Squooshy is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Purpose of Smith Machine?

The squat racks at my gym are usually pretty packed, but the Smith machine is eternally empty, save for the one guy who does calf raises once in a blue moon. My question is what else could I use a smith machine for, and is it a significant downgrade from the unassisted squat rack?

xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The women in my gym love the smith machines for hip thrusts.
    All it takes is consistency, effort, proper nutrition, good programming, and TIME.

Don't be upset with the results you didn't get from the work you did not do.

BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    The problem with using a smith machine for the big 3 lifts, especially at heavier weight, lower reps. Is the fixed bar path. The likelihood that bar path is optimal for your body's bio mechanics is slim.

My pronouns are bro/brah Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I bench with it because of trashed shoulders. The best exercise though is close grip bench press semi skull crusher style.
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

Squooshy is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by xsquid99 View Post
    Unironically this is something I'd love to do. I have a frightening genetic history of Hank-Hill ass and setting up hip thrusts with barbell are very annoying. It would be nice to have some safeties in place so I don't have to crawl on the floor at the end of a set. So they just push a bench up to the machine and go to town?

coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Squooshy View Post
    The squat racks at my gym are usually pretty packed, but the Smith machine is eternally empty, save for the one guy who does calf raises once in a blue moon. My question is what else could I use a smith machine for, and is it a significant downgrade from the unassisted squat rack?
    * Things I use my Smith machine for
    Bench
    Incline bench
    Decline bench

Shoulder press
    Upright row (at times)

Skull crushers
    Close grip bench

Squats
    Front squats
    Split squats

Calf raises

I have seen people do chins and body rows and barbell rows and even deadlifts (shrug)
    "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. "By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."

Old Guy deadlifting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zMrim-0Dks
    bench press https://youtu.be/GaRzfueJVJQ

Every workout is GAME DAY!

MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I use it for shrugs and I see plenty of people benching with it. Years ago I used to do front squats with it.

Putting aside whether the bar path is optimal or not, it's more akin to a machine exercise where you don't have to worry so much about balance and coordination.

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Squooshy View Post
    Use whatever works for you, but if you're new to lifting & are going to use the smith bar, I suggest continuing to also do big lifts with a freestanding barbell so you learn the movements properly (and have a point of reference for comparison).

EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    It's easier than the free barbell, has several failsafes along its path and requires no stabilization. Depending on your circumstance and goals, that can be a good or bad thing.
    Bench: 340
    Squat: 405
    Deadlift: 505

"... But always, there remained, the discipline of steel!"

Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Beginners shouldn’t use the Smith unless they have some sort of issue that prevent the use of free weights

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

FoxFireFlame will become famous soon enough. (+50) FoxFireFlame will become famous soon enough. (+50) FoxFireFlame will become famous soon enough. (+50) FoxFireFlame will become famous soon enough. (+50) FoxFireFlame will become famous soon enough. (+50) FoxFireFlame will become famous soon enough. (+50) FoxFireFlame will become famous soon enough. (+50) FoxFireFlame will become famous soon enough. (+50) FoxFireFlame will become famous soon enough. (+50) FoxFireFlame will become famous soon enough. (+50) FoxFireFlame will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    With a fixed bar path, Smith Machine is very good for assistance and modified exercise.
    In other words, great for someone with an injury or disability.
    I believe the optimal lift setup is inside a power rack since you don't need a spotter but still have to balance the bar.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by xsquid99 View Post
    So do I, it's much easier to set up than with a free weight barbell. The bar path is close enough to being straight IMO.

I've also used it for front squats (I can't get comfortable with back squats), seated overhead press (or steep incline bench press technically), I also use it as a support doing sissy squats.

Amazing. We’re making it through a whole Smith thread without the “I use it to hang my towel on “ comment

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Walking lunges are a beast in a Smith Machine! Especially if it's bolted down.
    In seriousness I use my Smith as an alternative to just about any free weight exercise. The only things you can't do in one obviously is a movement where the bar has to travel away from your body, like cleans, snatches, etc.
    "It is my own fault for replying in a smith thread." deadwoodgregg

Ordained Minister of Perpetual Consumption and all around righteous dude.

My home gym pictures: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175136471&p=1632857623&viewfull=1#post1632857623

My workout journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=120169181

coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Some smith machine facts…

Some smith machines have a counterbalanced weightless bar…load accordingly
    Others have bearings and a standard bar, load accordingly
    Still others have an actual Olympic bar, plus additional hardware that makes the bar 65 lbs or even 70. Load accordingly
    Some smith machines work on rails, if unoiled, can make weights move slow dragging steel on steel…oil em up.

I have zero appreciation for the angled rails. That’s just weird.
    "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. "By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."

Old Guy deadlifting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zMrim-0Dks
    bench press https://youtu.be/GaRzfueJVJQ

Every workout is GAME DAY!

Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by BiGx5MurF View Post
    The problem with using a smith machine for the big 3 lifts, especially at heavier weight, lower reps. Is the fixed bar path. The likelihood that bar path is optimal for your body's bio mechanics is slim.
    +1. Any type of bench press on the Smith always made my elbow joints scream and didn't work well with my tendency for shoulder impingement either. I like it for standing calf raise, shrugs and a handful of other movements, but for me it's usefulness is very limited.

Originally Posted by FoxFireFlame View Post
    With a fixed bar path, Smith Machine is very good for assistance and modified exercise.
    In other words, great for someone with an injury or disability.
    I supposed it depends on the nature of the injury or disability. For the reasons state above, I find it wreaks havoc on my 44 y/o joints with certain lifts.

Originally Posted by jaxqen View Post
    It reminded me about this

lol

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

TheFugitive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TheFugitive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TheFugitive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TheFugitive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TheFugitive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TheFugitive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TheFugitive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TheFugitive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TheFugitive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TheFugitive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TheFugitive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Smith Machines prevent injuries which is a huge plus, but I'm really not a fan of the restricted motion
    alienshave.com - Shave Smarter

steve@alienshave.com

BMBC - Master Level - Worldwide

Original 999,999k Crew

BCAAs Bring all the Boys to the Yard

MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Tommy W. View Post
    I bench with it because of trashed shoulders. The best exercise though is close grip bench press semi skull crusher style.
    I honestly used to hate the Smith..for anything but inverted rows or heavy shrugs..

BUT

with modifications like this for big movements, its actually viable for straight up hyp work similar to any other machine..

or as supplemental work for athletes who also do free weighted 'athletic' stuff for the other benefits and performance elements.
    FMH crew - Couch.

'pick a program from the stickies' = biggest cop out post.