EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

How to you approach deloads?

Do you do scheduled deloads, do you deload intuitively, upper and lower body separately, never deload at all, full week off once in a while - what is your preferred approach?

I've personally ended up with very rarely doing deloads and instead just progress on the lowest overall volume that I can use and still make strength gains. I'll also rotate between exercises from time to time, so for instance after now having trained mostly barbell rows I will switch to doing rows on gym rings. When you switch between exercises there will be a strength deficit in the start until you get used to the new exercise, which will automatically function as a "deload" in addition to slightly switching focus on what muscles are being recruited.

I'll only do actual traditional deloads (purposeful reduction in intensity or volume) intuitively whenever I feel like my body needs more recovery time.

I've done more systematic/planned deloads before but that was when I did more overall volume. And I personally found that deloads didn't always help that much - if the issue is overuse injuries then doing a deload and then back to the program may not necessarily help. The deload may make you feel better when you get back but if the issue is due to something else than going too hard for too long - muscle imbalances, sloppy form etc. the deload may just mask the underlying issue until you end up having to address it through changing other aspects of your overall program.
    The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.

- Richard Feynman

EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    In my own miscellaneous training, I'm more in favor of taking a few consecutive rest days off totally than reducing workload. I find the sweet spot is about 4 days, give or take, and usually about every 2 months. That may or may not be ideal, however.
    Bench: 345
    Squat: 405
    Deadlift: 505

"... But always, there remained, the discipline of steel!"

paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I don't really schedule a deload. They are just unplanned depending on work I do irl. I have no idea what work is going to be like being self employed.
    Current rankings:

EliKoehn: Sparrow
    Steffo: Opossum
    MTpockets: Opossum
    TolerantLactose: Opossum
    Faithbrah: Opossum
    SuicideGripMe: Opossum
    Air2Fakie: Opossum
    Camarija: Raccoon
    TearsOfIce: Fox
    Paulinkansas: Coyote
    Snails: Wolf

coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by EiFit91 View Post
    Do you do scheduled deloads, do you deload intuitively, upper and lower body separately, never deload at all, full week off once in a while - what is your preferred approach?

I've personally ended up with very rarely doing deloads and instead just progress on the lowest overall volume that I can use and still make strength gains. I'll also rotate between exercises from time to time, so for instance after now having trained mostly barbell rows I will switch to doing rows on gym rings. When you switch between exercises there will be a strength deficit in the start until you get used to the new exercise, which will automatically function as a "deload" in addition to slightly switching focus on what muscles are being recruited.

I'll only do actual traditional deloads (purposeful reduction in intensity or volume) intuitively whenever I feel like my body needs more recovery time.

I've done more systematic/planned deloads before but that was when I did more overall volume. And I personally found that deloads didn't always help that much - if the issue is overuse injuries then doing a deload and then back to the program may not necessarily help. The deload may make you feel better when you get back but if the issue is due to something else than going too hard for too long - muscle imbalances, sloppy form etc. the deload may just mask the underlying issue until you end up having to address it through changing other aspects of your overall program.

I lift every other day, never two days in a row. This helps tremendously.

I also go purely by instinctive training. If I am warming up and I don’t feel fully rested or ready for some big heavy sets, I’ll start really light and more gradually get myself into the training zone. 60-90% of max or roughly 20-3 reps is my rep range for lifting. I might spend most of my time in the 6-10 range one day, more in the 3-7 on another, 8-15 on another. None of it makes you smaller and this really is a key to longevity in lifting.

I hate to plan a deload, but I will, as I last did back in late February, mainly because of a short road trip …I took three consecutive days off.

I think deloading is more of a powerlifter thing than a bodybuilding thing to be honest. That does not mean bodybuilders shouldn’t ever lighten up or lower volume…

Like a power hitter in baseball, things go in streaks,,,,,why deload if you’re in a hot streak? Smash it til you have no choice but to back off. Backing off for me, lately, is doing 10-12 sets per body part vs 15-18. Sometimes just doing two simple compounds for a body part is just better than adding isolation work in etc.

Hit a variety of rep ranges for example
    15-20
    10-15
    5-10
    3-5

Go by feel spending your time where the fit and feel is best for that particular movement on that particular day.

Just how I go about it.
    "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. "By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."

Old Guy deadlifting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zMrim-0Dks
    bench press https://youtu.be/GaRzfueJVJQ

Every workout is GAME DAY!

MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Cut volume
    Cut overall intensity
    Use self limited variations
    Maintain some heavy skill work
    Try to enjoy and relax
    FMH crew - Couch.

'pick a program from the stickies' = biggest cop out post.

jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Another approach - not entirely agree, but interesting points

Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by MyEgoProblem View Post
    Cut volume
    Cut overall intensity
    Use self limited variations
    Maintain some heavy skill work
    Try to enjoy and relax
    This is my approach too.

If I feel really beat up I just cut out the heavy skill work too.

And I prefer to plan deloads. I’d rather err on the side of caution vs possibly hit a brick wall and be forced to take an extended deload due to injury or digging too big of a recovery hole.
    the latest and greatest in training...or whatever.

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=177744461&page=3

MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Filmbuff81 View Post
    This is my approach too.

If I feel really beat up I just cut out the heavy skill work too.

And I prefer to plan deloads. I’d rather err on the side of caution vs possibly hit a brick wall and be forced to take an extended deload due to injury or digging too big of a recovery hole.
    If im on program... Ill run a block and pivot every 5th week. Then run a new block. And track every thing meticulously.

Ill drop the skill work as last resort.. But 1@6-7 max wll usually suffice on a pivot. Especially as its a lift I've not been doing.
    FMH crew - Couch.

Sinfinia has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sinfinia has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sinfinia has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sinfinia has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sinfinia has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sinfinia has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sinfinia has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sinfinia has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sinfinia has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sinfinia has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sinfinia has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    "Recovery weeks" Kill my momentum. I may return "fresh", but then have to re-acclimate before I'm strong again.

Instead, when I need a "breather" to catch up, recovery wise, I just "stretch" my "week", or split full sessions into two halves.

I.E: If my workouts for the week, are:
    Sunday: A,
    Monday: B,
    Wednesday: C,
    Friday: D

I may, instead, do:
    Sunday: A1 *possibly modified
    Monday: A2 *possibly modified
    Wednesday: Improvise,
    Friday: C,
    Monday: D1 *possibly modified
    Tuesday D2 *possibly modified
    Thursday: Improvise
    Then back to program.

In this example, I fit 6 "full" workouts (instead of 8) into 2 weeks, effectively "stealing" half a week of rest.

401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Easy...I just wait for the next injury, project or new chick to come along and that usually takes care of everything.

Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    If im on program... Ill run a block and pivot every 5th week. Then run a new block. And track every thing meticulously.

Ill drop the skill work as last resort.. But 1@6-7 max wll usually suffice on a pivot. Especially as its a lift I've not been doing.
    Makes sense.

Mike T and others love the pivot block.

I have mixed success hence my more conservative approach for myself.

Deloads are always interesting to discuss since there’s such a huge variance in response and preference.

Originally Posted by 401Delta View Post
    Easy...I just wait for the next injury, project or new chick to come along and that usually takes care of everything.
    I'm at the point I can't rep anyone decent any more... Cos i wont rep crap to get people off spread.

I feel i have experienced this post.

Makes sense.

Mike T and others love the pivot block.

I have mixed success hence my more conservative approach for myself.

Deloads are always interesting to discuss since there’s such a huge variance in response and preference.
    Ive been doing this since 2017. Well before i heard Mike talk about it.
    Now i have a name for it 😂

I just called it a 'conjugatey deload' back then, cos i swapped to daft lifts and cut stress levels.

Pretty sure old logs, the the fierce 5 threads or the big collab thread from a few years ago have a few mentions
    FMH crew - Couch.

I'm at the point I can't rep anyone decent any more... Cos i wont rep crap to get people off spread.

I feel i have experienced this post.

Ive been doing this since 2017. Well before i heard Mike talk about it.
    Now i have a name for it 😂

I just called it a 'conjugatey deload' back then, cos i swapped to daft lifts and cut stress levels.

Pretty sure old logs, the the fierce 5 threads or the big collab thread from a few years ago have a few mentions
    Yeah for sure.

I just meant considering you think similarly it makes sense you’d follow a similar path.

I know the BBM used to talk about them a bit back then too and considering Jordan is coached by mike it makes sense

radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I really don't. Having a family and busy career means that life gives me convenient (and inconvenient) opportunities to take time off from training.

If a have severe DOMS, I'll also take a couple days off. That doesn't happen very often anymore.

BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Eh.

I just don’t go to the gym if I’m feeling especially beat up.

Otherwise I’ll skip certain movements if I’m just feeling a little sluggish from life and work and such. But this doesn’t happen often.

I usually show up, do the work and leave.

"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants"
    -Sir Isaac Newton

Originally Posted by BeginnerGainz View Post
    Eh.

I just don’t go to the gym if I’m feeling especially beat up.

Otherwise I’ll skip certain movements if I’m just feeling a little sluggish from life and work and such. But this doesn’t happen often.

I usually show up, do the work and leave.
    I see this with most guys who just lift for size, its honestly much easier and really doesn't require much in the way of deloads unless you're really really hammering a ramp up.

Bodybuilding training is generally easy to recover and
    Requires minimal 'heavy' work.

I only really require deloads when im on program for powerlifting/max strength, won't have one in months just training for Size

Yeah for sure.

I just meant considering you think similarly it makes sense you’d follow a similar path.

I know the BBM used to talk about them a bit back then too and considering Jordan is coached by mike it makes sense
    Aye.... Honestly Mike was my biggest - learning tool - early on 😂
    FMH crew - Couch.