View Poll Results: For hypertrophy should I do 10 to 12 reps per set or 70 percent of my 1RM per set?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • 10 to 12 reps

2 66.67%
  • 70% of 1RM

1 33.33%
    amichae4 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

prioritizing reps or weight for hypertrophy

TLDR: I've been told to train hypertrophy with 10 to 12 reps per set but I've also been told to do 70 to 75 percent of my one rep max. On some exercises if I do 10 to 12 reps I can't get anywhere near 70 percent of my 1RM. Which one is more important?

Hello all, I'm new here and the FAQ link wasn't woking so sorry if I am posting in the wrong place. I am also new to lifting. I've only been lifting for around 4 months so I need some help.

From the research I have done I have seen that a lot of trainers say to do 10 to 12 reps of an exercise and then move up a weight. However I have also seen trainers recommending that lifters do 70 to 75 percent of their 1RM. The problem for me is that if I do 70 percent of my 1RM I can't even do 10 reps on some exercises. So I'd like to know your thoughts on what I should prioritize. Should I lift 70 percent of my 1RM or should I do 10 to 12 reps? Keep in mind that I am training hypertrophy. Thank you.

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Yes.
    Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Hypertrophy happens from a variety of %s and rep ranges.

I spent most of my lifting years in the 5-8 rep range. I’m hitting a lot more reps now. Nothing magical about it, just feels safer at my age to be honest.

For me, 8 reps is a sweet spot I’d say. 10-12 …I’d have to lift pretty light to do multiple sets in that range.
    "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. "By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."

Old Guy deadlifting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zMrim-0Dks
    bench press https://youtu.be/GaRzfueJVJQ

Every workout is GAME DAY!

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Use a range of different rep counts depending on the exercise. Some exercises suit higher or lower reps more - there isn't a universal prescription. Also, you can vary it over time to change the stimulus.

But if you are a complete beginner, it's better to do a cookie cutter routine like Fierce 5 at first.