darkjfman will become famous soon enough. (+50) darkjfman will become famous soon enough. (+50) darkjfman will become famous soon enough. (+50) darkjfman will become famous soon enough. (+50) darkjfman will become famous soon enough. (+50) darkjfman will become famous soon enough. (+50) darkjfman will become famous soon enough. (+50) darkjfman will become famous soon enough. (+50) darkjfman will become famous soon enough. (+50) darkjfman will become famous soon enough. (+50) darkjfman will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Marcy home gym thoughts

So I'm looking for a Smith Machine for my home. I'm not wanting anything cheap, I have about $1500 budget and looking for quality for around that price. I'd spend a bit more if it's warranted.

In my search I found the Marcy Home Gym and I'm wondering thoughts on the one in the link below. If there's any other ones that provide the same or more flexibility within the same budget I'm not opposed to looking into. Durability is definitely a big concern.

Marcy Diamond Elite Smith System with Linear Bearings - ‎MD-9010G

Thanks.

radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Marcy isn't known for quality equipment these days. Do you already have a power rack? Smith machine isn't something most people want for their home gym - if at all.

Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Marcy, Weider, Gold's Gym, Force USA, etc. are all poorly made. You won't find a good Smith machine new in the $1,500 range. You can, however, a find a good one used for that price.

Imranjaffery is not very well liked. (-100) Imranjaffery is not very well liked. (-100) Imranjaffery is not very well liked. (-100) Imranjaffery is not very well liked. (-100) Imranjaffery is not very well liked. (-100) Imranjaffery is not very well liked. (-100) Imranjaffery is not very well liked. (-100) Imranjaffery is not very well liked. (-100) Imranjaffery is not very well liked. (-100) Imranjaffery is not very well liked. (-100) Imranjaffery is not very well liked. (-100)
    If it goes well, I would also try this machine

thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The Ironmaster IM2000 is $1800 and is a very good quality smith machine that can do so much more. I have one and love it. You can buy J hooks and spotter arms for it to do free weight work off the front. This can start to add up in price though as you start adding their components/add-ons for it.

Like radr and Duplicitous said stay away from Marcy and if you just want the smith machine you should be able to find a good used commercial quality one for that price point.
    Last edited by thedickus; 03-28-2022 at 07:12 AM.
    "It is my own fault for replying in a smith thread." deadwoodgregg

Ordained Minister of Perpetual Consumption and all around righteous dude.

My home gym pictures: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175136471&p=1632857623&viewfull=1#post1632857623

My workout journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=120169181

darkjfman will become famous soon enough. (+50) darkjfman will become famous soon enough. (+50) darkjfman will become famous soon enough. (+50) darkjfman will become famous soon enough. (+50) darkjfman will become famous soon enough. (+50) darkjfman will become famous soon enough. (+50) darkjfman will become famous soon enough. (+50) darkjfman will become famous soon enough. (+50) darkjfman will become famous soon enough. (+50) darkjfman will become famous soon enough. (+50) darkjfman will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    If I were to go with commercial one, what brand should I look out for? The reason I'm going after Marcy brand because I'm not interested in top of the line quality one. I'm not a professional or aiming to be one and I'll have other family members that use it that are more interested in the safety aspect when doing bench press or squats.

Also where I'm located, the ones I see on FB Marketplace don't have all the features that I'm looking for and are more of a power rack, which isn't what I'm looking for.

thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by darkjfman View Post
    If I were to go with commercial one, what brand should I look out for? The reason I'm going after Marcy brand because I'm not interested in top of the line quality one. I'm not a professional or aiming to be one and I'll have other family members that use it that are more interested in the safety aspect when doing bench press or squats.

Also where I'm located, the ones I see on FB Marketplace don't have all the features that I'm looking for and are more of a power rack, which isn't what I'm looking for.
    What features are you looking for? The only real feature a smith machine has it that it goes straight up and straight down and has safety locks every few inches. Sometimes the bar is counter balanced and weighs next to nothing, if you consider that a feature.

My home gym pictures: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175136471&p=1632857623&viewfull=1#post1632857623

Originally Posted by thedickus View Post
    What features are you looking for? The only real feature a smith machine has it that it goes straight up and straight down and has safety locks every few inches. Sometimes the bar is counter balanced and weighs next to nothing, if you consider that a feature.
    Ultimately I'm looking for a home gym, which in my mind translates to a Smith Machine as you described with a pulley system. Maybe I'm asking for too much, besides price, I have no room for two separate machines like that. In the future I might (5+ years) for the meantime, something like the Marcy home gym is doable. It might not be top quality, but it's better than nothing.

Being near Greenville, SC I could check out these guys at carolinafitnessequipment.com they may have better equipment.

Ultimately I'm looking for a home gym, which in my mind translates to a Smith Machine as you described with a pulley system. Maybe I'm asking for too much, besides price, I have no room for two separate machines like that. In the future I might (5+ years) for the meantime, something like the Marcy home gym is doable. It might not be top quality, but it's better than nothing.

Being near Greenville, SC I could check out these guys at carolinafitnessequipment.com they may have better equipment.
    Body Solid sold a smith machine that had a pulldown attachment. Most commercial quality smith machines are just that, the smith machine. Check out the Ironmaster IM2000. It's a little above your $1500, but really does everything you're asking. You can keep adding attachments over time.

I'll give the Ironmaster a look. I don't need the pulleys and all the bells and whistles at once, I don't mind getting it over time. Let's see what the wife thinks 😬

radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Have you used a Smith Machine? I wouldn't get one unless you've spent considerable time on one. Having the bar locked on a single vertical path isn't ideal for most exercises. As far as safety goes, it looks like Marcy is only rated for 300 lbs on the bar. That's a little iffy even if you don't think anyone using it will be lifting 300 lbs. I'd want a rating that's more like 600 lbs.

For $1,500, if using free weights isn't of interest, I'd consider the Inspire FTX from Costco:
    https://www.costco.com/inspire-fitne...100486673.html

BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    It's a common misconception that smith machines are safer than free weights. They're not, that fixed path means that if there's a fail, it essentially becomes a guillotine. A power rack with free weights for the most part is much safer, as long as the safeties are set properly beforehand.

There was recently an example discussed as well. https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...hp?t=181131133

Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    A good smith machine will have guide rod bearings. A lot of times the bar will be counterbalanced, so it is essentially weightless when you don't have plates on it(for easy height adjustment).
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No 7
    ()---() York Barbell Club #7 ()---()
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #13 []---[]
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #9 -!!!---!!!-

Originally Posted by BiGx5MurF View Post
    It's a common misconception that smith machines are safer than free weights. They're not, that fixed path means that if there's a fail, it essentially becomes a guillotine. A power rack with free weights for the most part is much safer, as long as the safeties are set properly beforehand.

There was recently an example discussed as well. https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...hp?t=181131133
    I'm a huge fan of smith machines. Mine is the center piece of my gym. Having said that I agree they're not 100% fool proof safe. You have to be careful using them just like any other piece of equipment. 30 years ago I was benching on a smith in a Gold's Gym back in Texas. I finished my last rep and thought I engaged the safeties and dropped my arms to my sides. The bar didn't catch on the safeties and 205lbs came crashing down on my chest and fractured my sternum. Had I been doing neck presses, I'd be dead. This smith either didn't have safeties or I didn't engage them. I honestly don't think they even had safeties on them back in those days. I remember the plates would almost touch the floor with 45s loaded on some models.