Reply
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Registered User 8P9S's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2022
    Age: 52
    Posts: 5
    Rep Power: 0
    8P9S is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    8P9S is offline

    New Home Workout Needed

    Hi all,

    New here as I didn't really know where to turn to be honest and although some of the things I will say are probably against everything a lot of people here stand for, I think there will definitely be some advice and guidance that can hellp me if the right people see this post.

    In short - I need a new workout.

    I am about 6'4" and used to be almost 290lbs, this was a while ago and I've been able to consistently get down very slightly under 200lbs. Primarily through a significant calorie deficit, a ten-year-old home workout DVD and a little bit of team sports.

    It's gotten to a point now where I want to take a step forwards and tone the weightloss. I don't think I need to lose more, just tighten and improve on the look, primarily the obvious problem area - the stomach/upper body, and I just don't think the workout I've been doing is right to get there.

    Ultimately, I play team sports two days a week so I'd like to find an instructional video or multiple that I can do three days a week for an hour each that will help me take another step forwards.

    I'll note that I really struggle and don't enjoy being in a gym setting hence asking for video(s). I find it much easier to stay on track with direct instruction I need to keep up with than I do just having a list of exercises and timing my break periods. I know a lot of you here love the gym and that's great but there's got to be some videos that are good right?

    Thanks for any direction and if there is anything that needs further clarity, I'm happy to offer more info.
    Last edited by 8P9S; 01-18-2022 at 06:28 AM.
    Reply With Quote

  2. #2
    Registered User air2fakie's Avatar
    Join Date: Jul 2019
    Age: 52
    Posts: 6,748
    Rep Power: 22795
    air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    air2fakie is offline
    Originally Posted by 8P9S View Post
    New here as I didn't really know where to turn to be honest and although some of the things I will say are probably against everything a lot of people here stand for, I think there will definitely be some advice and guidance that can hellp me if the right people see this post.
    What exactly do people here stand for?
    Reply With Quote

  3. #3
    Registered User 8P9S's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2022
    Age: 52
    Posts: 5
    Rep Power: 0
    8P9S is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    8P9S is offline
    Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    What exactly do people here stand for?
    As further down my post, mention I don't enjoy/really struggle in a gym setting.

    Wanted to mention that to avoid responses telling me I'd do better just going to a gym.
    Reply With Quote

  4. #4
    Moderator SuffolkPunch's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2007
    Location: Suffolk, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    Posts: 54,005
    Rep Power: 1336604
    SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    SuffolkPunch is offline
    You can train at home if you prefer but you will need some equipment and I don't know of a video which is suited to this particular goal - i.e. improving body composition - which is no different to what we are trying to do. The important thing to note is that muscle gain requires enough resistance and won't happen in a typical cardio based exercise video. It is possible with bodyweight based stuff (callisthenics) but this is harder to achieve than using free weights - and the process is already difficult enough without throwing extra obstacles in the way.

    Maybe have a look at this:

    https://www.strongerbyscience.com/no-gym/
    Reply With Quote

  5. #5
    Registered User air2fakie's Avatar
    Join Date: Jul 2019
    Age: 52
    Posts: 6,748
    Rep Power: 22795
    air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    air2fakie is offline
    Originally Posted by 8P9S View Post
    As further down my post, mention I don't enjoy/really struggle in a gym setting.

    Wanted to mention that to avoid responses telling me I'd do better just going to a gym.
    OK, thanks for clarifying. There probably won't be any good "workout with me" type instructional videos involving muscle building, since even if you're just doing bodyweight exercises you would need to be increasing reps, adding weight incrementally to your body, etc. So you can't do the "Sweatin' to the Oldies" cardio type workout where you just do exactly what the jazzy instructor says and for the exact same amount of time, and repeat every workout.

    Maybe buying new "smart" or streaming home gym equipment would be a compromise for you, if you're willing to spend the $. Or just hire a reputable trainer at a gym to tell you what to do every workout.
    Reply With Quote

  6. #6
    Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    Join Date: Aug 2019
    Posts: 4,650
    Rep Power: 28580
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    TolerantLactose is online now
    It doesn't sound like you really know what it is you're looking for. A gym isn't a religion or an ideology. It's a place with training equipment. I bought much of the same equipment so I'm training at home. Your choice of gym or video is a really odd way to frame your problem.

    It sounds like you need to build muscle. A gym is far from the only option but I've never seen a follow-along video that accomplishes that.
    Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

    You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep others warm.
    Unknown
    Reply With Quote

  7. #7
    Registered User 8P9S's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2022
    Age: 52
    Posts: 5
    Rep Power: 0
    8P9S is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    8P9S is offline
    Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    OK, thanks for clarifying. There probably won't be any good "workout with me" type instructional videos involving muscle building, since even if you're just doing bodyweight exercises you would need to be increasing reps, adding weight incrementally to your body, etc. So you can't do the "Sweatin' to the Oldies" cardio type workout where you just do exactly what the jazzy instructor says and for the exact same amount of time, and repeat every workout.

    Maybe buying new "smart" or streaming home gym equipment would be a compromise for you, if you're willing to spend the $. Or just hire a reputable trainer at a gym to tell you what to do every workout.
    What is this new equipment?

    I'm reluctant on the gym itself because it's a 30min trip there and back plus in the past I've just found myself really depressed in that environment. I find it really uninspiring unfortunately and spend every minute counting down. At home I save an hour of travel as well as being in my own space.
    Reply With Quote

  8. #8
    Registered User 8P9S's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2022
    Age: 52
    Posts: 5
    Rep Power: 0
    8P9S is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    8P9S is offline
    Originally Posted by TolerantLactose View Post
    It doesn't sound like you really know what it is you're looking for. A gym isn't a religion or an ideology. It's a place with training equipment. I bought much of the same equipment so I'm training at home. Your choice of gym or video is a really odd way to frame your problem.

    It sounds like you need to build muscle. A gym is far from the only option but I've never seen a follow-along video that accomplishes that.
    Agreed. All I know what I'm looking for is a set of exercises that can help me have a better appearance especially in the stomach area. Whether Calisthenics or whatever, I really don't know. Didn't know if there were any programs online or that others have found useful in taking the first steps past fat and towards flat.

    I'm not necessarily looking to get big or ripped, just... better. I just don't enjoy being in the gym environment at all and during my weightloss have found videos a useful tool.
    Reply With Quote

  9. #9
    Registered User sunsean's Avatar
    Join Date: Oct 2009
    Age: 42
    Posts: 4,570
    Rep Power: 46686
    sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    sunsean is offline
    What you are looking for is resistance training (to build muscle, improve body comp and thus "tighten up.") Being "toned" is just the combination of muscle mass and low body fat.

    Bare minimum for a decent home workout is a couple of dumbbells and a bench IMO. You'll need either a range of dumbbells, adjustable dumbbells, or a traditional plate-based system. You will start out with a light weight and progressively lift heavier over time. This combined with dips/pullups you'll be able to hit your whole body including squats and lunges for your legs. At a certain point you will be limited by the weights you have available, but I'm guessing it'll take a while to get there.
    Reply With Quote

  10. #10
    Registered User air2fakie's Avatar
    Join Date: Jul 2019
    Age: 52
    Posts: 6,748
    Rep Power: 22795
    air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    air2fakie is offline
    Originally Posted by 8P9S View Post
    What is this new equipment?

    I'm reluctant on the gym itself because it's a 30min trip there and back plus in the past I've just found myself really depressed in that environment. I find it really uninspiring unfortunately and spend every minute counting down. At home I save an hour of travel as well as being in my own space.
    They have a talking mirror, a small wall mounted gym with two little arms, electronically adjustable dbs. I’m assuming all can be somewhat interactive between streaming and apps. But I think you’ll fall short of your goals if you’re not willing to find some minor level of enjoyment or ownership of your workouts - regardless of equipment and whether you’re in the gym or at home.
    Reply With Quote

  11. #11
    Registered User 8P9S's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2022
    Age: 52
    Posts: 5
    Rep Power: 0
    8P9S is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    8P9S is offline
    Originally Posted by sunsean View Post
    What you are looking for is resistance training (to build muscle, improve body comp and thus "tighten up.") Being "toned" is just the combination of muscle mass and low body fat.

    Bare minimum for a decent home workout is a couple of dumbbells and a bench IMO. You'll need either a range of dumbbells, adjustable dumbbells, or a traditional plate-based system. You will start out with a light weight and progressively lift heavier over time. This combined with dips/pullups you'll be able to hit your whole body including squats and lunges for your legs. At a certain point you will be limited by the weights you have available, but I'm guessing it'll take a while to get there.
    I have some adjustable dumbells which aren't particularly great for maxed out weight or anything. I can lift more than they are but they're... something. Also don't have a bench but do have a very sturdy table that is much the same height if that could double up. More than content to replace and add some resistence bands too if I know they'll get me where I want to end up

    I can't post pictures here yet as a new member but even most of the way to Luke Evans in Girl on The Train (1996) would do nicely.
    Reply With Quote

  12. #12
    Registered User PissChugger's Avatar
    Join Date: Nov 2021
    Age: 52
    Posts: 41
    Rep Power: 0
    PissChugger is on a distinguished road. (+10) PissChugger is on a distinguished road. (+10) PissChugger is on a distinguished road. (+10) PissChugger is on a distinguished road. (+10) PissChugger is on a distinguished road. (+10) PissChugger is on a distinguished road. (+10) PissChugger is on a distinguished road. (+10) PissChugger is on a distinguished road. (+10) PissChugger is on a distinguished road. (+10) PissChugger is on a distinguished road. (+10) PissChugger is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    PissChugger is offline
    Do pushups, pike pushups, pullups, and inverted rows. Workout 3x/week, increase total repetitions on each exercise every workout.
    You could warm up to a maximum effort top set(do as many reps as you can) then follow it up with 2 sets at 80% of that first effort. Keep adding reps to that top set and eventually you can add more sets, do harder variations, or add weight using your dumbbells. Search up videos on how to do pushups and **** most people suck at them.
    Reply With Quote

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts