench
    Squats
    Rows

Db incline
    Leg press
    Lat pull

Shoulder press
    Curls
    Pushdowns

Leg extensions
    Leg curls
    Calves
    "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. "By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."

Old Guy deadlifting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zMrim-0Dks
    bench press https://youtu.be/GaRzfueJVJQ

Every workout is GAME DAY!

I guess under the premise of strictly only twice a week with no time restrictions, I would do:

Workout A
    Squat
    Bench
    Shoulder isolation
    Rows / vertical work
    GHR/Hypers or equivalent
    Arm work

Workout B
    Deadlift
    Squat variation
    Overhead press
    Bench variation
    Arm work

What about sets and reps?
    Is there some alternative to deadlifts?

Workout A
    Squat
    Bench
    Shoulder isolation
    Rows / vertical work
    GHR/Hypers or equivalent
    Arm work

Workout B
    Deadlift
    Squat variation
    Overhead press
    Bench variation
    Arm work

Anyway, I'm going to try this:
    - Upright row
    - Shoulder Press with dumbells
    - close grip bench Press
    - lat machine
    - dumbell row
    - inclined biceps curls
    - triceps pull downs
    - squats
    - calves elevations
    - hyperextensions
    I've calculated it's going to be 1h30' workout. Still long but shorter than what I already do.

Abs and neck in my home, not at gym, to make workouts shorter.

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Anyway, I'm going to try this:
    - Upright row
    - Shoulder Press with dumbells
    - close grip bench Press
    - lat machine
    - dumbell row
    - inclined biceps curls
    - triceps pull downs
    - squats
    - calves elevations
    - hyperextensions
    I've calculated it's going to be 1h30' workout. Still long but shorter than what I already do.

Abs and neck in my home, not at gym, to make workouts shorter.
    You don't have find the "best", anything sensible in terms of sensible exercises, volume & intensity for yourself will likely yield somewhat similar results at this stage.

What you list as your plan doesn't look good IMO for a 2x/week workout or in general, but good luck!

Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    You don't have find the "best", anything sensible in terms of sensible exercises, volume & intensity for yourself will likely yield somewhat similar results at this stage.

What you list as your plan doesn't look good IMO for a 2x/week workout or in general, but good luck!
    Why exactly?

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Why exactly?
    If you're limited for time/days, your isolations should be scrapped. The exercise order you have is bizarre.
    Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

Originally Posted by TolerantLactose View Post
    If you're limited for time/days, your isolations should be scrapped. The exercise order you have is bizarre.
    Okey, let's say I try the workout you've reccomended to me. Is it possible to do deadlift with dumbells? I mean, I've never done deadlifts before and I'm afraid of doing a bad form and looking ridicolous. And... What do you intend with "arm workout"? One exercise or maybe more?

Correction:
    The workout I've read in the tread was reccomended by another account, not you, but is this one:

Workout A
    Squat
    Bench
    Shoulder isolation
    Rows / vertical work
    GHR/Hypers or equivalent
    Arm work

Workout B
    Deadlift
    Squat variation
    Overhead press
    Bench variation
    Arm work

Originally Posted by coachcalande View Post
    I would do several groupings of exercises round robin style.

Bench
    Squats
    Rows

Db incline
    Leg press
    Lat pull

Shoulder press
    Curls
    Pushdowns

Leg extensions
    Leg curls
    Calves
    But, this exercises in each workout in this order?

coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    But, this exercises in each workout in this order?

Spend 15 min working each bundle. You’ll be gassed.
    "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. "By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Is it possible to do deadlift with dumbells? I mean, I've never done deadlifts before and I'm afraid of doing a bad form and looking ridicolous.
    It's possible but I don't think you're solving problems with bad form or looking ridiculous by using dbs, you may actually add to them.

TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    How strong are you to be in the gym that long ? No human needs more than an hour to an hour and a half in the weight room.

Spend 15 min working each bundle. You’ll be gassed.
    Yeah, but I didn't understand. One bundle per day or how is it?

Yeah, but I didn't understand. One bundle per day or how is it?

No, do all of them twice a week. Full body.

No, do all of them twice a week. Full body.
    So all of them in one single workout? Which order?

So all of them in one single workout? Which order?
    Look at bundle one…it has bench, squat, row….all big basic moments…spend most of your time here…at least 15 min, round and round you go benching, squatting, rowing….when you have had enough, move to the second bundle….then when you have had enough…on to the third bundle…finish all of the bundles….gradually build up the length of your workout as tolerated.

It’s designed in the order you should do them…big basics first, finish with the smaller stuff…twice a week. Had a kid reach 1200 pound club doing this.

VitoBurrito is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Def continue full body so you can hit each muscle group 2x per week

If you have 2h30m to workout, then I would do something like:

DB Incline Bench
    DB Flat bench

Shoulder Press variation
    Lateral Raise variation

Long-head tricep exercise (overhead extension, skullcrushers, etc)
    Long-head bicep exercise (incline curl, faceaway curl, etc) superset with short-head bicep exercise (db curl, preacher curl, etc) OR do chin-ups later on

Lat Pulldowns
    Chest-Supported Rows

Squat or Hack Squat
    RDL or SLDL variation
    Leg extensions
    Leg curls

Gonna give you pretty even development and you should be able to finish in 2h30m assuming you do 3-4 sets with low rest time

What about sets and reps?
    Is there some alternative to deadlifts?
    Depends what you are training for and your fitness goals. I would do ~4 sets of 5-10 for the first couple (bigger) exercises, and maybe ~3 sets of 8-15 for the latter (smaller) exercises. The key is to add weight / reps every week and choose a starting weight that is somewhat challenging.

You don't need to do a ton of exercises at this point, higher volume comes more into play at the intermediate level. Unless if you have endurance based goals or if you simply enjoy the gym as personal time, strength/size goals should be addressed with low-moderate volume and progressive overload of some type (weight, reps, etc.).