Squooshy is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Body Recomp: Is it a real thing or am I fooling myself?

With summer coming I've become more and more engaged in trying to become presentable. Visually I think my body is in the skinnyfat phase, so I've been on a slight deficit while lifting in an attempt to build a flatter stomach with better muscle definition. I understandably won't get huge eating less, but can I at least get on the path to shredded?

I'm still newbie with only about a month of hardcore dieting/training, and so far I am hitting PRs almost every session, which follows a upper/lower alternating routine 4-5 x week. It's not perfect but I want to prioritize lower body, biceps, pecs, and traps in decreasing importance.

Also wanted to add I don't sweat too much on the diet, but I do make sure to eat 100-120g protein daily.

Stats:
    Male, 21
    H: 5'9''
    W: 148 lb
    bf: 14% calculated by the Navy test, but I'd put myself visually at 15-16%
    Currently at 500 cal deficit, roughly determined by my Fitbit
    Last edited by Squooshy; 05-19-2022 at 06:00 PM. Reason: New info

xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I question the need for you to be in a deficit, but its hard to say for certain just by looking at numbers and not a photo.

Body recomposition is a real thing, but it is a long and slow process without a lot of room for error, so a lot of people just end up spinning their wheels. In the long run, using traditional bulk/cut cycles are generally the quicker path from point A to B.
    All it takes is consistency, effort, proper nutrition, good programming, and TIME.

Don't be upset with the results you didn't get from the work you did not do.

Squooshy is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    [QUOTE=xsquid99;1661588963]I question the need for you to be in a deficit, but its hard to say for certain just by looking at numbers and not a photo.

Will upload a photo soon, but my current plan is to cut until I reach a energy/lifting plateau and bulk from there.

desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Its definitely possible , the main problem is if done right its slower to see visible results. I would personally start near maintenance. Tough to say exactly without knowing if you are following a proven routine.
    2 time survivor of The Great Misc Outages of 2022

Survivor of PHP/API Outage of Feb 2023

Sinfinia has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sinfinia has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sinfinia has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sinfinia has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sinfinia has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sinfinia has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sinfinia has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sinfinia has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sinfinia has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sinfinia has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sinfinia has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Since you are novice: You can be on a low (not 500!) calorie deficit, or even stay at maintenance and become more "shredded" (as in: have less fat and more muscle). Do make sure that you get enough Protein.

-In your case: definitely not a cut, BUT you can use the fact you are a novice and choose not to bulk, for a while. (a few months?)

-However, do keep in mind almost every other context: "Body Comp" is choosing the slowest progress (in terms of muscle development).

-In addition, understand that you are "as big as you weigh" (despite some popular beliefs on the Internet - muscle is about 19% smaller than body fat, pound for pound). Which means that if you plan to recomp for life: 148lb you is going to remain "148lb big". So even if your plan is to one day be at (let's say) 10% BF (this is just an example; there is NOTHING "magical" about the number 10!), and then recomp (hoping that through the years maybe it will become 9.5%... 9%...), you are still going to be small (And you are not going to have a lot of muscle on you). So back to the the 10% example: Your goals through the years should be being at 10% BF at 155lb, and eventually 10% BF at 160lb, and then one day 10% BF at 165lb, and 170lb... and so on...

-----

To sum it up:

-You can recomp now (but definitely shouldn't cut!), maybe a a few months.

-Then don't recomp ever. (Not because it's impossible, but because while possible - it's stupid*).

*Unless we are talking strength gains alone.

EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Squooshy View Post
    With summer coming I've become more and more engaged in trying to become presentable. Visually I think my body is in the skinnyfat phase, so I've been on a slight deficit while lifting in an attempt to build a flatter stomach with better muscle definition. I understandably won't get huge eating less, but can I at least get on the path to shredded?

I'm still newbie with only about a month of hardcore dieting/training, and so far I am hitting PRs almost every session, which follows a upper/lower alternating routine 4-5 x week. It's not perfect but I want to prioritize lower body, biceps, pecs, and traps in decreasing importance.

Also wanted to add I don't sweat too much on the diet, but I do make sure to eat 100-120g protein daily.

Stats:
    Male, 21
    H: 5'9''
    W: 148 lb
    bf: 14% calculated by the Navy test, but I'd put myself visually at 15-16%
    Currently at 500 cal deficit, roughly determined by my Fitbit
    It's possible to recomp as long as your body has fat to fuel muscle gain.

But unless your goal physique is at 148 lbs or lower, it's pointless for you to recomp. You should bulk and make your year 1-2 gains first and then consider cutting down and get "shredded". Unless you like how Christian Bale looks in the Machinist.
    The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.

- Richard Feynman