Registered User Deep-Voiced-One's Avatar
    Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Mad Spotter Dumbbell Spotter Hooks...

It looks like a resurgence of the old discontinued Power Hooks, they look kinda nice and handy for those who don't want to kick up heavy dumbbells and/or might have shoulder issues doing that.

The only issues are that the price is pretty steep for what they are, won't fit certain make and model DBs and the rubber tips seem to be loose according to reviews...

https://themadspotter.com/products/mad-spotter-hook

If you look them up on Matt Pendergraph's youtube page there's a 10% discount that is good until the 31st.

C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Cool to have something like this back in the market. I never used or tried them but I know a lot of people have looked for something like this over the years. Never seems to be quite as good a solution as imagined but workable.
    ▪█─────█▪ Rogue Barbell Crew #27 ▪█─────█▪

▪█─────█▪ Mech6 Crew #26 ▪█─────█▪

▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #83 ▪█─────█▪

Haven't been able to "rep" many of you for a year or more...not for lack of trying.

Home Gym: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175136471&p=1615740991&viewfull=1#post1615740991

radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Makes me wish someone would come out with an improved version of the now defunct Versaspot. I really wish there was a good rack-mounted solution. These do the job but seem like a workaround rather than a permanent solution. Kinda like kettlegrips.

BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    https://spotgrips.com/product/spot-grips/

A more overpriced modern take on the concept

irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The “ Mad Spotter Hooks” look identical to the power hooks I’ve had for about 15 years. I still use them regularly for heavier DB work and highly recommend them. As for price, I think I paid $40 or $50 for them back when I got them. I removed the Velcro wraps as I didn’t like them and the thin metal that connects the two sides isn’t noticed when gripping them.
    I use these for DB’s and mono hooks for BB benches and my shoulders don’t have the chronic aches and pains they used to.
    Now OK for Sig line to be a novel

Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by irongrandpa View Post
    The “ Mad Spotter Hooks” look identical to the power hooks I’ve had for about 15 years. I still use them regularly for heavier DB work and highly recommend them. As for price, I think I paid $40 or $50 for them back when I got them. I removed the Velcro wraps as I didn’t like them and the thin metal that connects the two sides isn’t noticed when gripping them.
    I use these for DB’s and mono hooks for BB benches and my shoulders don’t have the chronic aches and pains they used to.
    While I never used the Power Hooks in person, nor these, the velcro wraps would be my main gripe since I prefer gripping the actual handles/knurling on DBs (Powerblocks would get a pass too with their rubber grips) and if they have compatibility issues with certain DBs being used. Good thing they don't have to be wrapped on them to use them.

How are the Power Hooks when you have to aim them back to re-rack them on the hooks?

Also when they are re-racked do you find that they move/shift out of place at all from where they are on the bar?

Seems like good affordable fix for those that want to save their shoulders on heavier DB presses.
    Last edited by Deep-Voiced-One; 01-29-2022 at 07:38 PM.

Originally Posted by radrd View Post
    Makes me wish someone would come out with an improved version of the now defunct Versaspot. I really wish there was a good rack-mounted solution. These do the job but seem like a workaround rather than a permanent solution. Kinda like kettlegrips.
    I'm still in for the Mech DB monos to be created lol.

Originally Posted by BiGx5MurF View Post
    https://spotgrips.com/product/spot-grips/

A more overpriced modern take on the concept
    I remember seeing these a while back, but never took a closer look until now...looks like a nice concept and seen these two vids on both DB shoulder pressing and DB press with them...

https://youtu.be/P740479XW2Q

And this...

https://youtu.be/MdCWHCs8Ozg

Only gripe on these are the expense and without using them in person, if the stopping mechanism has an unnatural feel when squeezing them to stop the DBs and if the straps/belts make it feel unnatural pressing with them (example "free weight feel", or "fixed plane feel")...also knock off a few points if this was a sherm, or any of his forum relatives inspired product.
    Last edited by Deep-Voiced-One; 01-29-2022 at 07:43 PM.

MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Deep-Voiced-One View Post
    While I never used the Power Hooks in person, nor these, the velcro wraps would be my main gripe since I prefer gripping the actual handles/knurling on DBs (Powerblocks would get a pass too with their rubber grips) and if they have compatibility issues with certain DBs being used. Good thing they don't have to be wrapped on them to use them.

How are the Power Hooks when you have to aim them back to re-rack them on the hooks?

Also when they are re-racked do you find that they move/shift out of place at all from where they are on the bar?

Seems like good affordable fix for those that want to save their shoulders on heavier DB presses.
    That Velcro created an issue for me . I had pain in my hand from to large a grip circumference wise , so I just took a utility knife and cut the Velcro off .
    I have not had issues since using them without the Velcro , and find there a great investment for me .
    The power hooks make it much easier on my rotators during incline benching .
    I have dropped them and they are damaged , and am looking for replacements, but their discontinued.
    Glad I seen this thread as it looks like there’s new options
    Make Misc great again

irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Like anything new, there’s a little bit of time getting used to it. Same as with mono hooks. But reracking them feels perfectly natural after getting used to using them. They stay right where they’re racked, never had them shift around.
    Now OK for Sig line to be a novel

It looks like these will in fact work with Powerblocks (Sport EXPs which means probably the Pro EXPs too) according to this vid...

https://www.instagram.com/p/CVBe3qYB7S-/

Originally Posted by MajorTendonitis View Post
    That Velcro created an issue for me . I had pain in my hand from to large a grip circumference wise , so I just took a utility knife and cut the Velcro off .
    I have not had issues since using them without the Velcro , and find there a great investment for me .
    The power hooks make it much easier on my rotators during incline benching .
    I have dropped them and they are damaged , and am looking for replacements, but their discontinued.
    Glad I seen this thread as it looks like there’s new options
    You'd probably have to be precise when re-racking on them, but the Mad Spotters appear to be optional to use with, or without the velcro wrap which is a good thing.

Edit: I went ahead and got the Mad Spotters at the discount price to see how they are...thinking of hanging them on the squat bar attachment of my Body-Solid lever arm since my IMs and PBs are in a different room of my home gym.
    Last edited by Deep-Voiced-One; 01-31-2022 at 02:52 PM.

Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Did they buy the patent for power hooks or is this a chinese knockoff? They look exactly the same except with a black coating. I've had my hooks for about 10 years and they are one of those things you forget about and then all of a sudden it's a good idea to work them in again(with pros or hex DBs).
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No 7
    ()---() York Barbell Club #7 ()---()
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #13 []---[]
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #9 -!!!---!!!-

Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Skidmarx View Post
    Did they buy the patent for power hooks or is this a chinese knockoff? They look exactly the same except with a black coating. I've had my hooks for about 10 years and they are one of those things you forget about and then all of a sudden it's a good idea to work them in again(with pros or hex DBs).
    If there actually was a patent then it probably expired by now. I remember these things, in Canada, 20 years ago. Northern Lights still makes them. C$25 right now, in stock, lol.
    ▪█──█▪ Equipment Crew #61 ▪█──█▪

murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I'm still in for the Mech DB monos to be created lol.
    Like Mech could improve on the free-spotter.

/s

Originally Posted by murphyreedus View Post
    Like Mech could improve on the free-spotter.

/s

Yeah, it's hard to compete with ropes and a clip.

*Discreetly egging Mech out of equipment fabbing retirement*

I ended up going with the Ironmaster spotting stands that adjust that KBKB reviewed some years back, just seems like a better setup out of some of the other options which all have their pros and cons and reserves some energy for the actual movement(s). I'll see if these live up to the hype and report back on them.

Edit: Mad Spotters customer service is excellent, I messaged them about the compatibility issue with the version 1 hooks and they're sending me out the version 2 hooks which are narrower at no charge.

I'll test these out and see how they feel using them and if they're somewhat useful I might return the IM spotting stands, or keep both depending on what I utilize each one for and ease of setup.

IM spotting stands can hold up to 130 lb per DB (not sure if this is just a modest number they have to put out, or if someone has used heavier DBs with this design), but they also support PBs which is a plus.

While the Mad Spotter hooks hold up to 170 lbs per DB.
    Last edited by Deep-Voiced-One; 04-29-2022 at 07:08 AM.

Bumping this thread to see that the Mad Spotters now sell a Mad Spotter Pro version with what appears to be a knurl half shell to unrack with the hooks...looks like a pretty ingenius upgrade.

What I'd like to see is if they could fit 2" thick loadable DB handles, or if they could work on a design to fit them...I have my setup good as is, but wouldn't mind having something setup to utilize those every now and then.

murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Bumping this thread to see that the Mad Spotters now sell a Mad Spotter Pro version with what appears to be a knurl half shell to unrack with the hooks...looks like a pretty ingenius upgrade.

What I'd like to see is if they could fit 2" thick loadable DB handles, or if they could work on a design to fit them...I have my setup good as is, but wouldn't mind having something setup to utilize those every now and then.

I bought the Pros and use them with my Ironmasters. I like them a lot for setting up heavier standing overhead DB press. I find that the knurled bottom disappears from my mind while I'm lifting with them, which is nice.

I have some 2" thick grip oly handle DBs, and they will NOT work with the Mad Spotter Pros.

Originally Posted by murphyreedus View Post
    I bought the Pros and use them with my Ironmasters. I like them a lot for setting up heavier standing overhead DB press. I find that the knurled bottom disappears from my mind while I'm lifting with them, which is nice.

I have some 2" thick grip oly handle DBs, and they will NOT work with the Mad Spotter Pros.
    Thanks for the info Murph, I might message Mad Spotter and see if they would make ones to accommodate 2" DBs. It's not a big deal, but my DB setup is in a different space of the house due to limited garage space for my rack area, so I thought I'd occasionally use my loadable DBs for pressing in the garage to save a bit of setup time and utilize the thicker grips from time to time.

thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Yeah, it's hard to compete with ropes and a clip.

*Discreetly egging Mech out of equipment fabbing retirement*

I ended up going with the Ironmaster spotting stands that adjust that KBKB reviewed some years back, just seems like a better setup out of some of the other options which all have their pros and cons and reserves some energy for the actual movement(s). I'll see if these live up to the hype and report back on them.

Edit: Mad Spotters customer service is excellent, I messaged them about the compatibility issue with the version 1 hooks and they're sending me out the version 2 hooks which are narrower at no charge.

I'll test these out and see how they feel using them and if they're somewhat useful I might return the IM spotting stands, or keep both depending on what I utilize each one for and ease of setup.

IM spotting stands can hold up to 130 lb per DB (not sure if this is just a modest number they have to put out, or if someone has used heavier DBs with this design), but they also support PBs which is a plus.

While the Mad Spotter hooks hold up to 170 lbs per DB.
    Did you end up getting and keeping the IM adjustable spotting stands? If so do you like them? I've thought about getting them but they're expensive and it just doesn't look like a it'd be easy to unrack or rerack the dumbbells. I've got the original PowerHooks and just never found a comfort spot with using them.
    "It is my own fault for replying in a smith thread." deadwoodgregg

Ordained Minister of Perpetual Consumption and all around righteous dude.

My home gym pictures: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175136471&p=1632857623&viewfull=1#post1632857623

My workout journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=120169181

Originally Posted by thedickus View Post
    Did you end up getting and keeping the IM adjustable spotting stands? If so do you like them? I've thought about getting them but they're expensive and it just doesn't look like a it'd be easy to unrack or rerack the dumbbells. I've got the original PowerHooks and just never found a comfort spot with using them.
    I kept them, I just got around to putting them together last week and gonna try them out tomorrow on my upper day and will report back with how natural they feel to unrack and rerack.

radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I kept them, I just got around to putting them together last week and gonna try them out tomorrow on my upper day and will report back with how natural they feel to unrack and rerack.
    Thanks in advance for letting us know on these. Looks like my DBs would fit perfectly but not sure it's worth the space they'd take up.

donaldgarner is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Go with their new pro model if you do purchase. They are way more comfortable than the older Power Hooks. Check out Matt Pendergraph's website as he has a decent written review showing plenty of close up pics of both versions. I have not tried the other version mad spotter sells, but I think they look about as uncomfortable as the original power hooks

I tested them with both a warm up set and working sets of incline DB bench today and my initial thoughts on them are positive, they certainly live up to their name as far as a good lift off is concerned (the idea is to tilt them towards you to unrack and push back into position) and energy isn't expended as much unlike when you gotta kick them up to set up.

The adjustments are very easy to set, it's your typical 12 gauge steel with pop-pin screw style adjustment so nothing special...but it works. Putting the DBs back in you have to be mindful and in control of the rerack on the way up, but found it to be fine. You'll definitely mark up the rubber from the rerack since there's a bit of a slam going into the trays (that's what it's there for).

The negatives are the price and space it takes up compared to the hooks and you have to sit with your feet between the steel support on the ground that support the trays when the bench is in there, it's good to be mindful when walking around the beam after your sets are done. I tested these with both my Powerblock Pros (the warm up set and on incline DB chest fly) and IM DBs (the heavy working sets) and had enough energy to push for 2-3 extra reps each set today.

It's easy to take the bench out when not in use (stepped down on the steel beam and lifted the bench out). All in all I like it and will definitely utilize it for all my DB pressing, gonna test it in the decline position soon.

On spread. Thanks for the impressions. Space is at a premium and the IM spotter probably won't be on my list unless we move, but good to know it works as advertised. Fingers crossed Mech6 or someone will come up with amazing DB monolift attachments or something rack mounted.

thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I tested them with both a warm up set and working sets of incline DB bench today and my initial thoughts on them are positive, they certainly live up to their name as far as a good lift off is concerned (the idea is to tilt them towards you to unrack and push back into position) and energy isn't expended as much unlike when you gotta kick them up to set up.

The adjustments are very easy to set, it's your typical 12 gauge steel with pop-pin screw style adjustment so nothing special...but it works. Putting the DBs back in you have to be mindful and in control of the rerack on the way up, but found it to be fine. You'll definitely mark up the rubber from the rerack since there's a bit of a slam going into the trays (that's what it's there for).

The negatives are the price and space it takes up compared to the hooks and you have to sit with your feet between the steel support on the ground that support the trays when the bench is in there, it's good to be mindful when walking around the beam after your sets are done. I tested these with both my Powerblock Pros (the warm up set and on incline DB chest fly) and IM DBs (the heavy working sets) and had enough energy to push for 2-3 extra reps each set today.

It's easy to take the bench out when not in use (stepped down on the steel beam and lifted the bench out). All in all I like it and will definitely utilize it for all my DB pressing, gonna test it in the decline position soon.
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Deep-Voiced-One again.

Thanks for the info. It looks like the unracking of the dumbbells would be fairly easy, you have gravity on your side. I'm worried about the reracking of the dumbbells. If you feared you'd fail getting heavier ones back into the holders do you still have the option of putting them on your knees and just "falling forward" to stand up, or would the dumbbell holders and support posts get in the way? That would be my biggest fear of using them. They are expensive, but I do like the option of getting the barbell holders that go in the base unit. You can turn them inwards it looks like to use them with a regular non-rackable EZ Curl bar for doing close grip benches. That's my preferred way of doing them, I just don't have anything with close upright supports. I don't like the idea of a rackable EZ Curl bar, I feel I'd lose the feeling of tightness and control when doing close grip presses like I have when using a short EZ Curl bar.
    My biggest problem with the PowerHooks I have is that I feel like you have to move the dumbbells back behind your head to rerack them on the bar. If I were to miss I can see really screwing up my shoulders.

My home gym pictures: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175136471&p=1632857623&viewfull=1#post1632857623

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Deep-Voiced-One again.

Thanks for the info. It looks like the unracking of the dumbbells would be fairly easy, you have gravity on your side. I'm worried about the reracking of the dumbbells. If you feared you'd fail getting heavier ones back into the holders do you still have the option of putting them on your knees and just "falling forward" to stand up, or would the dumbbell holders and support posts get in the way? That would be my biggest fear of using them. They are expensive, but I do like the option of getting the barbell holders that go in the base unit. You can turn them inwards it looks like to use them with a regular non-rackable EZ Curl bar for doing close grip benches. That's my preferred way of doing them, I just don't have anything with close upright supports. I don't like the idea of a rackable EZ Curl bar, I feel I'd lose the feeling of tightness and control when doing close grip presses like I have when using a short EZ Curl bar.
    My biggest problem with the PowerHooks I have is that I feel like you have to move the dumbbells back behind your head to rerack them on the bar. If I were to miss I can see really screwing up my shoulders.

When the next upper day rolls around I'll test if I could bring the DBs to my knees the traditional way after a set, I'll start light first to see how the DBs fit between the trays if it's possible with the add-on then I'll see how a working set looks.

That's a great idea on the barbell support add-on, I also have a non-rackable EZ curl bar and prefer it over the rackable version (I bought a 2.5" thick rackable from BWTG a few years back and while it's easier on the elbows and wrists I find it a bit unwieldy and just kinda takes up space).

I could see the barbell supports being a good unracking point for skullcrushers/lying triceps extensions and overhead triceps extensions seated facing the uprights.
    Last edited by Deep-Voiced-One; 07-19-2022 at 03:02 PM.

Quick update, I tested bringing the DBs to the knees after a warm up set with the trays set up on inclines with the IM spotting stands setup and it's too narrow from tray to tray to properly bring them to the knees (the warm up set was fine bringing it back to the knees, but awkward and cramped and I don't see the method going well on a heavy working set).

I gotta play around with the angles horizontally since the tray adjust slots can be slightly angled out and inward to see if that could work, otherwise the next racking method I'm gonna try is lowering the DBs at the bottom after each set and bring them towards the trays and tilt/stand them back in there the same way you'd tilt them out each set.

All in all, the starting position is excellent and I definitely get good extra quality reps from not expending as much energy to get the DBs into place and ready to press, re-racking them is what I'm still looking to perfect which my original instinct was to control them somewhat at the top and kind of landed them in...I'm definitely gonna try the lowering and tilt/re-rack method which KBKB had mentioned in a past thread a ways back.

The most ideal solution though is of course Mech's DB monos which he just hasn't worked on yet lol.

Quick update, I tested bringing the DBs to the knees after a warm up set with the trays set up on inclines with the IM spotting stands setup and it's too narrow from tray to tray to properly bring them to the knees (the warm up set was fine bringing it back to the knees, but awkward and cramped and I don't see the method going well on a heavy working set).

I gotta play around with the angles horizontally since the tray adjust slots can be slightly angled out and inward to see if that could work, otherwise the next racking method I'm gonna try is lowering the DBs at the bottom after each set and bring them towards the trays and tilt/stand them back in there the same way you'd tilt them out each set.

All in all, the starting position is excellent and I definitely get good extra quality reps from not expending as much energy to get the DBs into place and ready to press, re-racking them is what I'm still looking to perfect which my original instinct was to control them somewhat at the top and kind of landed them in...I'm definitely gonna try the lowering and tilt/re-rack method which KBKB had mentioned in a past thread a ways back.

The most ideal solution though is of course Mech's DB monos which he just hasn't worked on yet lol.
    Thanks for taking time to test that out. Sounds like it could be done as a last resort, but I guess practicing putting them back the KBKB is probably the way to go. These are something I may explore later in the year.