Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    splitsquat is just really nice. (+1000) splitsquat is just really nice. (+1000) splitsquat is just really nice. (+1000) splitsquat is just really nice. (+1000) splitsquat is just really nice. (+1000) splitsquat is just really nice. (+1000) splitsquat is just really nice. (+1000) splitsquat is just really nice. (+1000) splitsquat is just really nice. (+1000) splitsquat is just really nice. (+1000) splitsquat is just really nice. (+1000)

DIY wheeled resistance sled - anyone make something like this?

After seeing videos of the Torque and XPO sleds, there's no way I would want to deal with the hassles of more traditional sleds. With wheeled sleds that have internal resistance, there's virtually no noise to annoy you or your neighbors, no damage to your driveway, no need to load up sled with 45lb plates for resistance, family and friends can use it w/o changing plates. But they are very pricey. XPO is $700, and Torque is more than that.

Wondering if anyone has DIY'ed something like this, or if guys have any ideas on how to DIY it. Seems like the key component is the resistance mechanism. With both the XPO and Torque, resistance is provided by an eddy current brake aka a magnetic brake (various styles of this mechanism are used in some exercise machines). So you can buy a ECB from a fitness supply / parts site or ebay (doesn't look like you can buy XPO or Torque's ECB separately as a repair/replacement part). Others may have ideas on where you can get similar devices from other types of machines apart from exercise equipment.

Then you need to actuate the brake. In many exercise machines, this is done using electronic display control over a small motor that moves the magnets closer to or farther from the flywheel. In the Torque and XPO sleds, it's done via an adjustment lever, which is plenty sufficient for most who would be interested in a sled. If you wanted to get very fancy, since the small motor used in exercise machines uses DC voltage, you could probably rig up a switched control that uses a battery.

Then you have to connect that to your front wheel via chain or belt. The rest is mostly welding up a frame, but could also be accomplished using bolts and steel or even lumber.

Anyway, if anyone has rigged something up, or has ideas, I'd love to hear them.

For those who haven't seen the sleds I'm referring to, here are a couple of videos:
    Torque Tank: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD7vAO14QfI
    Torque Tank M1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTsp4GNYxTw
    XPO Trainer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgF4pHbhmgc
    XPO Trainer 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUXUl3sXSig
    Last edited by splitsquat; 01-30-2022 at 09:38 AM.

waynefulano has a spectacular aura about. (+250) waynefulano has a spectacular aura about. (+250) waynefulano has a spectacular aura about. (+250) waynefulano has a spectacular aura about. (+250) waynefulano has a spectacular aura about. (+250) waynefulano has a spectacular aura about. (+250) waynefulano has a spectacular aura about. (+250) waynefulano has a spectacular aura about. (+250) waynefulano has a spectacular aura about. (+250) waynefulano has a spectacular aura about. (+250) waynefulano has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by splitsquat View Post
    Anyway, if anyone has rigged something up, or has ideas, I'd love to hear them.
    I second this! My google searches for an eddy current brake/magnetic brake have been fruitless.
    When I start getting too full of myself, I try to remember that somewhere in China an 11-year-old girl is warming up with my 1RM.

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Put your SUV in neutral & push it. Add people inside or 1 person pressing the brake for desired resistance.

Registered User userFWWZXBQXTLI's Avatar
    userFWWZXBQXTLI is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I've been pushing a car and it works great. However, you need a partner and it only works when its nice outside. I live where winter is very long.
    I imagine using something like a band brake could work.
    Won't be as high tech as the XPO but will definitely be cheaper.
    While I have done some DIY, I lack the skills to execute this.

Registered User ChuckWillyDuece's Avatar
    ChuckWillyDuece is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Working on a prototype

Hey,
    Figured I'd chime in as I'm starting to source parts to work on a prototype for DIY resistance sled. I talked to the guy at XPO and it seems like they're just connecting the positive and negative terminals of an electric motor. I have some experience with electric motors but not enough to know how this will provide magnetic resistance within the motor once it goes in motion. If this doesn't work my next step will be to add a braking resistor in the circuit and see if that does anything. I'm hoping to have something put together in a week or two and will update you on the results.

Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by ChuckWillyDuece View Post
    Hey,
    Figured I'd chime in as I'm starting to source parts to work on a prototype for DIY resistance sled. I talked to the guy at XPO and it seems like they're just connecting the positive and negative terminals of an electric motor. I have some experience with electric motors but not enough to know how this will provide magnetic resistance within the motor once it goes in motion. If this doesn't work my next step will be to add a braking resistor in the circuit and see if that does anything. I'm hoping to have something put together in a week or two and will update you on the results.
    Hey maybe use a generator and you can make and store electricity to batteries while doing exercise.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No 7
    ()---() York Barbell Club #7 ()---()
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #13 []---[]
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #9 -!!!---!!!-

DutchB1 is not very well liked. (-100) DutchB1 is not very well liked. (-100) DutchB1 is not very well liked. (-100) DutchB1 is not very well liked. (-100) DutchB1 is not very well liked. (-100) DutchB1 is not very well liked. (-100) DutchB1 is not very well liked. (-100) DutchB1 is not very well liked. (-100) DutchB1 is not very well liked. (-100) DutchB1 is not very well liked. (-100) DutchB1 is not very well liked. (-100)
    On a flat area only please.
    Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    Put your SUV in neutral & push it. Add people inside or 1 person pressing the brake for desired resistance.

Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    they look great, but after trying one, I much prefer a traditional sled. There is something about the wheeled ones, they just don't feel as good especially at really slow and sprinting speeds.

that said, a good alternative is to get a treadmill and unplug it - just push against the belt with no motor assisting and you'll get a similar result
    Boomer Rep Crew #1
    []---[] Equipment Crew #37 []---[]
    ()---() York Barbell Club #3 ()---()

"You want science and studies? **** you. I've got scars and blood and vomit."
    -Wendler

Update on prototype

Originally Posted by Cleveland33 View Post
    they look great, but after trying one, I much prefer a traditional sled. There is something about the wheeled ones, they just don't feel as good especially at really slow and sprinting speeds.

that said, a good alternative is to get a treadmill and unplug it - just push against the belt with no motor assisting and you'll get a similar result

Yea i've seen people use treadmills but then you have to have a spot for a treadmill and can only walk backwards. I like the idea of traditional sled but then have to have smooth turf-like ground to use it without scratching up driveway or ripping up lawn. Not to mention the purchase of weights. My goal is to build a better product for less than half the price of an XPO. I tested the motor I have yesterday and I was able to get it to produce magnetic resistance under load. I can add more or diff sized motors to adjust resistance to best suit me. Still waiting on some parts but I have high hopes for this project.

eatingoatmeal will become famous soon enough. (+50) eatingoatmeal will become famous soon enough. (+50) eatingoatmeal will become famous soon enough. (+50) eatingoatmeal will become famous soon enough. (+50) eatingoatmeal will become famous soon enough. (+50) eatingoatmeal will become famous soon enough. (+50) eatingoatmeal will become famous soon enough. (+50) eatingoatmeal will become famous soon enough. (+50) eatingoatmeal will become famous soon enough. (+50) eatingoatmeal will become famous soon enough. (+50) eatingoatmeal will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    One alternative is to get a vintage exer-genie device. I got one when I wanted to do some sled pulls with a harness. Got one for $35 on ebay, replaced the nylon rope in it for 10$. Adjustable resistance, easy set up. Plus if it comes with the 1960s instruction booklet you can read about the crisis of poor physical conditioning afflicting the youngest generation and how it is about to destroy the United States because we will not be able to field an army against the communists.

Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Yea i've seen people use treadmills but then you have to have a spot for a treadmill and can only walk backwards. I like the idea of traditional sled but then have to have smooth turf-like ground to use it without scratching up driveway or ripping up lawn. Not to mention the purchase of weights. My goal is to build a better product for less than half the price of an XPO. I tested the motor I have yesterday and I was able to get it to produce magnetic resistance under load. I can add more or diff sized motors to adjust resistance to best suit me. Still waiting on some parts but I have high hopes for this project.
    why can you only walk backwards?
    Boomer Rep Crew #1
    []---[] Equipment Crew #37 []---[]
    ()---() York Barbell Club #3 ()---()

"You want science and studies? **** you. I've got scars and blood and vomit."
    -Wendler

Originally Posted by Cleveland33 View Post
    why can you only walk backwards?

I shouldve made it more clear. You can definitely walk forward on the treadmills. For me, it would be awkward trying to get into a very low athletic stance to really generate some speed. I'm sure it would work for some peoples needs.

BulkMore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BulkMore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BulkMore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BulkMore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BulkMore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BulkMore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BulkMore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BulkMore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BulkMore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BulkMore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BulkMore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Kneesovertoes guy thread engaged.

eatingoatmeal will become famous soon enough. (+50) eatingoatmeal will become famous soon enough. (+50) eatingoatmeal will become famous soon enough. (+50) eatingoatmeal will become famous soon enough. (+50) eatingoatmeal will become famous soon enough. (+50) eatingoatmeal will become famous soon enough. (+50) eatingoatmeal will become famous soon enough. (+50) eatingoatmeal will become famous soon enough. (+50) eatingoatmeal will become famous soon enough. (+50) eatingoatmeal will become famous soon enough. (+50) eatingoatmeal will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by BulkMore View Post
    Kneesovertoes guy thread engaged.
    Ha! How did you know? Not to derail the thread, but that is why I got the exergenie in the first place, to do knee over toe guy stuff.

Sidenote, most cost effective tib solution? I bought some york iron boots for $20 and replaced the straps with some modern nylon ones. Way cheaper than a monkey foot...I think I just derailed it, sorry.

BulkMore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BulkMore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BulkMore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BulkMore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BulkMore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BulkMore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BulkMore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BulkMore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BulkMore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BulkMore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BulkMore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by eatingoatmeal View Post
    Ha! How did you know? Not to derail the thread, but that is why I got the exergenie in the first place, to do knee over toe guy stuff.

Sidenote, most cost effective tib solution? I bought some york iron boots for $20 and replaced the straps with some modern nylon ones. Way cheaper than a monkey foot...I think I just derailed it, sorry.
    I started doing a bunch of different leg exercises he talks about. There's enough YouTube videos on his stuff that it's not necessary to pay the $50/month or whatever for his advice.

First motor resistance test

Hey just wanted to give you guys a quick update. The first test of the motor attached to wheels does show magnetic resistance under load. Now that I'm confident I can make this beast work, I'm going to get a second axle and a slightly bigger motor and finish the first prototype out of a fully wood frame. ( I have alot of scrap wood) Then once I know the best motor/gearing to use, I'll draw up a steel frame using the Torque Tank m4 as inspiration. I have pictures but unfortunately this site won't let you post pics until you've posted at least 50 times. I guess I better find some things to talk about in other threads..

babylover is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) babylover is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) babylover is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) babylover is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) babylover is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) babylover is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) babylover is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) babylover is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) babylover is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) babylover is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) babylover is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Hey just wanted to give you guys a quick update. The first test of the motor attached to wheels does show magnetic resistance under load. Now that I'm confident I can make this beast work, I'm going to get a second axle and a slightly bigger motor and finish the first prototype out of a fully wood frame. ( I have alot of scrap wood) Then once I know the best motor/gearing to use, I'll draw up a steel frame using the Torque Tank m4 as inspiration. I have pictures but unfortunately this site won't let you post pics until you've posted at least 50 times. I guess I better find some things to talk about in other threads..
    Hey man. Any further updates and pictures,?

First prototype

Originally Posted by babylover View Post
    Hey man. Any further updates and pictures,?
    Yea! The guys from armored fitness (XPO) sent me the model of electric motor they use. I think it was $60-70 on ebay. I have pics and can get videos too. Since this site won't let me post URL's yet. I'm thinking I'll make a YouTube video and try to attach the title so you can search it if you want. Still waiting on one more part that will be here this week before I can fully test the whole system. I have high hopes so far.

Tudddz is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Thumbs up Would love to know more

Sounds like you’ve made great progress, I’ve been researching too, and stumbled on this conversation!

Yea! The guys from armored fitness (XPO) sent me the model of electric motor they use. I think it was $60-70 on ebay. I have pics and can get videos too. Since this site won't let me post URL's yet. I'm thinking I'll make a YouTube video and try to attach the title so you can search it if you want. Still waiting on one more part that will be here this week before I can fully test the whole system. I have high hopes so far.

babylover is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) babylover is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) babylover is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) babylover is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) babylover is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) babylover is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) babylover is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) babylover is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) babylover is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) babylover is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) babylover is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    That's freaking awesome.

Maybe try emailing one of us and we can post here?

Firas @ fuzzys . Com . Au

Irebor is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hi which model of electric motor do they use exactly and have you already posted the youtube video?

DutchB1 is not very well liked. (-100) DutchB1 is not very well liked. (-100) DutchB1 is not very well liked. (-100) DutchB1 is not very well liked. (-100) DutchB1 is not very well liked. (-100) DutchB1 is not very well liked. (-100) DutchB1 is not very well liked. (-100) DutchB1 is not very well liked. (-100) DutchB1 is not very well liked. (-100) DutchB1 is not very well liked. (-100) DutchB1 is not very well liked. (-100)
    Just get heavy duty Slastix reistance bands from Stroops and work against that resistance. Far cheaper and good results.
    I shouldve made it more clear. You can definitely walk forward on the treadmills. For me, it would be awkward trying to get into a very low athletic stance to really generate some speed. I'm sure it would work for some peoples needs.

GrrArgh is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Working on it...

Originally Posted by Irebor View Post
    Hi which model of electric motor do they use exactly and have you already posted the youtube video?
    After looking over the videos of the XPO sled on Youtube, I'm pretty confident that the motor in question is the MY1020, made by various Chinese manufacturers, and mostly used for electric scooters -- brushed, not brushless (very important).

What I'm not clear on are the specifications of power and voltage. Anything between 500W and 1000W could be plausible -- I've seen 500, 650, 800 and 1000 -- and I'm not sure it matters if the voltage is 36V, or 48V or whatever else they make.

Any further info, guys??

At a gym with turf and outdoor grass we used a Century Wavemaster. The base is weighted with water and you could use sand to be heavier. Loop a rope around for pulls.
    Originally Posted by GrrArgh View Post
    After looking over the videos of the XPO sled on Youtube, I'm pretty confident that the motor in question is the MY1020, made by various Chinese manufacturers, and mostly used for electric scooters -- brushed, not brushless (very important).

What I'm not clear on are the specifications of power and voltage. Anything between 500W and 1000W could be plausible -- I've seen 500, 650, 800 and 1000 -- and I'm not sure it matters if the voltage is 36V, or 48V or whatever else they make.

Any further info, guys??

Registered User Equipmentjunkie's Avatar
    Equipmentjunkie is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Updates

Any updates on this? Eager to learn more and see if building one myself is a viable option.

Registered User Equipmentjunkie's Avatar
    Equipmentjunkie is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Updates on prototype?

Any updates on any prototypes on this? I’ve been checking out YouTube as well to see if anything gets posted.

GrrArgh is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Motor details and construction tips

The tech guy at XPO answered me in detail:

Yes, the motor is the MY1020.
    The version they use is the 36V 750W, with leads shorted -- that is, directly connected to one another.
    That should be enough to build something like this.

The most useful "build it" video that I found online is the construction of an electrical scooter -- just search Youtube for "Making a Chain Drive Electric Scooter" and you can easily see how similar everything is.

If your goal is to DIY something that works, this should be sufficient.

waynefulano has a spectacular aura about. (+250) waynefulano has a spectacular aura about. (+250) waynefulano has a spectacular aura about. (+250) waynefulano has a spectacular aura about. (+250) waynefulano has a spectacular aura about. (+250) waynefulano has a spectacular aura about. (+250) waynefulano has a spectacular aura about. (+250) waynefulano has a spectacular aura about. (+250) waynefulano has a spectacular aura about. (+250) waynefulano has a spectacular aura about. (+250) waynefulano has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by GrrArgh View Post
    The tech guy at XPO answered me in detail:

Yes, the motor is the MY1020.
    The version they use is the 36V 750W, with leads shorted -- that is, directly connected to one another.
    That should be enough to build something like this.

The most useful "build it" video that I found online is the construction of an electrical scooter -- just search Youtube for "Making a Chain Drive Electric Scooter" and you can easily see how similar everything is.

If your goal is to DIY something that works, this should be sufficient.
    Total electrical noob here...Any suggestions on the size/type of the resistors to use if I wanted to incorporate variable resistance?
    Do you know if spending the extra $10 for the 1000W motor would have any effect on the resistance or would it just provide increased heat dissipation/longevity?
    When I start getting too full of myself, I try to remember that somewhere in China an 11-year-old girl is warming up with my 1RM.

Diy sled prototype

Hey guys so sry for the delay in posting the video. My account on youtube is Chuckwillyduece. I only have one video up so check it out and lmk in the comments what you think!

Originally Posted by Equipmentjunkie View Post
    Any updates on any prototypes on this? I’ve been checking out YouTube as well to see if anything gets posted.

Yea video up now, account on youtube is Chuckwillyduece . Lmk what u think!