HediPelouse is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Question Help on my PPL WORKOUT ROUTINE

Hello!

I've been training for almost 3/4 Months and I've decided to try out PPL

I'm 1m84 74kg, doing a body-recomp and aiming for HYPERTROPHY!

This is the PPL workout routine i've been doing and I wanted some reviews about it if someone could help ( More exercice to add? Are they in good orders ? reps range too much/not ? Better exercices suggestions etc..?)

I train 6days a week!

Monday Pull
    4x8-12 Pull-ups
    3x5 Deadlifts
    3x8-12 T row bar
    5x15-20 Face Pulls // superset JPG LatPullDown
    3x8-12 Incline biceps
    3x8 spider curl
    3x8 Hammer curl // Superset Reverse Curl forearms

Push day :
    4x5, Dumbell Chest Press
    3x8-12 Incline Dumbbell Press
    3x8-12 Shoulder Dumbell Press
    3x8-12 Dumbell Overhead triceps
    4x8-12 Rope Push Down Tricps SS 3x15-20 Lat Raises

LegDay : 3x5 Leg press QUADS Position
    3x8-12 Romanian Deadlift
    3x8-12 Goblet squats
    3x8 Forward lunge
    3x8-12 Hamstrings curl machine
    5x10-15 Calf Raises

PushDay 2 : Start with shoulders
    PullDay 2 : No deadlift
    Legday2 : Same than 1

I do the same for the 3others PPL in the week except removing deadlift on the other, and for the push just starting with the shoulders press before chest press

Thank you for your help! And sorry could not put a link !
    Last edited by HediPelouse; 05-21-2022 at 05:43 AM.

EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by HediPelouse View Post
    Hello!

I've been training for almost 3/4 Months and I've decided to try out PPL

I'm 1m84 74kg, doing a body-recomp and aiming for HYPERTROPHY!

This is the PPL workout routine i've been doing and I wanted some reviews about it if someone could help ( More exercice to add? Are they in good orders ? reps range too much/not ? Better exercices suggestions etc..?)

Monday Pull
    4x8-12 Pull-ups
    3x5 Deadlifts
    3x8-12 T row bar
    5x15-20 Face Pulls // superset JPG LatPullDown
    3x8-12 Incline biceps
    3x8 spider curl
    3x8 Hammer curl // Superset Reverse Curl forearms

Push day :
    4x5, Dumbell Chest Press
    3x8-12 Incline Dumbbell Press
    3x8-12 Shoulder Dumbell Press
    3x8-12 Dumbell Overhead triceps
    4x8-12 Rope Push Down Tricps SS 3x15-20 Lat Raises

LegDay : 3x5 Leg press QUADS Position
    3x8-12 Romanian Deadlift
    3x8-12 Goblet squats
    3x8 Forward lunge
    3x8-12 Hamstrings curl machine
    5x10-15 Calf Raises

I do the same for the 3others PPL in the week except removing deadlift on the other, and for the push just starting with the shoulders press before chest press

Thank you for your help! And sorry could not put a link !
    For beginners I tend to think a full body workout 3 days a week is the best thing most people could do, there's no need to split as a beginner so I think you'll progress faster on a full body routine. But if you enjoy the routine and progress well on it that's more important. I personally don't like push pull legs because I find that when I do horizontal pulls and vertical pulls on the same day performance on the second is strongly affected by the first. Same thing with vertical/horizontal presses but everyone is different and you may not have the same experience. Also I think a lot of people will experience better gains for their lower body when they hit lower body twice a week instead of once. I also prefer to do all arm isolation work on lower body focused days but that's not important at all for your level of experience.

More generally, I don't think attempting a recomp at 74 kg and 184 CM is optimal. I'd probably slowly bulk instead if I were you and then cut later. You'll need to do a bulk at some point anyway.
    The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.

- Richard Feynman

jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Originally Posted by EiFit91 View Post
    For beginners I tend to think a full body workout 3 days a week is the best thing most people could do, there's no need to split as a beginner so I think you'll progress faster on a full body routine. But if you enjoy the routine and progress well on it that's more important. I personally don't like push pull legs because I find that when I do horizontal pulls and vertical pulls on the same day performance on the second is strongly affected by the first. Same thing with vertical/horizontal presses but everyone is different and you may not have the same experience. Also I think a lot of people will experience better gains for their lower body when they hit lower body twice a week instead of once. I also prefer to do all arm isolation work on lower body focused days but that's not important at all for your level of experience.

More generally, I don't think attempting a recomp at 74 kg and 184 CM is optimal. I'd probably slowly bulk instead if I were you and then cut later. You'll need to do a bulk at some point anyway.
    Hello! Thank you for taking your time to respond!

I train 6times a week and that's why I have decided to try out the PPL Routine! Maybe i wasn't that clear but I do repeat the exercices twice in weeks for each

And I'm Skinny fat that's why I'm doing a body recomp atm and tbh with you i'm happy with the results atm so after finishing it I will for sur go for a lean bulk!

Thank you

-Hedi Pelouse

EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Hello! Thank you for taking your time to respond!

I train 6times a week and that's why I have decided to try out the PPL Routine! Maybe i wasn't that clear but I do repeat the exercices twice in weeks for each

And I'm Skinny fat that's why I'm doing a body recomp atm and tbh with you i'm happy with the results atm so after finishing it I will for sur go for a lean bulk!

Thank you

-Hedi Pelouse
    I don't think you really need all that volume to make good progress but if you enjoy it and progress keep going IMO. You can consider changing things up when you stop progressing.
    The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.

- Richard Feynman

Originally Posted by EiFit91 View Post
    I don't think you really need all that volume to make good progress but if you enjoy it and progress keep going IMO. You can consider changing things up when you stop progressing.
    That's interessting! In which way you see that much volume? too much exercices or too much series/reps... Overall or on the Push day?

That's interessting! In which way you see that much volume? too much exercices or too much series/reps... Overall or on the Push day?
    You're doing so many sets per body part if I understand this correctly. I think that if you can do 30-40+ sets per bodypart, especially when it's a lot of compounds, it's likely that you aren't pushing yourself very much when training. If you are pushing yourself hard it's going to be tough to stay in the 10-20 set range per week. If you push really really hard it may be hard to even get 10 sets per bodypart per week. So trading some of the volume for intensity may be a more time efficient way to progress as you are probably far in one end of the volume/intensity tradeoff scale.

For comparison, I do about 40 sets in total (!) every week. But every set is a hard set so I would not be able to sustain the kind of volume you are doing without wrecking my own body.

But there are also guys who respond better to high volume so I won't be categorical here; only you know what really works for your own results! I think for every individual there's an "optimal" tradeoff between volume and intensity, and it takes some experimentation to know what yours is.
    Last edited by EiFit91; 05-21-2022 at 07:49 AM.

- Richard Feynman

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    i'm happy with the results atm
    This is all that matters then.

pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000)
    I prefer PPL programs. But I find it's the big lifts that will do the most for me. The squat, deadlifts, and the bench are still going to be the kings. I'd make those the focus. The alternative lifts are for weaknesses. Most people will have weak backs and shoulders. I'd rather see someone focus on their back and shoulders than on their arms for the first year. 3 presses are going to do more for you than all the tricep work.

xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    They always say the best program is the one you can stick with, but I think your volume is a bit excessive for a PPL. As others have mentioned if you can do all that volume you probably aren't working very hard on those sets.

On your pull day there is absolutely zero reason to superset in lat pulldowns after you've already done 4 sets of pullups (which you could probably cut down to 3 actually). And 5 sets of face pulls at 15-20 reps isn't necessary either, could cut that down to just a 3x8-12. Just one variation of curls is plenty too, after all that pulling your biceps have already been sufficiently cooked.

On your push day maybe just limit to 2 pressing exercises (flat and shoulder) then on the next push day do an incline/decline press, or maybe a work a cable fly into it.

Check out Jeff Nippards YouTube video on “junk volume”.
    Last edited by xsquid99; 06-01-2022 at 03:58 PM.
    All it takes is consistency, effort, proper nutrition, good programming, and TIME.

Don't be upset with the results you didn't get from the work you did not do.

leeniepie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) leeniepie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) leeniepie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) leeniepie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) leeniepie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) leeniepie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) leeniepie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) leeniepie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) leeniepie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) leeniepie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) leeniepie has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    as has been said, i dont know why youre doing PPL as a beginner, but since you enjoy it, carry on.
    on pull day 5 sets of face pulls/lat pull downs is excessive, as is 9 sets of bicep curls. you could prob bring it down to 3 sets of flat db press on push day. on leg day, why do you not do a regular squat? and again, 5 sets of calf raises are unncessary.

recomp is a difficult process, and more often than not, you dont get very far. switching to a build would be good thing

BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Pick an exercise for the following muscle groups and hit them hard-

Pull:
    1 upper back
    1 lat
    1 elbow flexor

Push:
    1 chest
    1 shoulder
    1 tricep

Legs:
    1 calf
    1 hamstring
    1 quad

2-3 work sets each

If you want to do PPL (not sure why anyone would) then you have to manage volume with intensity, not to mention your expectations with working out so often.

"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants"
    -Sir Isaac Newton