pootel is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Question Adjustable Bench for a Short and Skinny Guy

Hi everyone,

I've found several threads on the same topic but most of them are posted in 2015 or earlier and I'm thinking perhaps there are more options now?
    Used Cybex 5435 seems to be the best choice for someone like me but it's hard to come by so I'm looking into other options, preferably new but I'd still consider used benches if they meet all my requirements.

I'm 5'6" and weight capacity is not a concern for me since I'm skinny, but still, I'd like a bench that's well-built and won't wobble. The bench height shouldn't be too tall for me because it's important to have my feet stay on the ground when the bench is in incline positions. I will only be using the bench for full body dumbbell exercises with my PowerBlock Elite USA, no barbells and racks for now. The decline feature is nice to have but it's not a must and it also adds weight to the bench making me harder to move it around.

I live in a townhouse-style apartment so space constraints are not as limiting as a typical apartment. However, I'd still like to save space if possible and it shouldn't be too bulky or heavy as I'll have to move eventually. Benches that can be stored vertically would be great but benches with wheels that can be easily moved around will also work for me.

Here are the weight benches I'm currently looking at:

Used Cybex 5435: It ticks all the boxes, only if I can find it. 😅

PowerBlock Sport Bench: The bench height is 16″ from pad to floor so it'll work for me, it cannot be stored vertically but it has wheels, it lacks the 15° incline position and it goes from 30° to completely flat, it has a tapered seat which I'm not sure if I can get used to. It is a bit expensive for what it is.

REP AB-3100: The bench height is at 16.75", which is not too bad for me, it cannot be stored vertically but it has wheels. Although it's more feature rich than the PowerBlock Sport Bench, it still lacks the 15° incline position. Also, I saw several reports about its inconsistent quality, e.g. chipping powder coat, bad welding, rusts, etc.

The Rogue Adjustable Bench 3.0 and Legend 3103 both have a height of 17.5″ from pad to floor, so they won't work for me. The former even has a review with the title "Made Specifically for Big & Tall People" so I'll definitely have to pass this one. 😂 Are there any Made in USA adjustable benches with a height of less than 17" besides the Cybex 5435?

The Rogue Monster Utility Bench 2.0 has a "Shorty" version (15.25" height) available, it can be stored vertically, has wheels, is made in USA, and it's affordable, but it's a non-adjustable bench. As a beginner, do you think I can get away with a basic flat bench? The main reason I'm adding a weight bench to my home gym is to do more full body exercises with a single pair of adjustable dumbbells. I know I can't do incline chest fly as well as many other exercises with this.

I'm also considering placing bumper plates or aerobic step on the floor so I can use taller weight benches while still having my feet touch the ground. However, I believe feet not touching the ground is not my only concern, the size/ratio of the pads and constructions also affect the ergonomics. Some benches are just designed for a bigger guy and can be awkward to use for a guy with a smaller frame.

Any other recommendations for me?

Thanks in advance!

radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I don't think you're short enough that you should worry about bench height as long as it's 18" or less, but I'm 5-11" so someone else can chime in.

Assuming you can go with a somewhat taller bench, the Ironmaster Super Bench Pro is quite good for dumbbell work and as an all-round bench too. That would be my pick.

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Dude, you're not a midget. Most benches will fit you just fine.

pootel is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by radrd View Post
    I don't think you're short enough that you should worry about bench height as long as it's 18" or less, but I'm 5-11" so someone else can chime in.

Assuming you can go with a somewhat taller bench, the Ironmaster Super Bench Pro is quite good for dumbbell work and as an all-round bench too. That would be my pick.
    Thanks for the recommendation! I'm new to this, what makes a bench more suitable for dumbbell exercises versus barbell exercises?

Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    Dude, you're not a midget. Most benches will fit you just fine.
    Good to know! That gives me way more options to choose from.

radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by pootel View Post
    Thanks for the recommendation! I'm new to this, what makes a bench more suitable for dumbbell exercises versus barbell exercises?
    Narrower pad, does decline and incline, and doesn't have as much frame to get in the way of dumbbell movements as some other benches. It works fine for barbell work too.

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by pootel View Post
    Don't get a wide bench & don't get one with an adjustment handle(s) that sticks out too far or support feet/points that come up too high since your dbs will whack them when doing things like incline curls or chest supported stuff.

McBrody is just really nice. (+1000) McBrody is just really nice. (+1000) McBrody is just really nice. (+1000) McBrody is just really nice. (+1000) McBrody is just really nice. (+1000) McBrody is just really nice. (+1000) McBrody is just really nice. (+1000) McBrody is just really nice. (+1000) McBrody is just really nice. (+1000) McBrody is just really nice. (+1000) McBrody is just really nice. (+1000)
    I'm 5'8" and wouldn't buy a bench higher than 17 1/2", you got too have your feet firmly planted and you don't want your waist too high above your knees. The PowerBlock Sports bench is a great choice if you are a beginner, I bought PowerBlock's commercial bench years ago (no longer available) and it is 16 1/2" high. I still use it today and it still looks mint. Nautilus makes a commercial bench which might be too expensive and overkill for you but if you got the coin you couldn't do much better. It's 16 1/2" high and weighs 117 lbs. https://showmeweights.com/collection...stable-bench-1

bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by McBrody View Post
    I'm 5'8" and wouldn't buy a bench higher than 17 1/2", you got too have your feet firmly planted and you don't want your waist too high above your knees. The PowerBlock Sports bench is a great choice if you are a beginner, I bought PowerBlock's commercial bench years ago (no longer available) and it is 16 1/2" high. I still use it today and it still looks mint. Nautilus makes a commercial bench which might be too expensive and overkill for you but if you got the coin you couldn't do much better. It's 16 1/2" high and weighs 117 lbs. https://showmeweights.com/collection...stable-bench-1
    I just replaced my PowerBlock Sport Bench. It's OK for the money, but when you drop the seat down for incline it's about 13" off the ground. Most people aren't going to like that.