bsrkoacar2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bsrkoacar2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bsrkoacar2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bsrkoacar2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bsrkoacar2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bsrkoacar2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bsrkoacar2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bsrkoacar2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bsrkoacar2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bsrkoacar2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bsrkoacar2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)

have never followed a program. just been winging it. worth following something?

I've been lifting for 4 years with strength as the goal. Have never followed an actual program. Just do a lot of heavy triples and some back off sets and then accessories and some volume days when I'm feeling beat up. Just kind of wing it based on how I fee, yet is still fairly structured, I know what I want to do before I get to the gym. Sometimes change things up if i feel off. Is it worth finding a real powerlifting program? I'm hesitant because I'm still progressing and feel like what I'm doing is getting results. Unsure if this will take me to 800lb DL which is my ultimate goal. Strength numbers are in my signature.

My programing is basically bench, DL, squat focused days, rest, upper body, rest, rest. Prioritizing progressive overload for progression.

Competed a month ago and some of the competitors told me I should look into getting a coach because they thought I had potential and were surprised I was self taught.
    Last edited by bsrkoacar2; 05-10-2022 at 11:38 PM.
    I'm 33 not 51

6'3" 260lbs

1 rep max PRs
    415 bench
    545 squat (haven't squatted in a year)
    700x3 deadlift

Miami Beach

PhDPepper1111 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhDPepper1111 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhDPepper1111 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhDPepper1111 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhDPepper1111 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhDPepper1111 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhDPepper1111 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhDPepper1111 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhDPepper1111 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhDPepper1111 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhDPepper1111 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Depends on your goals and how serious you want to be.
    Sounds like you have 'part of a plan'
    Yes, I'd recommend getting a very specific program tailored to your goals and progress. The best way is a coach. That can be expensive or difficult to find.
    At the least find a program that you think is aligned with your level of progress (e.g., beginner/intermediate/advanced) and goals and try it. There are thousands of programs out there.
    4 years of pseudo training is a great start, and your numbers are solid. My guess is you have some really good potential that a good program could help you tap into.
    It's never too late!

5'6", 215

Results:
    2/26/22 USPA PNW drug tested championships: 501/325/540/1366 @ 209lb
    11/7/21 IPL drug tested world championships: 463/319/529/1311 @ 205lb
    6/20/21 USPA Western drug tested regionals: DQ (bombed squats) @ 192lb
    2/27/21 USPA PNW drug tested championships: 468/308/501/1278 @ 202lb
    10/10/2020 USPA FS meet: 407/303/474/1185 @ 212lb

Gym PRs:
    529/336/555

DravinBlake has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DravinBlake has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DravinBlake has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DravinBlake has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DravinBlake has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DravinBlake has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DravinBlake has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DravinBlake has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DravinBlake has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DravinBlake has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DravinBlake has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    So I'm pretty young, but I've been training as a strongman for around 2 years at this point, a bit more at this point.
    I've had a coach for a while, starting off my squat was only 315 but has grown to 400 in less than 2 months, along with that my log press is up to 225 from 155.

ultimately I've already had to fire a coach since he was scamming me and not paying attention to me as an athlete, but my coach now is a lot better he's even been invited to compete at the Shaw classic this year. He knows what he's doing and gives me exercise, reps, sets, and even how long in between sets and I can tell my workouts are on the next level.

I would look around between your fellow lifters and see if anyone is qualified to be a coach. I actually met my coach at NC's strongest man where we were both competing, he caught my eye because he log pressed 400 lbs without using leg drive lol.

I actually have a lot of friends in my local strongman community which opens up my options for coaching a lot I would recommend getting out there and making as many local friends as possible then seeing if any of them know a good coach.

So to answer your question since I know I rambled on for a while in my reply, look around and see if there is anyone you might want to be a coach, along with that evaluate if you are the type of person who will benefit from a coach. Are you going to follow the plan perfectly? are you going to do the exact amount of reps listed? are you going to time out each rest period before your next set, etc.

If you are that kind of person I personally would say go for it man! It cant hurt to try.

keep us updated on how things go

LiftNutz will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiftNutz will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiftNutz will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiftNutz will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiftNutz will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiftNutz will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiftNutz will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiftNutz will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiftNutz will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiftNutz will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiftNutz will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by bsrkoacar2 View Post
    I've been lifting for 4 years with strength as the goal. Have never followed an actual program. Just do a lot of heavy triples and some back off sets and then accessories and some volume days when I'm feeling beat up. Just kind of wing it based on how I fee, yet is still fairly structured, I know what I want to do before I get to the gym. Sometimes change things up if i feel off. Is it worth finding a real powerlifting program? I'm hesitant because I'm still progressing and feel like what I'm doing is getting results. Unsure if this will take me to 800lb DL which is my ultimate goal. Strength numbers are in my signature.

My programing is basically bench, DL, squat focused days, rest, upper body, rest, rest. Prioritizing progressive overload for progression.

Competed a month ago and some of the competitors told me I should look into getting a coach because they thought I had potential and were surprised I was self taught.

There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question, as the importance of a powerlifting program for strength gains will vary depending on the individual's goals and starting point. However, for many people, a powerlifting program can be an important part of their strength-training journey...

The answer to this question depends on a number of factors, including your current strength level, your goals, and your schedule. If you are new to powerlifting, or if your goal is to increase strength as quickly as possible, you may want to consider a program like Wendler 5/3/1. If you have more experience with powerlifting, or if you are looking to increase strength more gradually, you may want to try a program like Smolov. If you're more advanced look into the Westside Barbell method, the conjugate method, or try the linear progression method.
    "I'm not here to talk, I'm here to lift."