Nezumi8 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Angry How to bench press with a bulging disc?

Trying to bench press after a long break but my bulging disc is preventing me from lifting much. Even at low weight I start to feel it despite my back problems not being severe. Is there a way to lift without agitating it any further?

At the moment I am using a back brace and putting my feet up on the bench to flatten my back. Any other suggestions to minimize pain would be appreciated.

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Why not just do a seated chest press machine?

Nezumi8 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    Why not just do a seated chest press machine?
    I workout at home and all I got is a bar so I would prefer using that instead of paying for a gym membership. That being said, if it's my only option, I probably will eventually transition to a seated bench press machine. However, I kind of want to exhaust all my options first.

supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Nezumi8 View Post
    Trying to bench press after a long break but my bulging disc is preventing me from lifting much. Even at low weight I start to feel it despite my back problems not being severe. Is there a way to lift without agitating it any further? ...
    Yes, do dips. They're far superior to bench pressing for building the chest.

bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I have a L4/L5 bulging disc and the best remedy for it is to perform stretches daily. Once I stop my stretches the pain comes back slowly and if I stay without stretching it gets worse. However if I stay consistent with my stretching I have zero pain. Before my stretches I could no longer do squats and or deadlifts, but now I am back to squatting and deadlifting with no issues.
    On the list for Bannukah

supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by bodyhard View Post
    I have a L4/L5 bulging disc and the best remedy for it is to perform stretches daily. Once I stop my stretches the pain comes back slowly and if I stay without stretching it gets worse. However if I stay consistent with my stretching I have zero pain. Before my stretches I could no longer do squats and or deadlifts, but now I am back to squatting and deadlifting with no issues.
    There are a quintillion different stretches. Tell him what they are or demonstrate in a video.

bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by supramax View Post
    There are a quintillion different stretches. Tell him what they are or demonstrate in a video.
    LOL good point, there are so many, I posted this video sometime ago of the stretches I specifically do, I sped it up becuase it is boring as hell to watch as I hold each stretch for 7-10 seconds each.

On the list for Bannukah

TonyM78 is just really nice. (+1000) TonyM78 is just really nice. (+1000) TonyM78 is just really nice. (+1000) TonyM78 is just really nice. (+1000) TonyM78 is just really nice. (+1000) TonyM78 is just really nice. (+1000) TonyM78 is just really nice. (+1000) TonyM78 is just really nice. (+1000) TonyM78 is just really nice. (+1000) TonyM78 is just really nice. (+1000) TonyM78 is just really nice. (+1000)
    LOL good point, there are so many, I posted this video sometime ago of the stretches I specifically do, I sped it up becuase it is boring as hell to watch as I hold each stretch for 7-10 seconds each.

Hey that's awesome, man, thanks for sharing the video. I've had the same issue with Squats and Deadlifts. I used to do some of those stretches but haven't for awhile. I did start a foam rolling regimen to help lower back pain, and it has seemed to help a lot.

https://sasquatchtraining.com/blog/f...ling-back-pain

Good stuff. On behalf of Nezumi8‎, I thank you. It's sad that on a bodybuilding forum, there are so few people like yourself, that actually care about helping others.

Originally Posted by TonyM78 View Post
    Hey that's awesome, man, thanks for sharing the video. I've had the same issue with Squats and Deadlifts. I used to do some of those stretches but haven't for awhile. I did start a foam rolling regimen to help lower back pain, and it has seemed to help a lot.

https://sasquatchtraining.com/blog/f...ling-back-pain
    Thanks, foam rolling is really good to release muscle tightness but I don't think it is good for bulging disc. The disc is too deep for the foam roller to reach it and reduce swelling. The stretching bring blood and oxygen towards the disc and helps it repair itself.

Originally Posted by supramax View Post
    Good stuff. On behalf of Nezumi8‎, I thank you. It's sad that on a bodybuilding forum, there are so few people like yourself, that actually care about helping others.
    Thanks man, I always try to help where I can. I even do instructional videos on how to perform movements when someone doesn't know. Been doing that for years.
    Last edited by bodyhard; 04-26-2022 at 03:12 PM.
    On the list for Bannukah

... Thanks man, I always try to help where I can. I even do instructional videos on how to perform movements when someone doesn't know. Been doing that for years.
    When something works for me, I always put it out there, whenever I see a need.