Thread: Small Lats

jose24034 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Small Lats

What’s the best way for me to hit my lats while not hitting my traps at all or very minimal trap involvement. My lats are very small compared to my overdeveloped traps and I really don’t like the look. Any suggestions? thanks.

unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000)
    are you referring to your mid/lower traps? are you looking for more lat width or depth? more info, possible pic needed.
    i'm hungry

EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by jose24034 View Post
    What’s the best way for me to hit my lats while not hitting my traps at all or very minimal trap involvement. My lats are very small compared to my overdeveloped traps and I really don’t like the look. Any suggestions? thanks.
    Hard to completely isolate muscles.

What's your pullup strength? Number of reps or number of reps with added weight?

Also post a picture of your lats, it's possible they aren't as small as you think.
    The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.

- Richard Feynman

EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by EiFit91 View Post
    Hard to completely isolate muscles.

What's your pullup strength? Number of reps or number of reps with added weight?

Also post a picture of your lats, it's possible they aren't as small as you think.
    Also, I think perhaps more than any other muscle, the lats lose apparent size the higher one's bodyfat level, since the fat stored around the waistline and lovehandles removes the taper which would otherwise be visible.
    Bench: 345
    Squat: 405
    Deadlift: 505

"... But always, there remained, the discipline of steel!"

BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Just learn to bias them in your pulling movements.

-Neutral spine
    -Neutral grip (not really a fan of supinated grips for most pulls, chins are fine)
    -Don’t start the movement with scapular retraction, think humeral depression
    -Too much shoulder flexion the lats start to lose leverage and therefor tension
    -If your arm travels behind you body, then it is no longer lats, they extend the shoulder and return it to neutral

I have all the back exercises in my program (and how I program for others) as upper back or lats and the difference is grip, upper arm position and angle of pull.
    Last edited by BeginnerGainz; 05-12-2022 at 03:25 PM.

"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants"
    -Sir Isaac Newton

xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    As others have mentioned its hard to isolate the two, but some of my favorite exercises for specifically targeting the lats are:

- straight arm pull downs on the cable machine
    - rows (dumbbell, seated cable, yates, pendlay, etc)
    - lat-pulls & pull-ups
    All it takes is consistency, effort, proper nutrition, good programming, and TIME.

Don't be upset with the results you didn't get from the work you did not do.

ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I like chest supported row. Also pull down machine of your gym has one. I prefer this to kat pull down.

Casca has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Casca has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Casca has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Casca has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Casca has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Casca has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Casca has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Casca has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Casca has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Casca has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Casca has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by xsquid99 View Post
    As others have mentioned its hard to isolate the two, but some of my favorite exercises for specifically targeting the lats are:

- straight arm pull downs on the cable machine
    - rows (dumbbell, seated cable, yates, pendlay, etc)
    - lat-pulls & pull-ups
    Came in to say this. I use it to supplement my front lever training. I like using the heaviest band I can pull fully down to waist 'standing' on my knees, pull down and then lower butt to heels and then slow controlled eccentric back up. Starting position is arms straight over head slightly behind body. Also use an easier band that I can do the full range seated butt on heels or floor. I do it one arm at a time and both at same time.
    ☆☆☆USA �яєω☆☆☆

Not Casca Berserk. Casca The Eternal Soldier

☆☆☆Perfectly Imperfect �яєω☆☆☆

☆☆☆What is the point of doing a bunch of reps if every rep you do is CRAP? �яєω☆☆☆

☆☆☆SuperStraight �яєω☆☆☆

☆☆☆snailsrus �яєω☆☆☆

☆☆☆High Five �яєω☆☆☆

Ironface has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Ironface has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Ironface has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Ironface has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Ironface has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Ironface has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Ironface has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Ironface has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Ironface has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Ironface has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Ironface has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    All I do for back is deadlifts, rows and pull-ups.

It’s not even close to lagging.

For strictly lats, pull-ups/chin-ups and basically any vertical pull will hit them hardest on a per-set basis.
    *Deadlifts pants after taking a chit crew*
    *Typos can go fucl themselves crew*
    *Nice miscer crew*
    *Loves reps, hates negs crew*
    *Faps before workout crew*
    *12+ hours of sleep crew*
    *Faps during workout crew*
    *Hates onions crew*
    *Faps after workout crew*
    *No fap crew*