lusnoth is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Scoliosis causing asymmetry

Hey guys, how y'all doing?

So, I've been hitting the gym for 4 months now and I've started to see some gains. The problem is that I also started to see a very noticeable asymmetry in my chest (the right one is bigger then the left one). I think this may be due to the scoliosis I have (the last time I checked the doctor said it wasn't extremely bad, but it was indeed something lol).

It would be of biiiig help if you guys could tell me if this asymmetry is something I could fix by doing more exercices on the right side (the smaller one) to compensate, or if it's something I'm most probably cursed with (lmao).

Here a link with pictures of my current state: https://imgur.com/a/AGwIgO4

joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I don’t have much to offer but I’m tagging in to see what you learn.

You didn’t mention how you train. Perhaps you are using stationary weight machines, the kind with two handles that connect to a single stack of weights? If so it is entirely possible that your bad side is doing much less work than your good side and switching to barbells, dumbbells or double stacked weight machines might help?

My situation is different but there are some parallels. My right arm is permanently injured. Injured as in order to brush my teeth I had to place the toothbrush in my right hand and then use my left hand to raise my right hand up to my mouth.

So, I thought to myself, why should I let my right arm hold my left side back? I then resigned myself to asymmetric training. So, fast forward a year, I’m on the seated chest press machine and I put two 45 lb. plates on the left side and a single 25 lb. plate on the right side and rep out.

Do I look askew? Absolutely. But so what? That’s what shirts are for :-)

If I had gone for symmetry I would have limited my good side. By training my good side I think it also helped to pull along my bad side. I mean not only can I brush my teeth now I could do it with a 25 lb. toothbrush …
    joe Henry