Evoras is on a distinguished road. (+10) Evoras is on a distinguished road. (+10) Evoras is on a distinguished road. (+10) Evoras is on a distinguished road. (+10) Evoras is on a distinguished road. (+10) Evoras is on a distinguished road. (+10) Evoras is on a distinguished road. (+10) Evoras is on a distinguished road. (+10) Evoras is on a distinguished road. (+10) Evoras is on a distinguished road. (+10) Evoras is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Please help, don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Hey guys, I have been stalling on most of my main lifts for a few months now, and given my current stats and level, this should not be occurring, given that I am trying to do everything right.
    I am 6ft 175 lb 25% bodyfat. My goal is building muscle and getting stronger.
    I have been maintaining my weight for the past 3 months now and I can't seem to progress on my major lifts and it's really frustrating. I understand thet a surplus is better for overall muscle/strength gains, but my current lifts are so low I should be able to increase even in a deficit.
    My lifts are Bench- 165lb X 6, BB row- 135 X 6, OHP- 115 X6(Can't train legs due to serious knee injury, so I'm doing light work)

I make sure to sleep 8 hours every night and get enough calories and protein to maintain my weight.
    I have been following a full body split for the past 6 months, but lately I have been stuck on these lifts for a while and have not had any changes in the mirror as well. I rest 3-5 on compounds and less of isolations. My routine is:

Workout A-
    BB bench- 4X6
    T bar- row- 3X8
    Lat pulldown- 3X10
    Seated shoulder press- 3X8
    lateral raise- 3X12
    barbell curl- 3X10
    Triceps extension- 3X12
    Leg work

Workout B
    OHP- 4X6
    BB row- 4X6
    barbell shrug- 3X10
    incline BB press- 3X8
    chest fly- 3X15
    dumbbell curl- 3X12
    triceps pushdown- 3X12
    Leg work

I am so frustrated, because every workout I am pushing myself and working hard and going close to failure on every exercise, working near my 1rm, but making sure I hit the required reps. But I am stalling on these weak lifts when I should be progressing every workout. Given my state, I should be progressing every workout and building muscle as a weak beginner.

Sorry for the long post, any help I appreciated.

TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You should really get that body fat down to a healthy range. I rotate between 12-15 percent. Do you have a progression plan? Progressive overload is the primary driver for natural lifters. You need to add weight overtime while being in a small surplus. If those two are not met you’re basically maintaining.

Evoras is on a distinguished road. (+10) Evoras is on a distinguished road. (+10) Evoras is on a distinguished road. (+10) Evoras is on a distinguished road. (+10) Evoras is on a distinguished road. (+10) Evoras is on a distinguished road. (+10) Evoras is on a distinguished road. (+10) Evoras is on a distinguished road. (+10) Evoras is on a distinguished road. (+10) Evoras is on a distinguished road. (+10) Evoras is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by TAWS6 View Post
    You should really get that body fat down to a healthy range. I rotate between 12-15 percent. Do you have a progression plan? Progressive overload is the primary driver for natural lifters. You need to add weight overtime while being in a small surplus. If those two are not met you’re basically maintaining.
    I have been trying to progressively overload every workout or every week, but every time I come back to the same weight I get stuck.
    I get that a surplus is required to get stronger once the weight starts getting close to intermediate. But given how weak I am and how fat i am, I should be able to progress workout to work out like a beginner should with ease, even in a deficit. But i'm not

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Evoras View Post
    I get that a surplus is required to get stronger once the weight starts getting close to intermediate. But given how weak I am and how fat i am, I should be able to progress workout to work out like a beginner should with ease, even in a deficit.
    Apparently not for you at least, and why would the fact that you're really light but made up of all fat put you at an advantage?

Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    Apparently not for you at least, and why would the fact that you're really light but made up of all fat put you at an advantage?
    Because bro, I am in the worst spot, little to no muscle and high bodyfat. This would put me in a great spot to build muscle because I am so far from my genetic potential and considered a beginner with excess energy stored. If you get what i'm trying to say lol.

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Because bro, I am in the worst spot, little to no muscle and high bodyfat. This would put me in a great spot to build muscle because I am so far from my genetic potential and considered a beginner with excess energy stored. If you get what i'm trying to say lol.
    You seem to be far from an expert in such matters. But if that's the case, then stop whining & try harder.

Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    You seem to be far from an expert in such matters. But if that's the case, then stop whining & try harder.
    Dude i'm just telling you what most people have said, especially from videos I've watched or posts I've read.

That is why i'm posting this thread because I am confused as to why IM not making progress when I have been trying to do everything right.

Dude i'm just telling you what most people have said, especially from videos I've watched or posts I've read.

That is why i'm posting this thread because I am confused as to why IM not making progress when I have been trying to do everything right.
    The dude a few posts above said to eat in a small surplus which you ignored.

If you don't want to do that, then you have to try harder. No one else or their theoretical progress videos/posts can lift the weight for you. Maybe drop some of the iso crap & the fake legwork at the end of your workouts so you can focus on the main lifts.

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Sort out your serious knee injury before worrying too much about building muscle and getting stronger. Your ability to train hard is compromised.
    Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Numbers can be deceiving. Some people are just genetically gifted and have good leverages... Others don’t.

Guideline

1. Get the fat off
    2. Once you’re at 12 ish percent stabilize the new bf for a few weeks
    3. Eat in a small surplus. Calorie partitioning will be improved and you’ll gain better
    4. Slow down progression. If you can’t add weight every week try for every 2-3 weeks.

Originally Posted by TolerantLactose View Post
    Sort out your serious knee injury before worrying too much about building muscle and getting stronger. Your ability to train hard is compromised.
    Can't brah, it's a genetic issue that can't be fixed. Unless I do extensive surgery.

My knee injury doesn't compromise my ability to train hard on any upper body exercises. I just can't squat/deadlift heavy.

Numbers can be deceiving. Some people are just genetically gifted and have good leverages... Others don’t.

Guideline

1. Get the fat off
    2. Once you’re at 12 ish percent stabilize the new bf for a few weeks
    3. Eat in a small surplus. Calorie partitioning will be improved and you’ll gain better
    4. Slow down progression. If you can’t add weight every week try for every 2-3 weeks.
    Thanks bro! Appreciate the help.

Quick question though if I cut down to around 12% bf, I'll probably be around 150-155lb at 6ft. Wouldn't I be way way too skinny?

Thanks bro! Appreciate the help.

Quick question though if I cut down to around 12% bf, I'll probably be around 150-155lb at 6ft. Wouldn't I be way way too skinny?
    Its kind of personal preference. There is absolutely nothing wrong with cutting to 13-14 percent and then bulking to 16-17% ish.. That's more so the upper limit. I'd never start a bulk at 20 percent or more because then things get ugly lol

Its kind of personal preference. There is absolutely nothing wrong with cutting to 13-14 percent and then bulking to 16-17% ish.. That's more so the upper limit. I'd never start a bulk at 20 percent or more because then things get ugly lol
    Gotcha!
    Given my weight and bodyfat, how much should I aim to lose per week, so I don't lose the muscle I have left lol or possibly build some?

Gotcha!
    Given my weight and bodyfat, how much should I aim to lose per week, so I don't lose the muscle I have left lol or possibly build some?
    I’d say about 2 lbs per week.

WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    There's nothing special about getting down to 12% bf tbh.. It's as arbitrary as 20.

But I don't discourage the fat loss goal overall.

The problem may simply be doing the same thing for to long. Most people will stall regardless just repeating the same pattern forever.

You need to change some variables. Variations, sets n reps, how far from failure sets are. Apply that to a new cycle, there may be some drop in strength initially but then you'll get strong by the end of it. Be it 4 - 8 weeks.

If you need a straight up new program to follow because this is to much to organize canidto linear is different enough but still going to be very suitable
    5 day full body crew

FMH Crew, Sandbagging Mike Tuscherer Wannabee

Originally Posted by WolfRose7 View Post
    There's nothing special about getting down to 12% bf tbh.. It's as arbitrary as 20.

But I don't discourage the fat loss goal overall.

The problem may simply be doing the same thing for to long. Most people will stall regardless just repeating the same pattern forever.

You need to change some variables. Variations, sets n reps, how far from failure sets are. Apply that to a new cycle, there may be some drop in strength initially but then you'll get strong by the end of it. Be it 4 - 8 weeks.

If you need a straight up new program to follow because this is to much to organize canidto linear is different enough but still going to be very suitable
    I'll give it a try! How does my overall routine look?

coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Hey guys, I have been stalling on most of my main lifts for a few months now, and given my current stats and level, this should not be occurring, given that I am trying to do everything right.
    I am 6ft 175 lb 25% bodyfat. My goal is building muscle and getting stronger.
    I have been maintaining my weight for the past 3 months now and I can't seem to progress on my major lifts and it's really frustrating. I understand thet a surplus is better for overall muscle/strength gains, but my current lifts are so low I should be able to increase even in a deficit.
    My lifts are Bench- 165lb X 6, BB row- 135 X 6, OHP- 115 X6(Can't train legs due to serious knee injury, so I'm doing light work)

I make sure to sleep 8 hours every night and get enough calories and protein to maintain my weight.
    I have been following a full body split for the past 6 months, but lately I have been stuck on these lifts for a while and have not had any changes in the mirror as well. I rest 3-5 on compounds and less of isolations. My routine is:

Workout A-
    BB bench- 4X6
    T bar- row- 3X8
    Lat pulldown- 3X10
    Seated shoulder press- 3X8
    lateral raise- 3X12
    barbell curl- 3X10
    Triceps extension- 3X12
    Leg work

Workout B
    OHP- 4X6
    BB row- 4X6
    barbell shrug- 3X10
    incline BB press- 3X8
    chest fly- 3X15
    dumbbell curl- 3X12
    triceps pushdown- 3X12
    Leg work

I am so frustrated, because every workout I am pushing myself and working hard and going close to failure on every exercise, working near my 1rm, but making sure I hit the required reps. But I am stalling on these weak lifts when I should be progressing every workout. Given my state, I should be progressing every workout and building muscle as a weak beginner.

Sorry for the long post, any help I appreciated.

100% this is your solution…

Simple rep goal progression.

For each exercise choose an upper guide or max number of reps.

For simplicity let’s just say you set it at 10.

Train your hardest trying to get 10 perfect reps. When you do…..you can start heavier next time.

You can however add weight each set in a pyramid or keep the weight the same….it doesn’t matter, whatever you like.

Progression for dummies, build up the reps, reach the goal, add a little weight to the bar and repeat.

If you are stuck on ALL lifts, add 250 cals. Per day.
    "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. "By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."

Old Guy deadlifting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zMrim-0Dks
    bench press https://youtu.be/GaRzfueJVJQ

Every workout is GAME DAY!

Originally Posted by coachcalande View Post
    100% this is your solution…

Simple rep goal progression.

For each exercise choose an upper guide or max number of reps.

For simplicity let’s just say you set it at 10.

Train your hardest trying to get 10 perfect reps. When you do…..you can start heavier next time.

You can however add weight each set in a pyramid or keep the weight the same….it doesn’t matter, whatever you like.

Progression for dummies, build up the reps, reach the goal, add a little weight to the bar and repeat.

If you are stuck on ALL lifts, add 250 cals. Per day.
    I appreciate the advice, thanks. Though I'm curious. How close to my 1rm should my sets be. Like most of my last sets are close to failure and are really hard. Is this a bad way to train as a beginner?

I appreciate the advice, thanks. Though I'm curious. How close to my 1rm should my sets be. Like most of my last sets are close to failure and are really hard. Is this a bad way to train as a beginner?
    '

If what you're doing is working for you, keep doing it. If not, make a change.

coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Trial and error will help set your weights. 80% of your max will most likely allow 6-8 reps. Take every set as close to failure as you can without hurting yourself. Holding back will hold YOU back. Set the goal, chase the goal, be safe, keep the form, when you can reach the goal safely with good form, start heavier next time.

I’m not sure who started this BS trend of holding guys from pushing sets to the limit but it’s causing and epidemic of NO GAINs. The mechanical tension from using progressively heavier weights is only part of the equation. You need some metabolic stress to force adaptations….prolong the time under the tension.

Let’s say you bench 150x8 with your best effort and a spotter there for safety…
    The next workout you will probably get 9.
    The following workout 10…

Go to 155 next time.

That does NOT mean you have to use the same weight for all sets, in fact, there’s research showing that varying the weights is beneficial.

So even if you get 150x8
    You could add 5-10 lbs and push hard and perhaps manage 5-6. You’re Going to drop a rep or two anyway!

And look, you can set the goal higher…12…that’s fine too.

Ultimately the first set for whatever body part you are training should show a gain in reps, form, control, bar speed….
    "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. "By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."

Old Guy deadlifting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zMrim-0Dks
    bench press https://youtu.be/GaRzfueJVJQ

Every workout is GAME DAY!