jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000) jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000) jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000) jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000) jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000) jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000) jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000) jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000) jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000) jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000) jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000)

Why do smart people disagree?

Noam Chomsky vs Thomas Sowell comes to mind when it comes to politics/social stuff/basic economy.
    Both are authorities, one in the left camp, the other in the right camp, both are highly intelligent and yet, both have opposite opinions.

401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    If two people on different continents are claiming to see the same electron at the same time is one of them wrong?

Same thing between me and you...the same electron that's floating around my nutsack is also in your mouth.
    Joe Biden 2024 years old

chrup will become famous soon enough. (+50) chrup will become famous soon enough. (+50) chrup will become famous soon enough. (+50) chrup will become famous soon enough. (+50) chrup will become famous soon enough. (+50) chrup will become famous soon enough. (+50) chrup will become famous soon enough. (+50) chrup will become famous soon enough. (+50) chrup will become famous soon enough. (+50) chrup will become famous soon enough. (+50) chrup will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by jaxqen View Post
    Noam Chomsky vs Thomas Sowell comes to mind when it comes to politics/social stuff/basic economy.
    Both are authorities, one in the left camp, the other in the right camp, both are highly intelligent and yet, both have opposite opinions.
    Your choices and opinions are shaped by all your life experiences. Even the most intelligent people, who have different backgrounds (family/home/school/work/social experiences) may be looking at the same topic differently. Your history shape the way you percieve things.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    The most interesting questions revolve around predicting what will happen if something is changed - and predictions of the future of complex systems is way beyond any person - smart or not. But we have to form hypotheses and then test them with evidence - there are plenty of ways to form such opinions. You shouldn't be afraid of being wrong or penalise others for being wrong because that just shows you are guilty of oversimplifying the process of making progress with knowledge.

Even after the fact, attributing causation is an imprecise activity. There is always uncertainty caused by the sheer number of variables. We can only say we have evidence that this particular setup of an experiment with these factors held constant had this outcome with this confidence interval.
    Last edited by SuffolkPunch; 05-25-2022 at 12:23 AM.

EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I'm surprised that you mention Sowell, OP. Didn't think he was particularly influential outside of conservative intellectual circles in the US.

Completely agree with Suffolk, but will add that I think it has more to do with the ego gratification of "being right" (or rather being perceived to be right) than it does with a sincere desire to arrive at the truth of something, else I think there'd be a lot more ecumenism. "Smart" (what a multi-faceted description) people are usually arrogant and some of the most intelligent people I know, amusingly, almost pathologically cannot be wrong, and will twist terms out of parlance or deny the patently obvious just to avoid this.
    Bench: 320
    Squat: 405
    Deadlift: 505

"... But always, there remained, the discipline of steel!"

paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I disagree. Smart people will agree. Those people will form a majority and then call the other "smart" people that disagreed dumbazzes.
    Furnished rental houses in Coffeyville Kansas. Bills paid, weekly rates, full kitchens, washer/dryer, cable/wifi. For traveling workers.

EiFit91 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EiFit91 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EiFit91 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EiFit91 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EiFit91 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EiFit91 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EiFit91 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EiFit91 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EiFit91 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EiFit91 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EiFit91 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by EliKoehn View Post
    "Smart" (what a multi-faceted description) people are usually arrogant and some of the most intelligent people I know, amusingly, almost pathologically cannot be wrong, and will twist terms out of parlance or deny the patently obvious just to avoid this.
    Not all smart people are like this, but I suspect the "smart" and arrogant ones are way more vocal and therefore much easier to notice.

Some of the most intelligent people I've met are very humble.

Concerning why smart people disagree, I think people tend to overestimate how freely we form our opinions. For instance, twin studies show a sizeable heritable component to one's political views.
    Last edited by EiFit91; 05-25-2022 at 08:52 AM.
    The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.

- Richard Feynman

Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    When it comes to political things I think it revolves to some degree around the fact that there are multiple different social/law structures that can accomplish similar goals. Meaning, there is no one way to construct a society. Even if there was one "ideal" way for a set of conditions, at least in the US different states and different counties/cities within states have many different underlying variables (ie, weather, population density, access to grocery stores, etc). Easy to have disagreement when you aren't talking about the exact same things.

When it comes to more fundamental questions of life/physics/etc, such as "Does free will exist?" or "Is the universe all a computer simulation", these topics are inherently difficult to prove or disprove and you can make legitimate arguments either way that match the current evidence we have, so it's not surprising there is disagreement there.

And then you have published research, where ideally and in theory, anyone who publishes on a specific topic should be somewhat of an expert or at least "smart" regarding that topic, yet published literature contradicts other published literature all the time. When this is due to new/refined experiments or larger datasets that allow greater statistical power, that is great. However, we know a lot of it is due to poor methodology, shady statistics, obvious biases, etc. That stems in part from a "publish or perish" culture of academia, as well as the fact that people tend to find it easier to publish "new" things then replication of "old" studies. This creates disagreements.

All that aside, a lot of it will come down to one's own experience. Remember the blue/black or white/gold dress? If two people observe the same entity differently then that can lead to disagreements. The dress is a striking example, but people interpret things they encounter all the time in light of past experiences, and as so much of the human experience is "subjective" in some manner this is going to also lead to many differing views.

However, underlying biology will certainly play a role, and I have not looked into all of the various known brain differences between people on different sides of the political spectrum but I suspect there are some significant disparities.
    My 100% free website: www.healthierwithscience.com

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I once crunched data to assess the effectiveness of regular, routine HIV screening on men between the ages of 19 and 69. The hypothesis is that early detection of infection leads to fewer downstream infections through immediate treatment and changes in behavior. The assessment found that there were fewer downstream infections but that the cost of the screening program costed more than the lifetime treatment costs of those downstream infections. The human reaction is that fewer infections is good. The dollar and cents reaction is that the program is too costly.

The "correct" answer depended on which perspective you're proceeding from.

The program was eventually cancelled.
    Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep others warm.
    Unknown

Train hard play harder Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    "Smart" is a relative term. Someone can SOUND smart however that doesn't make them so. I have a family member with a Masters that uses big words and expounds eloquently on ways of the world and sounds smart but is dumber than a bag of hammers.
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000) jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000) jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000) jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000) jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000) jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000) jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000) jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000) jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000) jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000) jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by EliKoehn View Post
    I'm surprised that you mention Sowell, OP. Didn't think he was particularly influential outside of conservative intellectual circles in the US.

Completely agree with Suffolk, but will add that I think it has more to do with the ego gratification of "being right" (or rather being perceived to be right) than it does with a sincere desire to arrive at the truth of something, else I think there'd be a lot more ecumenism. "Smart" (what a multi-faceted description) people are usually arrogant and some of the most intelligent people I know, amusingly, almost pathologically cannot be wrong, and will twist terms out of parlance or deny the patently obvious just to avoid this.
    He isn't influential here, except a handfull of but I know about him, since I'm somewhat interested in this stuff.
    Unlike Chomsky, I haven't read any of his books, I've only seen some interviews.

" the ego gratification of "being right"" - that's what I think too
    There are some who shifted from left to right and viceversa, but it's difficult to know if they did it because they realized they were being wrong and because they had some financial advantage from this.

Originally Posted by Tommy W. View Post
    "Smart" is a relative term. Someone can SOUND smart however that doesn't make them so. I have a family member with a Masters that uses big words and expounds eloquently on ways of the world and sounds smart but is dumber than a bag of hammers.
    smart = people who are considered the best in their fields
    Maybe I shouldn't have used the term "smart"
    I like to learn from the mistakes of the people who take my advice.