joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

An Old Man’s Lifting Routine

My routine came about gradually through blunder and error.

First off I’m old (75) with arthritis and an inventory of injuries. My priority was don’t get hurt so I decided to stay away from the free weights and stick with the old man stationary weight machines. I was convinced the support they offered would reduce the risk of injuries.

I toyed with several split routines but decided on Full Body workouts three times a week. Just three days seemed manageable. Splits require four to six days and I figured that kind of commitment would just lead to failure. Besides, I could always change my mind later.

Further, splits are designed for banging the muscles hard and thus required longer rest/recovery times. I figured at my age I’m not going to bang anything hard enough that I’d need the extra recovery time. My new motto became bang ‘em less but bang ‘em more often.

I identified ten basic body parts I wanted to hit. Just one exercise per part and five to seven sets per exercise. To save time I decided on super setting everything in PULL/push pairs. The pull gets to rest while the push is working and vice-versa. I say pull first because I noticed that pulls seemed to warm up my aging joints for the push.

I then decided on ordering everything from “big” muscle down to “little” muscle order. The “big” muscles take more energy so it seemed reasonable to do them first … while I had the energy. The big muscles also burn more calories while at rest so I wanted to make sure I emphasized them. Further, they used to say (and I don’t know if that story has stood the test of time), that the big muscles kick up the testosterone.

Ten exercises, ten body parts.

Super Sets:
    • Hamstrings / Quadriceps (Seated Leg Curls / Seated Leg Extensions)
    • Upper Back / Chest (Seated Back Row / Seated Chest Press)
    • Trapezoids / Shoulders (Trap Pulls / Seated Shoulder Press)
    • Biceps / Triceps (Seated Bicep Curls / Seated Triceps Extensions)
    • Abdominals / Lower Back (Ab crunch machine / Back Raise)

The first set is 20 to 25 repetitions. I know, it sounds crazy, but I’m old. It’s my way of checking things out. If the light weight / high rep hurts I know to skip that part for the day.
    • Second set is 15-ish (with more weight).
    • Third set is 10-ish (with more weight).
    • Then a few more sets at 10-ish (or 5-ish with more weight).

So that’s ten exercises times about six sets each equals about 60 sets total. Takes about an hour and a half total.

Now I’m a small boned ectomorph. (I know, we don’t believe in those classifications but it’s a good description.) Thin arms and legs are a family trait so some days I’ll augment arms and legs with a second set of exercises. Like for arms I’ll add a few sets of pull ups and dips. Or for legs a few sets of seated leg presses and calf raises.

I have alternative machines for nearly everything so if something’s busy I have a backup. Sometimes I hit the backup machines just for a change. Hell, I even have a backup gym just for a change.

Super sets really make the time pass quickly. Added benefit, about 15 minutes in I start catching a buzz, a euphoria sometimes known as “Runner’s High” which lasts a few hours into the day.
    Last edited by joewattie; 03-28-2024 at 04:27 PM.
    joe Henry

supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Whatever it is you're experiencing, it's not 'runners high'. I don't like your routine, at all, but it's a lot better than doing nothing. I recommend learning how to squat and deadlift properly as well as learning the snatch from the hang. Use light weights and explode. It does an old body good.

Check out Feldengrais for stretching hints and the Original Strength site for how to properly do the Spiderman Crawl. That last one forwards and backwards will turn you into Superman.

Crawling back under rock OldFartTom's Avatar
    OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    All of this is a total guess and assumption because you didn't explain your goals clearly. Plus as long as you are enjoying it and keeping active then you can tell me to go shove my opinions

*IF* you are getting a runner's high then IMHO your weights are going too fast and you might get more weights benefit from having rests between sets and less of the super/giant sets.

Then to make up for the lack of cardio by doing weights with more recovery, add some fast walking/swimming/jogging/team sports or whatever to your life, pick something you enjoy

joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Thank you for your reply. I appreciate it, I really do.

Originally Posted by supramax View Post
    Whatever it is you're experiencing, it's not 'runners high'. I don't like your routine, at all, but it's a lot better than doing nothing. I recommend learning how to squat and deadlift properly as well as learning the snatch from the hang. Use light weights and explode. It does an old body good.
    I used to lift a little in my early thirties so that's like 40, 45 years ago. I loved the Olympic Style lifts, an excellent balance of strength, speed and athleticism. My favorite was a one armed snatch with an Olympic bar. I also loved Power Lifting. My dead lift was just a few pounds short of 4X body weight. I was actually getting ready to compete in a couple of local competitions but I got hit by a car and everything changed overnight.

Over the years I tried training several times just to train and went with what I knew - free weights. And, within a coupla months, I'd always reinjure something. Last year I decided to try again but it was time to do something different thus ... the old man stationary weight machines. So far so good, no injuries.

Check out Feldengrais for stretching hints and the Original Strength site for how to properly do the Spiderman Crawl. That last one forwards and backwards will turn you into Superman.
    And something else I can't do. My right arm is shot. I can't even do one push up, or a plank, because of it.

We all age differently. I'm not the only old geezer at the gyms I go to. There are a couple guys who could put your suggestions to work but many have moved on to the old man stationary machines for reasons similar to mine. Like you said, "... better than doing nothing". How I wish things were different :-(
    Last edited by joewattie; 04-21-2022 at 03:32 PM.
    joe Henry

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by joewattie View Post

I used to lift a little in my early thirties so that's like 40, 45 years ago. I loved the Olympic Style lifts, an excellent balance of strength, speed and athleticism. My favorite was a one armed snatch with an Olympic bar. I also loved Power Lifting. My dead lift was just a few pounds short of 4X body weight. I was actually getting ready to compete in a couple of local competitions but I got hit by a car and everything changed overnight.

Over the years I tried training several times just to train and went with what I knew - free weights. And, within a coupla months, I'd always reinjure something. Last year I decided to try again but it was time to do something different thus ... the old man stationary weight machines. So far so good, no injuries.

And something else I can't do. My right arm is shot. I can't even do one push up, or a plank, because of it.

We all age differently. I'm not the only old geezer at the gyms I go to. There are a couple guys who could put your suggestions to work but many of us have moved on to the old man stationary machines for reasons similar to mine. Like you said, "... better than doing nothing". How I wish things were different :-(
    Dude, you're 75. You don't have to hit the weights hard if it's not your thing. Eat sensibly, stay active, and enjoy life. Live long and prosper!

supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

We all age differently. I'm not the only old geezer at the gyms I go to. There are a couple guys who could put your suggestions to work but many of us have moved on to the old man stationary machines for reasons similar to mine. Like you said, "... better than doing nothing". How I wish things were different :-(
    I feel for you. I truly do. I know that getting hit by a car can really **** you up. Been there. I can only recall one instance of getting hurt from weightlifting, though. All my other injuries came from doing heavy movements, usually forest related, while not paying attention to technique. I won't bore you with the details, but I've gone years and years without being able to lift my arms higher than parallel to the ground. I tell you true, doing the movements that we did when we were babies: crawling and squatting from the crawl and standing up from the squat rather than squatting down; doing the movements we did when we were babies... will heal you. Start small and slow. Baby steps.

Originally Posted by OldFartTom View Post
    All of this is a total guess and assumption because you didn't explain your goals clearly. Plus as long as you are enjoying it and keeping active then you can tell me to go shove my opinions

*IF* you are getting a runner's high then IMHO your weights are going too fast and you might get more weights benefit from having rests between sets and less of the super/giant sets.

Then to make up for the lack of cardio by doing weights with more recovery, add some fast walking/swimming/jogging/team sports or whatever to your life, pick something you enjoy
    Quite the contrary. I appreciate your suggestions and opinions. Background? Last year I was having trouble going up and down stairs. Last year I'd put a toothbrush in my right hand and then I'd take my left hand and use it to raise my right hand to my mouth so I could brush my teeth.

When I started at the gym I simply built a circuit of ten machines and did one set on each machine. Weight was low and rep count was crazy high. As I progressed to heavier weights and a more reasonable rep count of ten it hurt. If I did the stupid high rep count first then the heavier weights were just fine. So that's what got me started with multiple sets and time constraints led me to the super sets with agonistic pairs.

The "runners' high" or whatever it is is kinda fun. But you are right, if I took a little more rest I could do more. Sometimes as I'm moving between stations someone will stop me to say, "Hi". Just that little extra pause lets me pound out a couple more reps.

Cardio. The past year has been good to me and now that I can do more I plan on doing more. Walks. Cut my own grass.

Thanks again for taking the time.
    joe Henry

I feel for you. I truly do. I know that getting hit by a car can really **** you up. Been there. I can only recall one instance of getting hurt from weightlifting, though. All my other injuries came from doing heavy movements, usually forest related, while not paying attention to technique. I won't bore you with the details, but I've gone years and years without being able to lift my arms higher than parallel to the ground. I tell you true, doing the movements that we did when we were babies: crawling and squatting from the crawl and standing up from the squat rather than squatting down; doing the movements we did when we were babies... will heal you. Start small and slow. Baby steps.
    And I am equally sorry to hear about your setbacks. And I agree with you, "Start small and slow. Baby steps". I just started with different baby steps (actually, some of them were similar).

One of my baby steps was on the seated shoulder press machine. I'd take my left hand and use it to pick up my right and place it on the right handle. Then I'd use my left arm to push the plates up while the right arm went along for the free ride. Overtime the right arm started participating a little, e.g., I could actually lift a little more with both arms than I could with just my left.
    joe Henry

LFreemanBB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LFreemanBB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LFreemanBB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LFreemanBB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LFreemanBB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LFreemanBB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LFreemanBB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LFreemanBB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LFreemanBB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LFreemanBB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LFreemanBB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I think full body workouts 3 times a week for a senior age is excellent, good enough exercise selection and correct order to be doing them in.
    Insta - luke.freemanbb

And I am equally sorry to hear about your setbacks. And I agree with you, "Start small and slow. Baby steps". I just started with different baby steps (actually, some of them were similar).

One of my baby steps was on the seated shoulder press machine. I'd take my left hand and use it to pick up my right and place it on the right handle. Then I'd use my left arm to push the plates up while the right arm went along for the free ride. Overtime the right arm started participating a little, e.g., I could actually lift a little more with both arms than I could with just my left.
    Smart way to involve. The best thing I've ever come across for shoulder health and rehab is this:
    https://www.t-nation.com/training/on...oulder-health/
    I use a 5 band chest expander starting with 2 bands and ending with all five for my modified routine.

Don't forget about flexibilty (sideways, forwards and backwards and twisting) and mobility work (Asian squats and crawling).

BDuro is on a distinguished road. (+10)

My routine came about gradually through blunder and error.

First off I’m old (75) with arthritis and an inventory of injuries. My priority was don’t get hurt so I decided to stay away from the free weights and stick with the old man stationary weight machines. I was convinced the support they offered would reduce the risk of injuries.

Now I’m a small boned ectomorph. (I know, we don’t believe in those classifications but it’s a good description.) Thin arms and legs are a family trait so some days I’ll augment arms and legs with a second set of exercises.
    FYI - ecto-, endo-, mesomorph ****totype classifications are still used in scientific literature, so don't worry about what "bros" think about it. It's actually a useful classification.

It’s almost a year later since I opened this thread. I’m still here, I’m still at it and I’m still making gains, modest gains but hey, I am an old man after all.

Some days are absolutely euphoric, so much so that I’ve been tempted to switch from from Full Body 3 times a week to some kind of 5 day Split. But, most days, I’m happy I stuck with a simple 3 day full body. I’m just too old to get too crazy.

And I’m happy I stuck with the “old man” stationary machines. No injuries … yet.

Routine remains pretty much unchanged. Added leg presses to my routine. And, in a scary break from “all machines”, I’ve added Dead Lifts. But with a Hex bar. Safer, less risky. Instead of leaning over to grab an Olympic bar from the front I can stand in the center of the bar and mostly squat down and up. So much easier on my ancient back. And on my “Rice Krispy” knees. With the slightly raised handles I don’t have to go quite as low.

I hope I’m not making the “wrong mistake” but it’s been thrilling to get away from the machines for at least one lift.

And, like I say, the gains are modest but they’ve been steady. In the finance world it’s been like a “Bull Market” (if anyone remembers the days when the markets actually went up in value) and, consistent with a bull market, there are hiccups along the way but the trend is ever upwards. And because I do virtually all body parts it’s like a diversified portfolio, when one lift stalls another seems to pick up thus balancing the portfolio and keeping my interest up : -)

At my age I do realize I will hit a plateau and then enter a bear market where everything begins declining. Nothing much I can do but accept it and try to slow the decline as best I can. With any luck that’s still a couple of years off.
    joe Henry

startingat56 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) startingat56 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) startingat56 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) startingat56 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) startingat56 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) startingat56 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) startingat56 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) startingat56 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) startingat56 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) startingat56 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) startingat56 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

The first set is 20 to 25 repetitions. I know, it sounds crazy, but I’m old. It’s my way of checking things out. If the light weight / high rep hurts I know to skip that part for the day.
    I hear you on this

I have a leg sled and I do 5 sets of 20 reps body weight as a pre warm up to start leg day. This is my diagnostic. If everything feels good, I may do less than 5 sets. If things don't feel right, I may alter to more reps lower weights .... but .... normally if I put off legs to the next day, I have no issues and can use my normal weight / reps / sets

note: I have a very physical job so usually on weekdays I need little warm up, but weekends I need extra warm up

carry on
    I don't necessarily agree with everything I say.
    (Marshall McLuhan)

Originally Posted by startingat56 View Post
    I hear you on this

I have a leg sled and I do 5 sets of 20 reps body weight as a pre warm up to start leg day. This is my diagnostic. If everything feels good, I may do less than 5 sets. If things don't feel right, I may alter to more reps lower weights .... but .... normally if I put off legs to the next day, I have no issues and can use my normal weight / reps / sets

note: I have a very physical job so usually on weekdays I need little warm up, but weekends I need extra warm up

carry on
    Well said! Exactly what I was trying to say. To paraphrase Olivia Newton-John, "Listen to your body talk ..." Thank you for your reply and your confirmation ...
    joe Henry

paulwatkins is not very well liked. (-100) paulwatkins is not very well liked. (-100) paulwatkins is not very well liked. (-100) paulwatkins is not very well liked. (-100) paulwatkins is not very well liked. (-100) paulwatkins is not very well liked. (-100) paulwatkins is not very well liked. (-100) paulwatkins is not very well liked. (-100) paulwatkins is not very well liked. (-100) paulwatkins is not very well liked. (-100) paulwatkins is not very well liked. (-100)
    Great post. i really like this post

paulwatkins is not very well liked. (-100) paulwatkins is not very well liked. (-100) paulwatkins is not very well liked. (-100) paulwatkins is not very well liked. (-100) paulwatkins is not very well liked. (-100) paulwatkins is not very well liked. (-100) paulwatkins is not very well liked. (-100) paulwatkins is not very well liked. (-100) paulwatkins is not very well liked. (-100) paulwatkins is not very well liked. (-100) paulwatkins is not very well liked. (-100)
    Great post. i really like this post

Well, it's been another year since my last update to this thread and I'm happy to report that I'm still going to the gym and still working out.

Sadly gyms seem to come and go and I find myself trying to adapt to new surroundings and varying versions of stationary weight machines. Like on the seated leg extension machine I can do a whole stack (245 lbs.) at one gym and only a half stack (120 lbs.) at another gym. Or leg presses; depending on the machine my lifts vary from 250 to 495 to 515 to 617.5 lbs. (I like the last machine best :-)

I am "asymmetric". As one arm is "normal" and the other is irreparable such that seated chest and shoulder press machines can be problematic.

The ones where both handles are connected by a single cable to a stack of plates are OK. Me good arm does most of the work and me bad arm helps with the load as best as it can.

The "better" machines have two handles each connected with a separate cable to a single stack of plates. The goal is admirable; to make each side work equally hard, no free rides. It's a big fail for me as the well intentioned machine begins to shake as the good side begins to shift a fair but unmanageable load to the weak side.

Another type of machine has two handles and you load a set of Olympic style plates over each handle. So I might put 2 plates on one side and only 1 plate on the other. Then I get in position, close my eyes and lift. It may look or sound strange but it feels completely in balance and uh normal. This is my favorite type of machine (as I can see how each side is progressing).

I do fear my genuine make-believe (I say such because I use a hex bar rather than an Olympic bar) deadlifts are going backwards; partly because of age but also because I no longer have ready access to hex bars. Instead of a couple times a week I'm down to only once or twice a month. And, even when I do get access to a hex bar it's coupled with those bulky bumper plates such that the most weight I can squeeze on is 275 lbs. But hey, maybe it's for the best, maybe it's just nature telling me, "Don't be gettin' stupid old man!"

During this flurry of change I found myself trying out a Planet Fitness or two and, I gotta admit - they were a most pleasant surprise! (as long as I don't go shaving in the ladies room :-)
    Last edited by joewattie; 03-25-2024 at 05:17 PM.
    joe Henry

LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    It’s awesome you are still training Joe.

I read a little bit from years ago.

Couple things:

I myself have learned a lot as I get older and many of my ideas have changed. I don’t know where Supramax has been but him saying he does not like your program but tells a 75 year old to learn or do Olympic lifts from the hang is just the wrong direction. I’m a big fan of those lifts and I would have told you something similar in my 20-30s oh man they are revolutionary bluh bluh bluh. Now if you like them, fine.
    But for someone at 75..........eh, there’s much better options, like trapbar deads.

If anything overhead squats would build shoulder stability and hip knee flexibility but no need for doing them at the hang, very technical.

Also I’m a big believer that being older means more work, it’s gonna take more work to build protection around the arthritis, joint pains etc. So I’m big on older folks training every single day, not a few days a week.

Hypertrpohy is very important to combat bone loss etc etc.

You may know all this. Just my thoughts.
    Authentic Knights Swing Heavy Steel and Have Hands and Wrists of Steel!

Anti-Traditional Programs, Student of Instinct Training

"The Muscle Feeds Itself"- LWW

Originally Posted by LWW View Post
    It’s awesome you are still training Joe.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Also I’m a big believer that being older means more work, it’s gonna take more work to build protection around the arthritis, joint pains etc. So I’m big on older folks training every single day, not a few days a week.

Hypertrpohy is very important to combat bone loss etc etc.
    Thank you for kind reply.

"Also I’m a big believer that being older means more work,"

On the flip side, at my age, Less work seems like more work :-) For me, a workout runs about an hour and a half (about 50 sets of stuff), so, truly, I'm pretty beat after a workout. I do need the day off for recovery. But that doesn't mean I just sit on the couch all day. I have a wife, kids, grandkids, great grandkids, a house, yard, laundry all conspiring to keep me busy :-)
    joe Henry

LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Thank you for kind reply.

"Also I’m a big believer that being older means more work,"

On the flip side, at my age, Less work seems like more work :-) For me, a workout runs about an hour and a half (about 50 sets of stuff), so, truly, I'm pretty beat after a workout. I do need the day off for recovery. But that doesn't mean I just sit on the couch all day. I have a wife, kids, grandkids, great grandkids, a house, yard, laundry all conspiring to keep me busy :-)

Busy isn’t training though, however you can turn those things into training, like an example is doing walking lunges while gardening.

More work didn’t really mean marathon workouts, it just means train everyday. This might mean one day you train for an hour and a half, the next day maybe only a 1/2 hour, or even 1-intense 2 minute set (this is called using your warmup as a full workout), of course make sure you are warmed up. Then there are days for just doing all kinds of different stretches and stuff.

If I working around a pain, I usually “train” the that area with the pain MORE, that’s kinda what I meant.

I can give another example that I did just now. So I thought I was having a shoulder issue in my right shoulder but it’s not the shoulder, it’s tendinitis. I can tell this because my shoulder rotation is strong and no an issues, it’s when I turn the wrist the pain is there, so no matter how I turn my shoulder in some cases such as doing handcuffs behind the back, my wrist is the cause of pain.

I’ve been doing prison style pushups daily and progressing to get a juicy should pec build and just now before the pushups I held a book in each hand palms up and did high shoulder raises, with books you stack more books in the palm up position too!!!
    Last edited by LWW; 03-27-2024 at 11:28 AM.
    Authentic Knights Swing Heavy Steel and Have Hands and Wrists of Steel!

Anti-Traditional Programs, Student of Instinct Training

"The Muscle Feeds Itself"- LWW

mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Well, it's been another year since my last update to this thread and I'm happy to report that I'm still going to the gym and still working out.

Sadly gyms seem to come and go and I find myself trying to adapt to new surroundings and varying versions of stationary weight machines. Like on the seated leg extension machine I can do a whole stack (245 lbs.) at one gym and only a half stack (120 lbs.) at another gym. Or leg presses; depending on the machine my lifts vary from 250 to 495 to 515 to 617.5 lbs. (I like the last machine best :-)

I am "asymmetric". As one arm is "normal" and the other is irreparable such that seated chest and shoulder press machines can be problematic.

The ones where both handles are connected by a single cable to a stack of plates are OK. Me good arm does most of the work and me bad arm helps with the load as best as it can.

The "better" machines have two handles each connected with a separate cable to a single stack of plates. The goal is admirable; to make each side work equally hard, no free rides. It's a big fail for me as the well intentioned machine begins to shake as the good side begins to shift a fair but unmanageable load to the weak side.

Another type of machine has two handles and you load a set of Olympic style plates over each handle. So I might put 2 plates on one side and only 1 plate on the other. Then I get in position, close my eyes and lift. It may look or sound strange but it feels completely in balance and uh normal. This is my favorite type of machine (as I can see how each side is progressing).

I do fear my genuine make-believe (I say such because I use a hex bar rather than an Olympic bar) deadlifts are going backwards; partly because of age but also because I no longer have ready access to hex bars. Instead of a couple times a week I'm down to only once or twice a month. And, even when I do get access to a hex bar it's coupled with those bulky bumper plates such that the most weight I can squeeze on is 275 lbs. But hey, maybe it's for the best, maybe it's just nature telling me, "Don't be gettin' stupid old man!"

During this flurry of change I found myself trying out a Planet Fitness or two and, I gotta admit - they were a most pleasant surprise! (as long as I don't go shaving in the ladies room :-)

Joe you are doing great imo and there is nothing wrong with planet fitness or using machines at some point most of us longtimers will gravitate to them more and more as we age.

You know your body better than anyone else, listen to it. You don’t need to be lifting everyday, that can be counterproductive and expose someone to unnecessary injury.

Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    Dude, you're 75. You don't have to hit the weights hard if it's not your thing. Eat sensibly, stay active, and enjoy life. Live long and prosper!
    ^^^^^^
    This is a solid post. Lift when you feel like it (listen to your body) eat healthy and stay active. Fun activities that get someone cardio are better for longevity than just spending hours in the gym.

At my previous gym there were 2 gentlemen in their early 80’s that would come in a couple of times a week to do strength training. They had been friends for decades and were gym rats in their younger years, one a competitive powerlifter and the other a bodybuilder.

They enjoyed cross country skiing, hiking, fishing, badminton and tai chi and probably more activities that I don’t know of. They were in excellent shape and always had a smile on. They were in the gym the same times as me, usually between 5 and 6 am so I got to know them pretty well.

I still see them occasionally on the lake or at the golf course because I train at home now. They seem to be doing great and enjoying life.

Keep on Keepin on Joe, I enjoy the candor in your posts and I think your entries will be an inspiration to others for years to come. We are all getting older and posts like yours are more than welcome in the old farts club..
    Air Force Veteran 1976 - 1999 - Cannabis Enthusiast since the 1960's

Retired at 40 Crew - Social distancing expert - Living the Dream

I use the gender neutral pronouns "Fukker/Fukkers" a lot.

****** I don't always agree with the memes I post ******

I tell it like it is, if you want smoke blown up your ass or something sugar coated. I suggest you get a Hooker and a powdered donut.