lemke2013 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Gaining Weight /Possibly Silly Question

I hope this is okay to post in here. I hate trying to "google" these things.
    Long story short (well, a bit long) -
    Family history of overweight people. I understand we're starting to realize part of this is genetics now, so I feel it's important to note. Thyroid issue and PCOS. Both of which are under control, and have been for many years.
    40 years old. Love to exercise. Up until about 2 years ago, I was doing 2 a days most days - Running or some sort of cardio in the morning, then weight lifting or HIIT-type workout after work in the evening. Ate well, as it increased my performance, and well, honestly, with my family history, I know what I'm up against. Was very strong for my size, and very muscular - 5'4" 165. Not skinny by any means, but very fit, very muscular.

Then, went through a very difficult time, including the sudden death of both parents - one of which was quite horrible. During this time, wasn't sleeping at all, was woken up in middle of the night to have to rush to the hospital with just horrible situations and decisions - just high stress all around. To cope, switched to 3 a days pure cardio, 7 days a week - dripping in sweat, hour plus long cardio sessions on no sleep.
    You can guess what happened there - craving of sugar, occasional alcohol use to sleep when I could, and insanely rapid weight gain. had to be over 198 at one point - was too scared to get on the scale

Now (as of about 3 months ago), my cortisol levels are starting to recover, and I'm starting to get my blood levels back on track, and have focused back on diet and exercise. Watching macros and lifting again, seeing body change - noticing muscle come back very quickly. (Which, surprisingly took a lot longer to get strength back than you'd think!) High on protein, but not doing any crazy keto or anything like that. Was down to 185 last week
    Now, here's the ridiculous question - and I KNOW I know better, but I need the reassurance.
    Was lifting really heavy with lots of reps this week. Muscles are honestly at full exhaustion at this point, especially core. Got on scale - and was up 3 lbs on this week's weigh in
    Is it possible with 5-6 times a week workouts, most days with weights, pretty much every day with bodyweight - that my muscular growth is outpacing the fat loss?

S: Heated Yoga with weights, M: Barre with Weights, T: HIIT, W: rest, T: Full Body Weight Lifting, F: Elliptical with resistance/incl (basically a rest day), S: 50/50 Indoor Spin with Resistance, Jump off for full body resistance training with weights

DustinTheHuss has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DustinTheHuss has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DustinTheHuss has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DustinTheHuss has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DustinTheHuss has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DustinTheHuss has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DustinTheHuss has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DustinTheHuss has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DustinTheHuss has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DustinTheHuss has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DustinTheHuss has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I avoid the scale and stick to the tape measure and mirror because the scale can measure constipation, water retention, etc.

But lifting weights does cause muscle growth and extra weight, which is what many men hope for.

I know your pain as I'm over 40 and struggle with weight myself, to the point where I was super fit but then ran into some difficult times, craved sugar and alcohol, and gained 10 lbs in a month (back when I weighed myself).
    Make It a Great Day! Just call me Dusty. It's a Clown 🤡 World out there.

Christian Crew
    Positivity Crew

xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by lemke2013 View Post
    IWas lifting really heavy with lots of reps this week. Muscles are honestly at full exhaustion at this point, especially core. Got on scale - and was up 3 lbs on this week's weigh in
    Is it possible with 5-6 times a week workouts, most days with weights, pretty much every day with bodyweight - that my muscular growth is outpacing the fat loss?
    Short answer is no, you can't build muscle at a rate that would mask fat loss, unless of course you're in a calorie surplus then muscle growth could exceed fat addition if your training and nutrition were dialed in (or in some cases while eating at maintenance). If you're just starting back up lifting you will get swelling that can result in fluid retention and weight gain, but this will usually balance itself out after a couple weeks. A 3 lb gain in just a 1 week span is likely just due to water weight. That's why its important to take body tape measurements and weigh yourself every day and watch the long term trends.

I see a lot of emphasis placed on what your routine is, and how hard you're working in the gym, and emphasis on tracking weight. What I don't see is one mention of what your daily calorie intake and macros are, which is the only thing that really matters here if you're targeting weight loss as a goal.
    Last edited by xsquid99; 05-11-2022 at 08:25 PM.
    All it takes is consistency, effort, proper nutrition, good programming, and TIME.

Don't be upset with the results you didn't get from the work you did not do.