hanzosbm will become famous soon enough. (+50) hanzosbm will become famous soon enough. (+50) hanzosbm will become famous soon enough. (+50) hanzosbm will become famous soon enough. (+50) hanzosbm will become famous soon enough. (+50) hanzosbm will become famous soon enough. (+50) hanzosbm will become famous soon enough. (+50) hanzosbm will become famous soon enough. (+50) hanzosbm will become famous soon enough. (+50) hanzosbm will become famous soon enough. (+50) hanzosbm will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Threw out my back

My back has been hurting every morning getting out of bed, but usually loosens up within an hour or so. Monday I hit squats pretty hard, and probably neglected my form. Yesterday at work we had a client tour of the shop floor and I was on my feet almost all day (normally parked on my butt all day) and my lower back was screaming. Got home and needed to haul some firewood, and on the last load, it went out on me.

Needless to say, the deadlifts I had planned for today ain't gonna happen. But, I guess my big question is, are there any good tips on ensuring I keep good form during my workout? I can video myself, but really that only allows me to look back afterwards and see what I did wrong. I know I got lazy on Monday and just focused on getting really low and getting a few extra reps and took my focus off my form and bracing, but are there any good tips you guys use IN THE MOMENT to tell you 'whoops, my butt is winking or my back is rounding'? Short of duct taping a wooden dowel along my spine, I'm struggling to tell when I'm doing well and when I'm not.

(P.S., I work out in my basement alone, so unfortunately, a partner telling me that my form is crap isn't an option)

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Some people can't physically go below a certain level without buttwink occurring. Video yourself and check the position of your lower back. If you can prevent this happening using lighter weights or just through focusing on bracing then you can learn to keep form. If it's impossible to get to the depths you were attempting without form breaking down - even with light weights - then maybe your hip geometry just won't allow it.

If your goal is just hypertrophy and not powerlifting competition then don't beat yourself up over depth. I prefer to use full ROM where possible but sometimes you just have to work within parameters imposed on you - and plenty of guys build big legs without being strict over depth. For example, check out the Natural Gallant Bodybuilding channel...

I have also had good results by working on upper glutes using a hip abduction machine - which helps prevent the lower back spasming.

hanzosbm will become famous soon enough. (+50) hanzosbm will become famous soon enough. (+50) hanzosbm will become famous soon enough. (+50) hanzosbm will become famous soon enough. (+50) hanzosbm will become famous soon enough. (+50) hanzosbm will become famous soon enough. (+50) hanzosbm will become famous soon enough. (+50) hanzosbm will become famous soon enough. (+50) hanzosbm will become famous soon enough. (+50) hanzosbm will become famous soon enough. (+50) hanzosbm will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    Some people can't physically go below a certain level without buttwink occurring. Video yourself and check the position of your lower back. If you can prevent this happening using lighter weights or just through focusing on bracing then you can learn to keep form. If it's impossible to get to the depths you were attempting without form breaking down - even with light weights - then maybe your hip geometry just won't allow it.

If your goal is just hypertrophy and not powerlifting competition then don't beat yourself up over depth. I prefer to use full ROM where possible but sometimes you just have to work within parameters imposed on you - and plenty of guys build big legs without being strict over depth. For example, check out the Natural Gallant Bodybuilding channel...

I have also had good results by working on upper glutes using a hip abduction machine - which helps prevent the lower back spasming.
    Thank you for that. Once my back is feeling better, I think I'll do exactly as you suggested. Lots of videos trying to pinpoint exactly where the buttwink is occurring. From there, I can set the safety bars in my cage to prevent me from trying to go lower (or at a notch lower as a reminder).
    It occurred to me that during that same workout I was doing bent over barbell rows, which are also none too friendly on my back. I might switch that up for awhile to at least give my back a rest and until I get a bit better at bracing.