champbehan is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Is Starting strength still the best go to?

Hey all,

I've never strayed too far off the path but I am switching up my schedule a bit so I can workout before work. After having my first kid the after work schedule has been too unpredictable to have a reliable routine.

That being said I will have 30 minutes or so each morning give or take probably closer to 40 to get my workouts in. I have done starting strength a few times in the past and eventually roll onto another routine when I get bored of it. Is that still one of the best ways to get going again? I want to use at least one morning for Pilates so I would say a 3/4 day split is another option.

My gym is in my garage and I have a squat rack, bench, pull up bar, and dip bar.

My main goals are just to continue growing athletically. I am a big mountain biker, golfer, and always enjoy pickup games for sports. So strength training goes along with my cardio and flexibility training well.
    Last edited by champbehan; 03-04-2022 at 06:38 AM.

BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Respectfully, starting strength was never the way to go

"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants"
    -Sir Isaac Newton

EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    It may not be ideal, but I have seen some people get quite strong fairly quickly on it.

Until you actually do meaningfully stall, I don't see the problem with linear progression for a novice. AFAIK that's one of the criteria separating it from intermediate anyway.
    Bench: 320
    Squat: 405
    Deadlift: 505

"... But always, there remained, the discipline of steel!"

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    You also need to state your goal. SS might be OK as a foundational athlete's course but I wouldn't prescribe it for what most people want. There are better options which won't look massively different - still linear progression with main compounds, just with detail differences in terms of muscular balance and exercise selection. See the sticky threads for some such options.

Originally Posted by BeginnerGainz View Post
    I'm far from offended.. But if you are going to say no how about a little input on what you believe would be a better route given my situation.....

Good point suffolkpunch. Just added it. I'm not neccessarily trying to get huge or lose weight or anything. Just add more power and strength

WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    No not by a long shot.

Will it get your stronger quick.. Probably
    Will most anything as a beginner.. Usually

Will it lead to bad habits, overshooting, terrible ideaolgy and a general distaste for strength training because of its bullhead Ed oversimplicty.. Probably if most accounts are anything to go by.

Barbell Medicine, Stronger By Science, even Candito templates all put out sensible, balanced beginner templates that let people develop at their own pace while learning the basics and still having some degree of choice.
    5 day full body crew

FMH Crew, Sandbagging Mike Tuscherer Wannabee

MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by BeginnerGainz View Post
    Very rarely do i 100% agree with anyone....

Today is a rare day! 👍
    FMH crew - Couch.

If a post sounds like N=1 and that they have no experience coaching anyone but them selves?

Do the math. You ain't that person, their experience probably isn't going to be yours. Can still be useful for inspiration - try things, follow athlete response and track trends In your training.

MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by WolfRose7 View Post
    No not by a long shot.

Will it get your stronger quick.. Probably
    Will most anything as a beginner.. Usually

Will it lead to bad habits, overshooting, terrible ideaolgy and a general distaste for strength training because of its bullhead Ed oversimplicty.. Probably if most accounts are anything to go by.

Barbell Medicine, Stronger By Science, even Candito templates all put out sensible, balanced beginner templates that let people develop at their own pace while learning the basics and still having some degree of choice.
    That's twice in one day...

100% agree.. 👍
    FMH crew - Couch.

If a post sounds like N=1 and that they have no experience coaching anyone but them selves?

Do the math. You ain't that person, their experience probably isn't going to be yours. Can still be useful for inspiration - try things, follow athlete response and track trends In your training.

FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    The programing foundation that starting strength is built on, is very sound. It can be optimized with additional volume, depending on what the trainee is looking to do.
    Email to chat about programming or anything training related : FurtadoZ9@outlook.com