bgokjh is on a distinguished road. (+10)

is workout efficient

Hey,

I and my brother started working out a month and a half ago and our routine was a 3-Day full-body workout.

Now we want to level up the routine and do a 4 day PPL with a full-body routine, How effective is this?

Although I've also read that splitting the routine to Upper body/ Lower body over the course of 4 days is effective as well.
    Our goals are to gain muscle and maintain a lean and toned body figure while also being in good health and shape.
    Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong forum, I'm here to learn and improve my efficiency and health.

Thanks in advance.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    It doesn't matter that much as long as
    a. your total workload for the week is the same or maybe slightly higher than before
    b. any exercise you do is not adversely affected by something you did the day before - e.g. lower back too sore to squat or biceps too sore to row etc.

Experimentation and using feedback to adapt what you do is essential.

coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by bgokjh View Post
    Hey,

I and my brother started working out a month and a half ago and our routine was a 3-Day full-body workout.

Now we want to level up the routine and do a 4 day PPL with a full-body routine, How effective is this?

Although I've also read that splitting the routine to Upper body/ Lower body over the course of 4 days is effective as well.
    Our goals are to gain muscle and maintain a lean and toned body figure while also being in good health and shape.
    Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong forum, I'm here to learn and improve my efficiency and health.

Thanks in advance.

There are many options. That said, a VERY workable split shown here:

Monday and Thursday- chest, back, shoulders, abs
    Tuesday and Friday- legs and arms, calves

Rest on Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday.

Example of Mon/Thursday workout

Bench press 10-8-6-4
    Incline bench 10-8-6-4

Seated rows 12-10-8-6
    Pulldowns 12-10-8-6

Seated db press 10-8-6-4
    Upright rows 12-10-8-6

Situps 3 sets to failure

Example of Tuesday/Friday
    Squats 15-12-10-8
    Deadlift 5-3-1 (Friday only)
    Leg press 12-10-8-6
    Leg ext 15-12-10-8
    Leg curls 15-12-10-8
    Calf raises 20-15-12-10

Barbell curls 12-10-8-6-6
    Triceps extensions 12-10-8-6-6

*record weights, each workout try to add reps, then weight, get stronger in those rep ranges.
    "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. "By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."

Old Guy deadlifting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zMrim-0Dks
    bench press https://youtu.be/GaRzfueJVJQ

Every workout is GAME DAY!

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Post the actual program if you'd like useful feedback on it.

1st day:
    Pull day - Pullups, Face pull, Neutral Lat Pulldown, seated cable row, Single DB Rowing, incline dumbbell curls.
    2nd day:
    Leg day - squat, leg curl, Standing Calf Raise , Leg extensions and lunges
    3rd day:
    Push day - Bench press, incline dumbbell press, dumbbell flyes, dips, triceps rope pushdown, Standing Lateral Raises, DB Front Raises, dumbbell shoulder press
    <rest day>
    4th day:
    Full body workout - around 2 exercises per muscle group

We are doing 3 sets each with 12 reps

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    1st day:
    Pull day - Pullups, Face pull, Neutral Lat Pulldown, seated cable row, Single DB Rowing, incline dumbbell curls.
    2nd day:
    3rd day:
    Push day - Bench press, incline dumbbell press, dumbbell flyes, dips, triceps rope pushdown, Standing Lateral Raises, DB Front Raises, dumbbell shoulder press
    <rest day>
    4th day:

IMO you'd be better off going with a proper existing program if you want to move to 4 days after only working out for 1 1/2 months.

Exercise order, balance & across the board reps for all exercises don't seem great, but give it a try & see how it works for you if you want.

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    1st day:
    2nd day:
    3rd day:
    <rest day>
    4th day:

You're not doing anything that targets hip extension. The order of exercises is pretty random and there's unnecessary duplication.
    Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

Originally Posted by TolerantLactose View Post
    You're not doing anything that targets hip extension. The order of exercises is pretty random and there's unnecessary duplication.
    So I added in glute bridges for hip extension and I tried ordering it in a way that the exercises that use the most muscles will be first and also altering it based on PPL workouts I found online. Regarding the duplication, I tried to make it so there won't be any duplicate movement.
    If you have any tips or suggestions I'd love to know about it

MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    That isn't what id call 'leveling up' your program tbh.
    And had some pretty glaring omissions.

Boys above covering it well
    FMH crew - Couch.

'pick a program from the stickies' = biggest cop out post.

Cocosthetics is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cocosthetics is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cocosthetics is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cocosthetics is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cocosthetics is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cocosthetics is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cocosthetics is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cocosthetics is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cocosthetics is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cocosthetics is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cocosthetics is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Here's what I think:

I wouldn't run the system you have listed, because it has way too many accessories and junk volume. The fullbody day would most likely be a leg orientated workout day, since the push/pull days cover all of your weekly upper body volume.

What I would do:

I'd continue running a novice fullbody split, or an U/L novice split, although I can't recommend one from the top of my head, and stick to the periodisation/progression method listed on it. You will build size and strength by focusing primarily on the compounds, since they are what will build your foundation. The isolation work can be added later on, or can be incorporated to a minimum; they are there to add more volume, but shouldn't interfere with your focus.

In regards to staying healthy and being in shape:

Low intesity cardio for 12-20 minutes twice or three times a week is what I like doing, but you should focus on one goal at a time, otherwise you'll feel overwhelmed. So balance is important, and as a result, doing a fullbody 3x a week, in addition to 2 cardio sessions per week is what I think would suit you best, at least from the goals that you have listed.

Originally Posted by Cocosthetics View Post
    Here's what I think:

I wouldn't run the system you have listed, because it has way too many accessories and junk volume. The fullbody day would most likely be a leg orientated workout day, since the push/pull days cover all of your weekly upper body volume.

What I would do:

I'd continue running a novice fullbody split, or an U/L novice split, although I can't recommend one from the top of my head, and stick to the periodisation/progression method listed on it. You will build size and strength by focusing primarily on the compounds, since they are what will build your foundation. The isolation work can be added later on, or can be incorporated to a minimum; they are there to add more volume, but shouldn't interfere with your focus.

In regards to staying healthy and being in shape:

Low intesity cardio for 12-20 minutes twice or three times a week is what I like doing, but you should focus on one goal at a time, otherwise you'll feel overwhelmed. So balance is important, and as a result, doing a fullbody 3x a week, in addition to 2 cardio sessions per week is what I think would suit you best, at least from the goals that you have listed.

Thank you so much for such a detailed and informative response, I really do appreciate it.
    Going for a U/L split is what I might end up doing but I've also thought about splitting it into one day of back, legs and biceps and one day of triceps, chest and shoulders and all are gonna be compound exercises with perhaps some isolated ones for muscles I'd like to focus on a little bit more.
    Repeating those days twice a week so it's a 4 day workout.

Is that a good option too?

For example:
    Monday - Back, legs and biceps
    Tuesday - Chest, triceps and shoulders
    Thursday - Back, legs and biceps
    Friday - Chest, triceps and shoulders

I also don't like taking premade workouts since I want try and make one myself as I'd learn a lot from it and I'll understand why am I doing each exercise and know exactly where and how to modify it.
    Last edited by bgokjh; 05-16-2022 at 02:46 AM.

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Thank you so much for such a detailed and informative response, I really do appreciate it.
    Going for a U/L split is what I might end up doing but I've also thought about splitting it into one day of back, legs and biceps and one day of triceps, chest and shoulders and all are gonna be compound exercises with perhaps some isolated ones for muscles I'd like to focus on a little bit more.

For example:

I also don't like taking premade workouts since I want try and make one myself as I'd learn a lot from it and I'll understand why am I doing each exercise and know exactly where and how to modify it.
    No, that is not a good option. You have one quarter of your body on one day and three quarters in the other.

A lot of novices (myself included) go through a phase where they want to design their own training. I would say it's the number one reason I made little progress. I wasted years doing this.
    Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

For example:

Dude just run it then adjust as necessary. As you say, sometimes the best way to learn is from your mistakes.

Sinfinia has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sinfinia has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sinfinia has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sinfinia has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sinfinia has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sinfinia has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sinfinia has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sinfinia has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sinfinia has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sinfinia has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sinfinia has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

For example:

You do you, but I'll give you 2 things to think about:

1. Programming is about knowing what to do to drive progress, and this is mostly about knowing how to choose the right amount of work to keep balance between *doing enough*, and *recovering well*.

Programming is barely about "doing the right split", or "choosing the best exercises"; Programming is mostly about knowing how much I should lift today, and how much I should lift next week.

People who don't understand programming think there are some "magical combos" of splits or exercises that do the difference. There are no "magic combos". Programming is about having plans.

-----

2. "Advanced program" is only "better" if you can't make good use of a beginner program. Some people get the wrong notion that beginner programs are something you "compromise" on because you are just a beginner, and once they are ready for the "real thing", they should start "training serious, in a more advanced program". But it's the opposite that's true: Advanced programs suck. You do more, just to milk less... They are the compromise. Beginner programs are where you work less, but progress aggressively fast... Except advanced lifters can't keep up with those anymore, so they have to compromise on advanced programs.

Molding yourself into an advanced program when you can fit into the awesomeness that is beginner programs won't turn you into an advanced lifter faster. This is like buying an oversized shirt and expecting that wearing it will make you bigger.
    Last edited by Sinfinia; 05-16-2022 at 10:45 AM.