bglinkerman is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Rep vs Titan vs Fray Functional Trainer

I'm in the process of building out my home gym and would like to get a functional trainer. I've come across 3 in the $2-2.5k range that I'm interested in but have no experience with any of the brands. They are:

Rep FT-5000 ($2300):
    * 2:1 ratio
    * 11 gauge steel frame
    * Dual 220 lb weight stacks
    * Machine weight: 1,001 lbs
    * Fiberglass re-enforced pulleys
    * 12 selectable positions
    * Height: 84"

Titan ($2500):
    * Dual 200 lb weight stacks
    * Machine weight: 672 lbs
    * Anodized aluminum pulleys
    * 19 selectable positions
    * Comes with 7 attachments (Short and Long Bar, Ankle Strap, Dual Stirrup Handles, Rope Handles, Single and Double D-Handles)
    * Height: 82"

Fray ($1998):
    * 11 gauge steel frame
    * Dual 198 lb weight stacks
    * Machine weight: 910 lbs
    * Steel pulleys
    * Solid guide rods
    * 11 selectable positions
    * Height: 90"

I'm trying to get any thoughts from anyone who has experience with these units. At the moment, I think I have rolled out the Fray unit as I saw a review on YouTube where the guy said it didn't feel that the left and rights side were even (left side felt heavier than the right) and he showed that the weight stack selector rod would clip the edge of the weight stack on every repetition. That being said, that may have just been his unit...it also looks like he has an older Fray unit as some of the hardware has changed.

I can't decide between the Rep and the Titan. The Titan has more selectable positions, aluminum puellys, and comes with the 7 attachment handles. However, it is a little shorter, has a slightly lighter weight stack and is significantly lighter. It also doesn't specify what gauge of steel the frame is made of (I sent an email to their customer service but have not heard back yet). One other think I like about the Titan is the unit is a little closer to 90 degrees so it will fit more snugly into a corner than the Rep will (at least from pics).

The Rep on the other hand is significantly heavier (325 pounds) for a unit that is approx the same size which tells me it may be built with thicker steel or more steel and thus, be more "commercial grade." Its weight stacks are also 20 pounds heavier and the unit is slightly taller (my understanding is it is even taller than 84" because that does not include the pullup bar which is a few inches more). The downside is it uses fiberglass pulleys instead of steel/aluminum and only has 12 positions.

Anyone have any guidance or suggestions for me?

radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I'd probably go with the Inspire FTX from Costco or go higher end like Inspire FT2, Cyber Bravo, or Prime.

bglinkerman is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'll have a look at those.

Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000)
    In that price range I also think the Inspire FTX is your best bet. Smoother than the others for sure.

C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by radrd View Post
    I'd probably go with the Inspire FTX from Costco or go higher end like Inspire FT2, Cyber Bravo, or Prime.
    This is the prevailing opinion on the forum these days and it's a pretty educated bunch. Inspire FTX is basically a very inexpensive (price wise) FT1. Super smooth and everything you really need. Heavier weight stack on the FTX you can buy from Inspire FT1 rods and cables and expansion weight stacks which is not at all inexpensive or you just go the Gym Pin route and make it easy. A lot of us own FTX, FT1s, and have compared. Crazy deal.

If you want to go higher and step up you really do need to go much bigger and into Bravo, Prime etc...territory which is full commercial and best in class units. Basically the FTX/FT1 owns the entire value proposition in FTs until you get to the top.
    ▪█─────█▪ Rogue Barbell Crew #27 ▪█─────█▪

▪█─────█▪ Mech6 Crew #26 ▪█─────█▪

Haven't been able to "rep" many of you for a year or more...not for lack of trying.

Home Gym: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175136471&p=1615740991&viewfull=1#post1615740991

jdboyd78 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdboyd78 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdboyd78 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdboyd78 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdboyd78 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdboyd78 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdboyd78 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdboyd78 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdboyd78 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdboyd78 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdboyd78 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by C123C View Post
    This is the prevailing opinion on the forum these days and it's a pretty educated bunch. Inspire FTX is basically a very inexpensive (price wise) FT1. Super smooth and everything you really need. Heavier weight stack on the FTX you can buy from Inspire FT1 rods and cables and expansion weight stacks which is not at all inexpensive or you just go the Gym Pin route and make it easy. A lot of us own FTX, FT1s, and have compared. Crazy deal.

If you want to go higher and step up you really do need to go much bigger and into Bravo, Prime etc...territory which is full commercial and best in class units. Basically the FTX/FT1 owns the entire value proposition in FTs until you get to the top.
    Do Gym Pins work well on a FT? I don't think I'd put any really heavy weight on them, but I might need a bit more than the FTX has, but can't justify spending a whole lot. Just concerned about warping/bending. This will be virtually all for accessory work, main lifts will be in my rack w/ barbell and my Ironmasters. Would love a FT for flys, shoulder raises, curls, etc.

C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by jdboyd78 View Post
    Do Gym Pins work well on a FT? I don't think I'd put any really heavy weight on them, but I might need a bit more than the FTX has, but can't justify spending a whole lot. Just concerned about warping/bending. This will be virtually all for accessory work, main lifts will be in my rack w/ barbell and my Ironmasters. Would love a FT for flys, shoulder raises, curls, etc.
    I train a lot like you do and find the FTX stacks to be just fine. My heavy work is barbell, dumbbell, etc...If really loading up the FTX with a lot of weight on gym pins I'd probably opt for 2 pins on each stack so you could equally load front/back and not risk deforming the bars with the stack pulling hard one way or another. Honestly after using the FTX - I have yet to seriously consider GymPins. From what you wrote in your training, big heavy pressing movements that might require more weight are going to be done elsewhere similar to me. Honestly I've done overhead and incline presses and have yet to come close to maxing out the stacks (haven't tried but I think you'll find them adequate).
    ▪█─────█▪ Rogue Barbell Crew #27 ▪█─────█▪

▪█─────█▪ Mech6 Crew #26 ▪█─────█▪

Haven't been able to "rep" many of you for a year or more...not for lack of trying.

Home Gym: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175136471&p=1615740991&viewfull=1#post1615740991

RGrizzzz is just really nice. (+1000) RGrizzzz is just really nice. (+1000) RGrizzzz is just really nice. (+1000) RGrizzzz is just really nice. (+1000) RGrizzzz is just really nice. (+1000) RGrizzzz is just really nice. (+1000) RGrizzzz is just really nice. (+1000) RGrizzzz is just really nice. (+1000) RGrizzzz is just really nice. (+1000) RGrizzzz is just really nice. (+1000) RGrizzzz is just really nice. (+1000)
    My local Costco has an assembled FTX as of two weeks ago. Go try it out, if you have a store close by! Bonus points if you go do a full workout.
    ||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #44 ||---||

radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by RGrizzzz View Post
    My local Costco has an assembled FTX as of two weeks ago. Go try it out, if you have a store close by! Bonus points if you go do a full workout.
    I'll throw in reps for sure if there's video.

Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by C123C View Post
    If really loading up the FTX with a lot of weight on gym pins I'd probably opt for 2 pins on each stack so you could equally load front/back and not risk deforming the bars with the stack pulling hard one way or another.
    +1 on this. The cables themselves are generally rated for 2,000 lbs, so as long as the weight is evenly distributed you load it up to your heart's content.