Jjmorris90 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Newbie. Advice please?

I'm a 31 year old male. Currently weigh around 88kg 6ft 1. I have been dieting to lose weight and get a flat stomach but realised that isn't what I want. Iwant to get bigger but don't know how to start.

Every thing I've read says eat more. At present i eat 1500 a day. My concern is that if i start eating more
    just get fat?

In terms of equipment I have a treadmill and multi gym, weight bench and 100kg in mixed weights.

My body fat is around 22%

Any advice is appreciated

based on actual events jtaylor2010's Avatar
    jtaylor2010 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jtaylor2010 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jtaylor2010 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jtaylor2010 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jtaylor2010 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jtaylor2010 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jtaylor2010 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jtaylor2010 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jtaylor2010 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jtaylor2010 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jtaylor2010 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Do you have dumbbells or a barbell? If dumbbells then just find something like this:

https://fitnessdrum.com/12-week-dumb...kout-plan-pdf/

And stick with it for the duration of the program. And yes you’ll probably need to eat more than 1,500 calories when you start. If your lifts aren’t going up each week(especially as a beginner) then you probably need to eat more. Ideally you would track your diet along with workouts to find out the minimal amount you can eat while continuing to increase weight on your lifts. But don’t get super concerned about the tiny details, just make sure you stick with it and are learning proper form for all of your lifts. Then after you complete the 12 weeks re-evaluate and see where you are as well as where you want to go next. Also, it isn’t listed in the program, but if you can get a good pull-up bar do it. For one, that program is missing a good lat exercise(which is understandable due to lack of equipment), but also because it is just a great exercise. Even with a full gym I still do pull-ups on every back day.
    +positive crew+
    -we all gonna make it, but what it is is up to you crew
    -all things in moderation, even political views crew
    -support local farms crew
    -try to do at least one good deed/day crew
    -less cursing the darkness and more lighting candles crew

[QUOTE=jtaylor2010;1664232493]

Thanks for the reply. Il give it a go. I have read that I need to eat more protein just unsure how much and what foods.

xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Jjmorris90 View Post
    I'm a 31 year old male. Currently weigh around 88kg 6ft 1. I have been dieting to lose weight and get a flat stomach but realised that isn't what I want. Iwant to get bigger but don't know how to start.

Every thing I've read says eat more. At present i eat 1500 a day. My concern is that if i start eating more
    just get fat?

In terms of equipment I have a treadmill and multi gym, weight bench and 100kg in mixed weights.

My body fat is around 22%

Any advice is appreciated
    At 1500 calories you would be losing probably about 2 pounds a week, is that your current rate of loss???

At 22% bodyfat you do not need to be in a big calorie surplus to put on muscle, you have plenty of fat on you to fuel gains and you should be able to progress in the gym and get stronger just eating at your maintenance level, which is probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 2500 calories, give or take a couple hundred either way.
    All it takes is consistency, effort, proper nutrition, good programming, and TIME.

Don't be upset with the results you didn't get from the work you did not do.

Originally Posted by xsquid99 View Post
    At 1500 calories you would be losing probably about 2 pounds a week, is that your current rate of loss???

At 22% bodyfat you do not need to be in a big calorie surplus to put on muscle, you have plenty of fat on you to fuel gains and you should be able to progress in the gym and get stronger just eating at your maintenance level, which is probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 2500 calories, give or take a couple hundred either way.

Yeh I was losing around 2 lbs a week but stopped with that diet around 2 weeks ago.

Great il bump up to 2500. I'm just nervous about getting fat really. Also how much protein should I eat for my body weight? Thanks

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    You might find it pretty hard to look muscular at that weight because the fat masks the definition. You can focus on muscle gain for a while, I would not actively gain weight though, some recomposition should be possible at least at first. You may soon discover that you do need to cut fat however.

xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Jjmorris90 View Post
    Yeh I was losing around 2 lbs a week but stopped with that diet around 2 weeks ago.

Great il bump up to 2500. I'm just nervous about getting fat really. Also how much protein should I eat for my body weight? Thanks
    At 2500 calories you should not be putting on any weight at all, if you start gaining weight (outside of a few pounds of initial water weight going back to maintenance), then you're overeating.

Try to get at least 0.8g of protein per pound of bodyweight daily.
    All it takes is consistency, effort, proper nutrition, good programming, and TIME.

Don't be upset with the results you didn't get from the work you did not do.

Originally Posted by xsquid99 View Post
    At 2500 calories you should not be putting on any weight at all, if you start gaining weight (outside of a few pounds of initial water weight going back to maintenance), then you're overeating.

Try to get at least 0.8g of protein per pound of bodyweight daily.

Okay great thank you il give it a go.