LazerTag will become famous soon enough. (+50) LazerTag will become famous soon enough. (+50) LazerTag will become famous soon enough. (+50) LazerTag will become famous soon enough. (+50) LazerTag will become famous soon enough. (+50) LazerTag will become famous soon enough. (+50) LazerTag will become famous soon enough. (+50) LazerTag will become famous soon enough. (+50) LazerTag will become famous soon enough. (+50) LazerTag will become famous soon enough. (+50) LazerTag will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Personal trainer advice

I started lifting weights about 3 years ago at age 42. I got hooked. I got a personal trainer to move from machines to free weights and learned a lot, mostly dumbbell stuff though. However, my trainer wouldn’t show me deadlift and squats due to my age. Said that was a “young man’s game and would lead to back problems”

I hurt myself deadlifting and know my squat form is bad. I also suck at finding a program. So, I’m going to get another personal trainer at gold’s gym.

Any advice for how to get my money’s worth?
    Last edited by LazerTag; 05-15-2022 at 11:21 AM.

Crawling back under rock OldFartTom's Avatar
    OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Remember that thing (Maimonides) about give someone a fish and you could feed them a day, teach them how to fish and you could feed them for life

Find a trainer who's willing to teach squat, deadlift -- then you can look after yourself.

You don't need to pull record breaking weight to benefit from those doing movements, so why would age prevent learning basic form?

supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by LazerTag View Post
    I started lifting weights about 3 years ago at age 42. I got hooked. I got a personal trainer to move from machines to free weights and learned a lot, mostly dumbbell stuff though. However, my trainer wouldn’t show me deadlift and squats due to my age. Said that was a “young man’s game and would lead to back problems”

I hurt myself deadlifting and know my squat form is bad. I also suck and finding a program. So, I’m going to get another personal trainer at gold’s gym.

Any advice for how to get my money’s worth?
    The deadlift didn't hurt your back. Your poor execution hurt your back. I'm 72 and I deadlift several times each week. You might disagree on the approach, etc., in this video (I use Rippetoes approach), but the actual initiation of the movement is THE WAY to deadlift safely:

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Wait until you see a trainer at your gym actually doing squats and DLs when he trains on his own time, and close to what looks like good form from what you’ve seen in YT instructional videos.

Your trainer may be using your age as an excuse simply because he doesn’t squat or DL, or can’t do either well enough to teach it properly.

supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    Wait until you see a trainer at your gym actually doing squats and DLs when he trains on his own time, and close to what looks like good form from what you’ve seen in YT instructional videos.

Your trainer may be using your age as an excuse simply because he doesn’t squat or DL, or can’t do either well enough to teach it properly.
    There's nothing to it. The deadlift is probably the simplest of all compound exercises.
    Last edited by supramax; 05-17-2022 at 05:12 AM.

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by supramax View Post
    There's nothing to it. The deadlift is probably the simplest of all compound exercises.
    Possibly, but people still mess it up quite often.

pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000)
    I'm 62. Deadlift and squats are part of my program. If you want to get stronger and develop muscle, find another trainer that can help you with form. My advice is to take the longer road, and actually learn how to do these.