Prier84 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Should I squat and deadlift or find substitutes?

Hello everyone, I’m looking for some advice. First I’d like to say I’m 37 and just starting my journey again. I’ve lifted off and on for years but never really stayed consistent with it and nutrition, but I’m not getting any younger so I’m definitely going to stick with it as I know it’s only going to get harder from here. I’m looking at running beginner programs as that’s what all the advice I read says is best, but my problem is I have horrible leverages and measurements for deadlifts and squats. I’m 69 inches tall, but my legs are 39 inches so almost 57%. I’ve always had a real hard time trying to get parallel in squats and to stay completely straight in the thoracic spine when doing dead’s as I have to be at an awkward angle. My question is should I even do these since I know they are the king of compounds or is there a good substitute so I don’t get injured and can sustain years of consistency? Also I have 2 herniated discs in my cervical spine from years ago and 3 fractures in my lumbar spine that have calicified from a long time ago so injury prevention is very important to me. I really don’t care about being the strongest person I just want to build muscle so I’m not sure if I can just make adjustments for something less focused on strength and still build serious mass?

coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Prier84 View Post
    Hello everyone, I’m looking for some advice. First I’d like to say I’m 37 and just starting my journey again. I’ve lifted off and on for years but never really stayed consistent with it and nutrition, but I’m not getting any younger so I’m definitely going to stick with it as I know it’s only going to get harder from here. I’m looking at running beginner programs as that’s what all the advice I read says is best, but my problem is I have horrible leverages and measurements for deadlifts and squats. I’m 69 inches tall, but my legs are 39 inches so almost 57%. I’ve always had a real hard time trying to get parallel in squats and to stay completely straight in the thoracic spine when doing dead’s as I have to be at an awkward angle. My question is should I even do these since I know they are the king of compounds or is there a good substitute so I don’t get injured and can sustain years of consistency? Also I have 2 herniated discs in my cervical spine from years ago and 3 fractures in my lumbar spine that have calicified from a long time ago so injury prevention is very important to me. I really don’t care about being the strongest person I just want to build muscle so I’m not sure if I can just make adjustments for something less focused on strength and still build serious mass?
    Leg press
    Hacks
    Front squats
    Leg ext
    Leg curls

None of it will make you smaller.
    "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. "By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."

Old Guy deadlifting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zMrim-0Dks
    bench press https://youtu.be/GaRzfueJVJQ

Every workout is GAME DAY!

MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    havin inneficient leverages (and consequently form) just means you do more work with the same loads and likely get the gains with less total weight to move.

coaches suggestions are great too, ill add belt squat, pendulum squat machine and some form of lunge as an accessory.
    Last edited by MyEgoProblem; 03-27-2022 at 08:22 AM.
    FMH crew - Couch.

'pick a program from the stickies' = biggest cop out post.

Prier84 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by MyEgoProblem View Post
    havin inneficient leverages (and consequently form) just means you do more work with the same loads and likely get the gains with less total weight to move.

coaches suggestions are great too
    I wish I had a place that had personal coaches lol. I live in rural Oklahoma and none of the gyms have legit personal trainers or coaches or anything of the sort.

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Prier84 View Post
    I wish I had a place that had personal coaches lol. I live in rural Oklahoma and none of the gyms have legit personal trainers or coaches or anything of the sort.
    He meant Coach the poster above.

And, yes, inefficient leverages only matter in competition. Gymnasts get muscular getting themselves into the most disadvantageous positions they are able to.
    Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000)

Thumbs up

Since I was an old tall guy when I started lifting seriously, I wish I had worked a bit with a personal trainer at the beginning. I think I would have learned how to avoid a few injuries and make progress faster.

Best wishes!
    At age 64, I've exceeded all my prior PRs. Not “over the hill” yet. :)

My workout journal is here:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=176385621

HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I just saw your post about the absence of personal trainers in the gyms nearby. You might want to contact an orthopedic facility that does physical therapy or rehab. Also, if there’s any decent lifting-focused trainer within a five-hour drive, I would make the investment of calling for an appointment and making the day trip to get an assessment and a lifting program.
    At age 64, I've exceeded all my prior PRs. Not “over the hill” yet. :)

My workout journal is here:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=176385621

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You may want to try a wide stance for squats and rack pulls instead of DLs.

BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    You may want to try a wide stance for squats and rack pulls instead of DLs.
    This.

Also, are sumo DLs easier to keep the back from rounding?

rozajav is not very well liked. (-100) rozajav is not very well liked. (-100) rozajav is not very well liked. (-100) rozajav is not very well liked. (-100) rozajav is not very well liked. (-100) rozajav is not very well liked. (-100) rozajav is not very well liked. (-100) rozajav is not very well liked. (-100) rozajav is not very well liked. (-100) rozajav is not very well liked. (-100) rozajav is not very well liked. (-100)
    I was tall and skinny, then started lifting and squatting, so how I have an outstanding shape. These exercises really help build muscles.

MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by BiGx5MurF View Post
    This.

Also, are sumo DLs easier to keep the back from rounding?
    You can usually be a little more uppright...
    May help your back rounding issue

But it could just be you don't know how to brace and load your hips in the Hinge position.

Just to add tho
    Back roundinh is not necessarily bad form or less efficient.
    Many pull MORE and build more back in flexion.
    FMH crew - Couch.

'pick a program from the stickies' = biggest cop out post.