MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Seriously demotivated

I've been lifting for approximately 3 years now and been through a couple of cut and bulk cycles.

I track my calories and macros and keep a workout journal where each week I attempt to increase reps or weight.

I wouldn't say I'm "advanced" but I'm certainly not a newb.

For the past 4 weeks or so I've noticed that my lifts are going down. Usually by 1 to 2 reps. Although in some cases by as much as 4 reps.

If I get a PB in an exercise then usually all the other exercises that follow will be down 1-2 reps, so the overall workload is less than a couple of months ago.

Today was the final straw where I did legs and missed 2 reps on every single exercise and every single set.

I took some measurements and at my current weight (186 pounds) compared to the same weight around this time last year (I've cut and then bulked since then) my chest and waist is the same, my biceps and quads are half a centimetre smaller. Even if they were mis-measured last year I certainly haven't gained anything.

At first I thought it was just psychological so I carried on. Then I started eating more (currently on 3,800 calories), increased carbs, then sleeping more, and it didn't help. I eat over 100g fat and 400g of carbs each day. I started doing a little cardio, taking a multi vitamin, had a deload week, I tried having an extra day off each week... nothing is helping.

When I workout I don't feel worn out or tired, my muscles don't even feel weak, but half way through a set they kind of feel "empty".

The only other thing I can think of is that approximately 3 months ago I stopped taking creatine. I never felt that it did anything and it was difficult to get hold of recently. I heard the effects can wear off after 4-6 weeks, but I wonder if it was actually doing something after all and it's taken 3 months to wear off? I have ordered some more, but MyProtein is showing out of stock and my order hasn't been dispatched, so I don't know if it will arrive. There is nowhere local that stocks it now.

I'm seriously thinking of throwing in the towel. I don't want to, but it's like I'm regressing, and none of the usual things are helping.

Please help!
    Last edited by MrCarrot; 04-30-2022 at 03:56 AM.

EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by MrCarrot View Post
    I've been lifting for approximately 3 years now and been through a couple of cut and bulk cycles.

I track my calories and macros and keep a workout journal where each week I attempt to increase reps or weight.

I wouldn't say I'm "advanced" but I'm certainly not a newb.

For the past 4 weeks or so I've noticed that my lifts are going down. Usually by 1 to 2 reps. Although in some cases by as much as 4 reps.

If I get a PB in an exercise then usually all the other exercises that follow will be down 1-2 reps, so the overall workload is less than a couple of months ago.

Today was the final straw where I did legs and missed 2 reps on every single exercise and every single set.

I took some measurements and at my current weight (186 pounds) compared to the same weight around this time last year (I've cut and then bulked since then) my chest and waist is the same, my biceps and quads are half a centimetre smaller. Even if they were mis-measured last year I certainly haven't gained anything.

At first I thought it was just psychological so I carried on. Then I started eating more (currently on 3,800 calories), increased carbs, then sleeping more, and it didn't help. I've started doing a little cardio, taking a multi vitamin, had a deload week, I tried having an extra day off each week... nothing is helping.

When I workout I don't feel worn out or tired, my muscles don't even feel weak, but half way through a set they kind of feel "empty".

The only other thing I can think of is that approximately 3 months ago I stopped taking creatine. I never felt that it did anything and it was difficult to get hold of recently. I heard the effects can wear off after 4-6 weeks, but I wonder if it was actually doing something after all and it's taken 3 months to wear off? I have ordered some more, but MyProtein is showing out of stock and my order hasn't been dispatched, so I don't know if it will arrive. There is nowhere local that stocks it now.

I'm seriously thinking of throwing in the towel. I don't want to, but it's like I'm regressing, and none of the usual things are helping.

Please help!
    I had a similar experience going off creatine once. I also convinced myself it wasn’t doing anything and then changed my mind lol

Some questions:

How lean are you?

What’s your overall diet, what are you typically eating? How much protein (not mentioned in your post)?

Did your strength progress this last year until the stall and what was the routine?
    Last edited by EiFit91; 04-30-2022 at 04:06 AM.
    The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.

- Richard Feynman

MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by EiFit91 View Post
    I had a similar experience going off creatine once. I also convinced myself it wasn’t doing anything and then changed my mind lol

Some questions:

How lean are you?

What’s your overall diet, what are you typically eating? How much protein (not mentioned in your post)?

Did your strength progress this last year until the stall and what was the routine?
    Thanks for your reply.

I would estimate around 15-17% body fat. Upper abs just about visible with a fair bit of fat on the lower belly (this is a problem area for me even when really lean).

Last time I bulked to 191 and cut to 165.

My strength has consistently increased over the last 3 years with the exception of pull-ups which kind of yo-yo depending on my bodyweight at the time.

I aim for a minimum of 140g of protein but this can be as high as 200g+ depending on what I feel like eating. My diet is made up of mainly oats, eggs, chicken, rice, bread and peanut butter, but I do IIFYM so will eat pizza, burgers and tacos throughout the week in moderation. My diet hasn't changed, apart from eating more (quantity-wise) this past few weeks.

I do a push, pull, legs routine. Push twice a week, pull twice a week and legs once per week. Typically 3 compound exercises per session and a couple of isolation exercises if I have the time and energy.

My diet and routine have remained pretty much the same and I log everything, hence I can see things are getting progressively worse. If I'd stalled on the same weights then I'd just put it down to a platue or being close to potential, but in this case I seem to be regressing.

EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Thanks for your reply.

I would estimate around 15-17% body fat. Upper abs just about visible with a fair bit of fat on the lower belly (this is a problem area for me even when really lean).

Last time I bulked to 191 and cut to 165.

My strength has consistently increased over the last 3 years with the exception of pull-ups which kind of yo-yo depending on my bodyweight at the time.

I aim for a minimum of 140g of protein but this can be as high as 200g+ depending on what I feel like eating. My diet is made up of mainly oats, eggs, chicken, rice, bread and peanut butter, but I do IIFYM so will eat pizza, burgers and tacos throughout the week in moderation. My diet hasn't changed, apart from eating more (quantity-wise) this past few weeks.

I do a push, pull, legs routine. Push twice a week, pull twice a week and legs once per week. Typically 3 compound exercises per session and a couple of isolation exercises if I have the time and energy.

My diet and routine have remained pretty much the same and I log everything, hence I can see things are getting progressively worse. If I'd stalled on the same weights then I'd just put it down to a platue or being close to potential, but in this case I seem to be regressing.
    Everything seems fine diet wise.

My advice would be to get on creatine again and try a 4 day upper/lower split where you hit upper and lower body with the same frequency.
    The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.

- Richard Feynman

Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    May want to consider changing up your workout program in a big way for 4 weeks. For example, you can shift to power-based exercises that don't require too much technique work (push presses, high pulls, jump squats), do higher-rep push-ups/pull-ups density-training sets (ie, aim for X reps in Y time frame), etc. May re-sensitize your body to your more typical lifting and help provide some motivation as you'll get some noob gains. You won't lose any size/strength by doing this.
    My 100% free website: healthierwithscience.com
    My YouTube channel: youtube.com/@benjaminlevinsonmd17

Omni is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Omni is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Omni is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Omni is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Omni is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Omni is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Omni is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Omni is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Omni is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Omni is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Omni is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    How has your libido/motivation/daily energy been? I wouldn't rule out checking your testosterone given that you are 41.

My pronouns are bro/brah Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    When I was using creatine and would forget to take it before hitting the gym my lifts were way off
    Last edited by Tommy W.; 04-30-2022 at 08:42 AM.
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    When you get your creatine, start taking it. At the same time, take a week or two off from lifting. Just take a break. It happens. You have some off times. But they pass.
    2 time survivor of The Great Misc Outages of 2022

Survivor of PHP/API Outage of Feb 2023

AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I have to ask... is this really accurate?

Your join date is in 2008..
    "When I die, I hope it's early in the morning so I don't have to go to work that day for no reason"

desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by AdamWW View Post

Its crazy that 2008 was 3 years ago. Covid makes it all a blur.

coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I suggest a different type of break. This has kept me training for over 40 years.

Set aside the log book, workout vs train. In other words, use a pyramid and reverse pyramid approach doing sets to failure. Don’t count sets or reps, just train for a great workout. Might take you 100-150 reps with three movements and a variety of rep ranges and varying weights. This is always refreshing to me.

Train hard and long enough to get the job done. Go purely by feel and your own body’s feedback.

Also, eat in a slight surplus and refeed your body with red meat and eggs. Have fun.
    "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. "By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."

Old Guy deadlifting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zMrim-0Dks
    bench press https://youtu.be/GaRzfueJVJQ

Every workout is GAME DAY!

Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

My join date is 2007
    My training log: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=178464441

AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by coachcalande View Post
    I suggest a different type of break. This has kept me training for over 40 years.

Set aside the log book, workout vs train. In other words, use a pyramid and reverse pyramid approach doing sets to failure. Don’t count sets or reps, just train for a great workout. Might take you 100-150 reps with three movements and a variety of rep ranges and varying weights. This is always refreshing to me.

Train hard and long enough to get the job done. Go purely by feel and your own body’s feedback.

Also, eat in a slight surplus and refeed your body with red meat and eggs. Have fun.
    I agree that removing certain training parameters can help relieve the stress of hitting targets...

But I don't see that as a long term solution really.

Also... what do red meat and eggs have to do with gym motivation whatsoever?
    "When I die, I hope it's early in the morning so I don't have to go to work that day for no reason"

Thanks all for your replies. I managed to get some creatine today, at 4 times the usual cost, but hopefully it will be worth it. I will report back in a few weeks and let you know! Replies below:

Originally Posted by EiFit91 View Post
    Everything seems fine diet wise.

My advice would be to get on creatine again and try a 4 day upper/lower split where you hit upper and lower body with the same frequency.
    Thanks, I'm pretty sure my diet is fine and hasn't really changed recently. I have a knee injury which I use as a bit of an excuse to only train legs once a week. I found twice a week and it wasn't recovering fully and becoming aggravated. Until recently though I've been happy with my progress.

Originally Posted by Heisman2 View Post
    May want to consider changing up your workout program in a big way for 4 weeks. For example, you can shift to power-based exercises that don't require too much technique work (push presses, high pulls, jump squats), do higher-rep push-ups/pull-ups density-training sets (ie, aim for X reps in Y time frame), etc. May re-sensitize your body to your more typical lifting and help provide some motivation as you'll get some noob gains. You won't lose any size/strength by doing this.
    I suggest a different type of break. This has kept me training for over 40 years. Set aside the log book, workout vs train. In other words, use a pyramid and reverse pyramid approach doing sets to failure. Don’t count sets or reps, just train for a great workout. Might take you 100-150 reps with three movements and a variety of rep ranges and varying weights. This is always refreshing to me.
    I had thought about this. I also tried a week of lighter weights and higher reps, but I'm worried the lighter weights will become a pattern or an excuse to do less (ideally I want the weight to be going up, or at least staying the same).

Originally Posted by Omni View Post
    How has your libido/motivation/daily energy been? I wouldn't rule out checking your testosterone given that you are 41.
    It's been fine overall. Take my leg workout today. Normally my legs would be jelly by the end. Today, I felt like I could do my workout all over again. However, once I get under the bar and get to the 4th rep, I cannot imagine how I managed to do 8 reps a couple of weeks ago. It's like the power has gone from my muscles, but my overall energy is okay. Motivation is suffering but that's because all of my numbers are going down rather than up or staying the same.

Unfortunately seeing a doctor in the UK is not particularly easy. If I went and told him I can't get a boner he might check my test levels, but if I went and told him I missed 4 reps on my front squat, he would probably congratulate me on having nothing else to worry about and laugh me out of his office.

Originally Posted by Tommy W. View Post
    When I was using creatine and would forget to take it before hitting the gym my lifts were way off
    Sometimes I would run out and stop taking it for a week or two, and not notice any difference at all. This was another reason I didn't believe it was doing anything. The only reason I kept taking it was because it was dirt cheap. But now I am wondering whether it can actually take a long time to wear off.

I have to ask... is this really accurate? Your join date is in 2008..
    I lifted in my late teens (before the Internet and smart phones existed) and also in my late twenties, which is when my join date would have been. I had a ten year break when I met my wife and had kids, and then started again in my late thirties.
    Last edited by MrCarrot; 04-30-2022 at 10:21 AM.

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If it helps to look at it from a diff perspective, it sounds like you're in your 40s, have a wife & kids, are in pretty good shape, and the same weight and look as last year.

If you're losing a couple reps in some exercises & only think your muscles might be a bit smaller because you took some measurements, throwing in the towel to lose all your gains rather than mostly maintaining seems a bit drastic.

Keep working at it, gains are what they are. If you're not turning into a dad bod, you're ahead of the game in my book.

Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    If it helps to look at it from a diff perspective, it sounds like you're in your 40s, have a wife & kids, are in pretty good shape, and the same weight and look as last year.

If you're losing a couple reps in some exercises & only think your muscles might be a bit smaller because you took some measurements, throwing in the towel to lose all your gains rather than mostly maintaining seems a bit drastic.

Keep working at it, gains are what they are. If you're not turning into a dad bod, you're ahead of the game in my book.
    This. Also, I'm younger but I've also had major stalls before where I got burnt out & wasn't progressing. I tried changing up my routine like Heisman suggested to great effect. You might be surprised how much your lifts improve after focusing on higher reps with bodyweight or different weights for a month or 2. It's not "taking it easy" if you push yourself. Going to failure on pull-ups or push-ups actually hurts a hell of a lot worse than maxing out bench, and I've changed my training in such a way to great effect on my lifts overall.

You should also really get your test checked, OP. Srs.

Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post

Yes of course you are right. I posted out of frustration but thanks for the perspective. It's not like I've been spinning my wheels for months.

Originally Posted by Strawng View Post
    This. Also, I'm younger but I've also had major stalls before where I got burnt out & wasn't progressing. I tried changing up my routine like Heisman suggested to great effect. You might be surprised how much your lifts improve after focusing on higher reps with bodyweight or different weights for a month or 2. It's not "taking it easy" if you push yourself. Going to failure on pull-ups or push-ups actually hurts a hell of a lot worse than maxing out bench, and I've changed my training in such a way to great effect on my lifts overall.
    I'm going to think about this. The last time I switched to bodyweight only stuff was during lockdown and I definitely lost size and strength, and hated it. But that's not to say I can't go lighter with higher reps.

Originally Posted by Heisman2 View Post

I'm seriously tempted by this. I mean, I probably could get a great pump this way and even feel the doms again. It's just that I'm a creature of habit, and I worry once I stop logging my lifts I won't start again.
    Last edited by MrCarrot; 04-30-2022 at 01:22 PM.

DougyF7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DougyF7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DougyF7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DougyF7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DougyF7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DougyF7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DougyF7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DougyF7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DougyF7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DougyF7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DougyF7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I don't think it's creatine, but you could try that.

It seems like you like to have all these numbers perfectly in check - exact macros, exact number of reps. I like where coach was coming from in saying lifting by feel instead of by numbers (or maybe a little of both). Maybe do the same with food. Your body isn't some machine you can expect to operate exactly the same way day in and day out even if you do everything the same. There are stresses in your life you may not even be thinking are bothering you and that can have an effect, maybe subconsciously. Take a day off, have a beer, live your life instead of letting working out and being in shape run your life. You can do both without feeling the need to control every last minute detail.

Just my $0.02

Originally Posted by DougyF7 View Post
    I don't think it's creatine, but you could try that.

It seems like you like to have all these numbers perfectly in check - exact macros, exact number of reps. I like where coach was coming from in saying lifting by feel instead of by numbers (or maybe a little of both). Maybe do the same with food. Your body isn't some machine you can expect to operate exactly the same way day in and day out even if you do everything the same. There are stresses in your life you may not even be thinking are bothering you and that can have an effect, maybe subconsciously. Take a day off, have a beer, live your life instead of letting working out and being in shape run your life. You can do both without feeling the need to control every last minute detail.

Just my $0.02
    Yes I agree, however I have tried time off and deloading but it didn't help. I realise it's not possible to progress in a linear fashion forever, but this seems to have been a noticeable decline over a period of a few weeks now. In the past if I had a bad workout or even a bad week, things would be back to normal next time around. But now it feels different, almost like no matter what I do or try, there is no improvement.

I am also worried about it becoming a self fulfilling phrophecy but it definitely feels physical rather than mental.

However the replies here have made me realise that it should be fun, not a stress. I am starting on the creatine again tomorrow but I might well ditch the log book for a week and go with less weight and more volume, and see what happens.

Out of curiosity OP, what is your set/rep scheme usually like on compound lifts?

I found recently that I need to vary my approach in order to recover... I can't do insanely heavy 5x5 multiple times a week and get back in time for the next session.

I've actually been doing a single day of squats where I do 10x10 volume training along with accessories, and then my second leg day I do 3 sets of 5, then 2 sets of 10...

It's weird but, having that varied approach is actually helping me a LOT...

Originally Posted by Strawng View Post

You should also really get your test checked, OP. Srs.
    Sometimes when I hit a plateau, i switch to doing mainly dumbell routines for a few months. Increase on dumbells and when i switch back to barbell those have usually increased from where they were.

Out of curiosity OP, what is your set/rep scheme usually like on compound lifts?

I found recently that I need to vary my approach in order to recover... I can't do insanely heavy 5x5 multiple times a week and get back in time for the next session.

I've actually been doing a single day of squats where I do 10x10 volume training along with accessories, and then my second leg day I do 3 sets of 5, then 2 sets of 10...

On compounds I typically go for 3 sets consisting of 10, 8 and 6 reps. Depends on the exercise though, for example with rows I'll often go with 12, 10 and 8. I usually have a few reps left in the tank on the first set but go to failure on the 2nd and 3rd set.

Originally Posted by desslok View Post
    Sometimes when I hit a plateau, i switch to doing mainly dumbell routines for a few months. Increase on dumbells and when i switch back to barbell those have usually increased from where they were.
    I do the same thing but with machines. I'll do incline barbell press for 3-6 months, then when I plateau I'll switch to incline chest presses on a machine for 3-6 months. It's always worked well in the past and I usually find I'm suddenly stronger in the exercise that I've just switched to, compared to some months prior. But again, at the moment this doesn't seem to have helped this time around.

Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Respect Brother! I'm about 2 years and 4 months in, and I noticed my gains are slowing considerably. As a result I alter my training by moving most muscle groups to maintenance volume / frequency, and bring certain muscle groups to increased frequency and volume. I recognize it's just going to be a grind from here on out. This is a nice resource for volume and frequency landmarks for different muscle groups I use if I want to put a certain muscle group into maintenance or overdrive.

https://rpstrength.com/hypertrophy-t...e-central-hub/

The only other thing I can think of is that approximately 3 months ago I stopped taking creatine.
    It takes a while for creatine to get flushed out, but it has a noticeable effect on training. I think the increased DHT is mainly responsible for this, not necessarily the water saturation, but I don't really know. I take creatine breaks throughout the year for a few months at a time and accept the loss in strength.

Please help!
    If you want to quit, I hope it's because you've found something else that brings you more joy. But it doesn't sound like it. It sounds like you're angry. I would use that anger in your training to metaphorically fight your spiritual self-doubt.

The only other advice I can think of is to download the free cronometer application on your phone and make sure your micro nutrient goals are being achieved. It should be relatively easy since you already log your food.

https://cronometer.com/

Fight the good fight brother!
    ► Intermediate Bodybuilding Classic Physique ► Renaissance Periodization Programming
    ► https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=180349883
    ► Progress Pictures
    ► https://i.ibb.co/r6RKF4p/Progress-Pictures.png

xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

This is similar to the approach I take to my workout these days. I can sustain a PPL 6 days per week when I have one higher intensity day (3 top sets of 4-6 reps with a couple backoff sets of 8-10 reps) and then a high volume day where I'll do 3-4 working sets of 8-12 reps.

OP, I will also swap out exercises if I've been doing them for too long. For instance I actually cut out barbell back squats for a few months and went to bulgarian splits squats and/or walking barbell lunges, which are just brutal but I felt like my legs actually started to respond better to them and the DOMS was insane for a while until I got used to them. So if you've been doing the same thing for a long time, maybe its time to start looking at making some changes to your programming.

I went off all supplements about 2-3 years ago but recently went back on creatine about 2 months ago. Then last week I hit a new bench press PR out of the blue at age 48. Coincidence? Maybe... Maybe just the placebo effect too, no way of knowing. I definitely look more "full" on creatine though and lately my workouts have been improving.
    All it takes is consistency, effort, proper nutrition, good programming, and TIME.

Don't be upset with the results you didn't get from the work you did not do.

Originally Posted by xsquid99 View Post
    This is similar to the approach I take to my workout these days. I can sustain a PPL 6 days per week when I have one higher intensity day (3 top sets of 4-6 reps with a couple backoff sets of 8-10 reps) and then a high volume day where I'll do 3-4 working sets of 8-12 reps.

OP, I will also swap out exercises if I've been doing them for too long. For instance I actually cut out barbell back squats for a few months and went to bulgarian splits squats and/or walking barbell lunges, which are just brutal but I felt like my legs actually started to respond better to them and the DOMS was insane for a while until I got used to them. So if you've been doing the same thing for a long time, maybe its time to start looking at making some changes to your programming.

I went off all supplements about 2-3 years ago but recently went back on creatine about 2 months ago. Then last week I hit a new bench press PR out of the blue at age 48. Coincidence? Maybe... Maybe just the placebo effect too, no way of knowing. I definitely look more "full" on creatine though and lately my workouts have been improving.
    Congrats on the PR!

Doubt it is a coincidence, IME creatine influences pressing strength the most whereas for other lifts it's more that you maybe have a rep or two extra in the tank. Of course others may have a different experience but what you wrote resonated well with my own experience lol

- Richard Feynman

EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    One thing I might add to the above, is to ask whether or not you have any psychological hold-ups going on. That can really influence your strength (especially since the title of the thread is about motivation, after all) and hide behind the more "objective" and measurable variables like diet, regimen, etc.

I would second the suggestion to change up exercise variety, at least in the short run. Also, it seems that you've given yourself quite a conclusive prognosis from one off-day, am I right? A miscellaneous off-day is bound to happen for any number of undefinable reasons. If it's a continuous streak of stalled progress or regression in spite of all the basics being on point, that might be more warranted, but randomly underperforming days do just happen, of course.
    Bench: 350
    Squat: 405
    Deadlift: 505

"... But always, there remained, the discipline of steel!"

Originally Posted by EliKoehn View Post
    Also, it seems that you've given yourself quite a conclusive prognosis from one off-day, am I right? A miscellaneous off-day is bound to happen for any number of undefinable reasons. If it's a continuous streak of stalled progress or regression in spite of all the basics being on point, that might be more warranted, but randomly underperforming days do just happen, of course.
    No this isn't one day, I would say it's been going on for maybe 6 weeks. First couple of weeks I thought it was just one of those things but then the following 4 weeks things didn't get better, in fact they got worse.

I also don't think it's mental because some lifts I've lost up to 4 reps in. One or even two reps could be mental or just a slight lapse in performance.

I am trying a few things out and will report back soon!

DougyF7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DougyF7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DougyF7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DougyF7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DougyF7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DougyF7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DougyF7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DougyF7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DougyF7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DougyF7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DougyF7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    How you making out, OP?

Hi all,

Well after making the original post I started taking creatine again. 3 days later I felt back to my old self. This was after weeks of feeling like I was going downhill.

Could a total of 15g of creatine (5g a day) really make any difference? It seems highly unlikely to me, I would have expected it to take a couple of weeks or more for levels to build back up. But I am not complaining.

Now, even when I'm a bit tired in the gym, I don't have that depleted feeling and can push through it.

Perhaps something else was going on, but I am really not sure what. I am still stalled on front squats but have since hit PR's on almost every other lift.

I ditched the logbook for a few days but since I was hitting PR's again I thought I might as well start logging again.

What I have started doing this week is something Adam suggested, which is doing one heavy push session and one lighter, higher rep push session each week, and same for pull. I think multiple heavy sessions every week is perhaps too much.

Thanks all for your encouragement and advice.

Hi all,

Well after making the original post I started taking creatine again. 3 days later I felt back to my old self. This was after weeks of feeling like I was going downhill.

Could a total of 15g of creatine (5g a day) really make any difference? It seems highly unlikely to me, I would have expected it to take a couple of weeks or more for levels to build back up. But I am not complaining.

Now, even when I'm a bit tired in the gym, I don't have that depleted feeling and can push through it.

Perhaps something else was going on, but I am really not sure what. I am still stalled on front squats but have since hit PR's on almost every other lift.

I ditched the logbook for a few days but since I was hitting PR's again I thought I might as well start logging again.

What I have started doing this week is something Adam suggested, which is doing one heavy push session and one lighter, higher rep push session each week, and same for pull. I think multiple heavy sessions every week is perhaps too much.

Thanks all for your encouragement and advice.
    Sounds good!