Baxter88s has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

I'm back again after many years away, SLOW weight loss!!

Hi All,

I'm back again, this time focused with a completely different mindset.

So my current stats are:

Weight: 288lb
    Body Fat: 37%
    Muscle Mass: 60.1%

Using legion fitness macro calc, my split is currently:

Calories: 2,488
    Protein: 249 g/day
    Carbs: 187 g/day
    Fat: 83 g/day

I've been training for around 2 months now with 4 lifting days and 2/3 cardio days, I've noticed I'm not losing loads of weight around 2lbs a week, however, I'm noticing a real shift in body fat & muscle mass percentage.

In my recent weigh in I lost 3.4% in body fat and gained 3.2% in muscle mass, is this normal? Is it normally that close?

I typically hit the protein goal every day and am just under on the fat & carbs.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    2lbs a week is more than I was expecting from 2500 calories... So you must be burning 3500 each day which is not bad going.

I'm guessing you used a BIA device to measure your body composition. We usually get at least one or two threads every day from people confused by numbers produced from these devices.

My advice is ignore what that machine says. Gaining muscle while dieting can happen but is likely very slow = much more likely that the machine is wrong. Read this if you need convincing:

https://weightology.net/the-pitfalls...impedance-bia/

You could reduce your calories a bit and safely lose weight faster. Perhaps go to 2200 cals.

Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    2lbs a week is more than I was expecting from 2500 calories... So you must be burning 3500 each day which is not bad going.

I'm guessing you used a BIA device to measure your body composition. We usually get at least one or two threads every day from people confused by numbers produced from these devices.

My advice is ignore what that machine says. Gaining muscle while dieting can happen but is likely very slow = much more likely that the machine is wrong. Read this if you need convincing:

You could reduce your calories a bit and safely lose weight faster. Perhaps go to 2200 cals.
    Yea so on avg, although I hit the protein goal I still have around 500cals left over at the end of the day.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Baxter88s View Post
    Yea so on avg, although I hit the protein goal I still have around 500cals left over at the end of the day.
    So maybe your maintenance level is closer to 3000 cals then.

I would be happy with 2lbs a week, I know it seems a long way to go, you can safely reduce calories quite low when you have a lot of weight to lose without risking muscle loss. You'll have to find a level you are comfortable with for the long haul.

Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    So maybe your maintenance level is closer to 3000 cals then.

I would be happy with 2lbs a week, I know it seems a long way to go, you can safely reduce calories quite low when you have a lot of weight to lose without risking muscle loss. You'll have to find a level you are comfortable with for the long haul.
    Ok, I'll take a look at my cals.

Is there a calculator that you'd recommend?

Train hard play harder Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    At your weight don't get hung up on what the devices say about body composition as they're very unreliable especially when you have so much fat. 2 lbs a week is good however if you're handling it ok go down to 2,000. Diet down on the fewest calories you can perform on without compromising NEAT. Just make sure you get in enough protein (1G per lb of LEAN weight). On 2K cals you'll most likely have enough fat in your diet to not worry much about it.
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

Originally Posted by Baxter88s View Post
    Ok, I'll take a look at my cals.

Is there a calculator that you'd recommend?
    No need, results from real life always supersede the educated guess you get from a calculator.

Perhaps tighten up your counting so you know to within 100 calories what you are getting each day. Remember to weigh in every morning so that you have enough data points to see past the day to day noise you get from shifts in water weight.

Darkius is a name known to all. (+5000) Darkius is a name known to all. (+5000) Darkius is a name known to all. (+5000) Darkius is a name known to all. (+5000) Darkius is a name known to all. (+5000) Darkius is a name known to all. (+5000) Darkius is a name known to all. (+5000) Darkius is a name known to all. (+5000) Darkius is a name known to all. (+5000) Darkius is a name known to all. (+5000) Darkius is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Op was gone a long time (only 2 months),
    Been doing a SLOW weight loss (2 pounds per week has me beat),
    Comes here to ask if his very recent gain of muscle past week is normal (I'm guessing a body composition scale was used)
    Strong everything, but the regular experts took it in stride.

Op, congrats on losing 16 pounds and maybe gaining some muscle.
    Novice lifter who sticks to the basics 3x per week but likes to theorize about improvements while recovering.

Darkius is a name known to all. (+5000) Darkius is a name known to all. (+5000) Darkius is a name known to all. (+5000) Darkius is a name known to all. (+5000) Darkius is a name known to all. (+5000) Darkius is a name known to all. (+5000) Darkius is a name known to all. (+5000) Darkius is a name known to all. (+5000) Darkius is a name known to all. (+5000) Darkius is a name known to all. (+5000) Darkius is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I can't edit my post above, but I now see op was gone for years but is talking about the recent two months.
    What threw me off was that 2 pounds per week and 3.4% body weight and 2 months don't add up.
    Novice lifter who sticks to the basics 3x per week but likes to theorize about improvements while recovering.

tadpole25 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tadpole25 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tadpole25 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tadpole25 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tadpole25 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tadpole25 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tadpole25 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tadpole25 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tadpole25 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tadpole25 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tadpole25 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I used to be 300+ lbs; I lost 60 lbs in the past 6 months. You're doing well and will hit your goals.

Slow weight loss is fine. When I first started, I made smaller changes (i.e. only a 500 calorie deficit instead of 1000). This way it wasn't too much of a shock and I didn't feel too deprived. It was something I felt like I could stick to. But then once I started seeing results, that motivated me to go to a 1000 calorie deficit and lose weight faster.