gbell3587 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Hello - im new & would like some feedback

Stats
    Age – 34
    Weight (70.5kgs or 155.5lbs)
    Height – 5’7 or 170cms
    Current Macros
    Calories – 2200
    Carbs - 248
    Protein – 138
    Fat - 73

Hello, im new!

Im looking for some advise or comments – ive recently lost a lot of weight over the last 9 months (16kgs or 35lbs) & happy with how my jeans and shirts are fitting however I want to gain some muscle now but without bulking and turning into a fatty (I chucked away all my other clothes that no longer fit!).
    Heres my current program – on weights, im lifting 3 sets on 4 exercises on each muscle group & working in hypertrophy so 8-12 reps. Each week, im increasing the weight/reps for progressive overload (2-5 kgs depending on muscle group).

Going by mr BMR and TDEE, my maintenance calories should prob be higher – like 2400 range, however im anxious about increasing these ut know I prob should. Looking for some feedback, im sure there are many experiences out there with this so any thoughts are appreciated – good or bad. Along with my current stats and macros, here is my current workout plan
    Mon – 30 min HIIT Spin class then 20 mins Core
    Tues – Bi’s & Back
    Wed – Body pump (low weights, high reps until fail)
    Thurs – Rest
    Fri – 45 min Spin class & 20 min Core
    Sat – Legs and Core
    Sun – Chest, Tris and Shoulders

Look forward to the comments
    Cheers
    Graham

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    The good news is that you don't have to bulk to gain muscle but you do have to flirt with a calorie surplus to maintain an anabolic environment. This required continued control over your calorie intake. You can try to maintain your weight and make progress in the gym but for the sake of avoiding spinning your wheels and getting nowhere, you should probably expect to put on weight slowly (after all muscle has weight).

Also, a change in diet to add more foods will increase your weight in the short term and add a little extra water or bloating - so don't panic if this happens. Remember that real fat gain is always explainable by a large calorie surplus (7700 EXTRA calories per kg gained).

As for routine, I would focus on a novice routine from the sticky threads. Some of what you are doing like HIIT is not conducive to muscle gain although some lower intensity cardio can help with ancillary goals like heart health whilst not getting in the way of recovery from weight training too much (unlike HIIT)

gbell3587 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    The good news is that you don't have to bulk to gain muscle but you do have to flirt with a calorie surplus to maintain an anabolic environment. This required continued control over your calorie intake. You can try to maintain your weight and make progress in the gym but for the sake of avoiding spinning your wheels and getting nowhere, you should probably expect to put on weight slowly (after all muscle has weight).

Also, a change in diet to add more foods will increase your weight in the short term and add a little extra water or bloating - so don't panic if this happens. Remember that real fat gain is always explainable by a large calorie surplus (7700 EXTRA calories per kg gained).

As for routine, I would focus on a novice routine from the sticky threads. Some of what you are doing like HIIT is not conducive to muscle gain although some lower intensity cardio can help with ancillary goals like heart health whilst not getting in the way of recovery from weight training too much (unlike HIIT)
    Thanks for the feedback, i think i'll increase my calories to be in a slight surplus. I drink around 2.5-3L of water per day and take 3-5g creatine, so im expecting my weight to fluctuate & increase as i store more water- im not worried about that......as long as my belly doesnt come back, thats my main concern with increasing food intake!

Noted on the HIIT stuff, i can swap this out for a more gentle cardio while weight training. Ive been doing these spin classes and HIIT's for the last 9 months, just got used to it.....but i guess thats when i was focused on losing overall weight.