Registered User MarkoTheBuilder's Avatar
    MarkoTheBuilder is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Analysis of Helmut Strebl's Diet / Meal Plan

Hey guys,

I recently stumbled upon the diet plan of a bodybuilder which truly inspired me with his results; Helmut Strebl.
    I understand genetics play a huge role, however, I noticed his diet is a little different from ordinary as well.

Upon doing some research, I found the following two sources of information about the contents of his 6 meals per day:

Meal 1: 5-8 Egg Whites + 1 Yolk, 1 Chicken, large cup of Coffee, 3 Bagels with sweetener Jam, Mustard, Low-Fat Spread
    Meal 2: Meal Replacement Shake: 50 grams of protein, 80 grams of carbs
    Meal 3: Cooked Basmati Rice and Turkey/Chicken
    Meal 4: Basmati Rice and Turkey/Chicken/Fish
    Meal 5: Basmati Rice and Turkey/Chicken/Fish
    Meal 6: 10-12 Egg Whites (No Yolk) and 4 slices of Brown Toast

Meal 1: 3 eggs, 2 cups egg whites, 1 whole wheat bagel with jam, Black coffee
    Meal 2: 2 scoops of whey protein, 3 rice cakes
    Meal 3: 6-7 ounces lean ground turkey, 1 1/2 cups basmati rice, Broccoli
    Meal 4: 2 scoops whey protein, 2 bananas, 2 tbsp almond butter
    Meal 5: 6-7 ounces grilled chicken breast, 1 1/2 cups brown rice, Asparagus
    Meal 6: 1 cup cottage cheese, 1 cup oatmeal, 2 tbsp peanut butter

I was so inspired by him that in the last few days I couldn't focus on anything or even sleep until I set a plan for a lifestyle that will lead to similar results in perhaps 2-3 years of dedication.

I understand that the information above is merely from a journalist who interviewed Helmut Strebl.
    Nobody really knows the amount of variety Helmut Strebl has in his diet, how long he has been consistent specifically with what is written above, the supplements he takes and etc.
    I also understand that members of the forums most likely don't know Helmut Strebl in person so the question of what exactly he eats and when would be impossible to answer accurately.
    However, this question is based on fundamentals of ANY rational meal plan for the purposes of gradually gaining muscle while maintaining a minimal body fat percentage.

I'd value your opinion on the following:

1) What could be potential side effects of such a diet (with such a large amount of protein) if it is consumed for a year without much variety?
    2) Do you think this published meal plan is complete?
    - Where does Helmut get his calcium? There is no information about milk, yogurt, or any natural supplement like egg shell powder.
    - I noticed there is no intake of fruits except for bananas
    - Information about vegetables and their amounts is limited. Thinks like spinach for instance, which are recommended by many bodybuilders, is not present.
    - Does he drink multivitamins to supplement for other missed nutrients?
    3) When new to high-protein diets, is it generally advised to increase the intake of protein gradually so that the body to have time to get used to consuming such large amounts of protein?
    - My current meal plan has a protein intake of around 2 chicken breasts, an ON protein shake (~25g protein), 3 eggs in the morning, and perhaps a portion of greek yogurt.
    - This meal however has around x2 the amount of protein.

I often like to experiment things on my own body and base my knowledge on experience, however, things like nutrition can take months to make visible changes. This is exactly why I'd like to know your opinion on this diet.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    There is nothing special about this - and as you seem to realise, it is in fact missing some things because it's too restrictive and samey.

Muscle growth doesn't need very specific foods types, it much simpler than that, you just need enough protein, essential fats, vitamins and minerals - most of these things would also feature in a diet designed to be as healthy as possible - maybe just more protein and a surplus of calories to ensure an anabolic environment.

There is no magic about 6 meals a day. Drug using athletes sometimes need to eat frequently for reasons we won't go into here. But for everyone else, it's just an inconvenience and can make things harder for your if you are trying to lose fat (frequent eating stimulates appetite).

I think various myths have been baked in to this plan like avoidance of dairy and sugar from fruit. I wouldn't do it, lets put it that way. I prefer things to be simpler and more flexible and don't believe that I'm missing out on anything just because I'm not making life harder for myself.

As for the protein levels, all the available evidence shows that the maximum amount shown to make a positive impact on muscle growth is 1.6 grams per kg of lean body mass. If you like eating protein foods then fine - there are no downsides to more unless it's making your diet more expensive or inconvenient to prepare.

paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I wonder how someone named Helmut Strebl has such an attraction to basmati rice.
    Furnished rental houses in Coffeyville Kansas. Bills paid, weekly rates, full kitchens, washer/dryer, cable/wifi. For traveling workers.

Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    There is nothing special about this - and as you seem to realise, it is in fact missing some things because it's too restrictive and samey.

Muscle growth doesn't need very specific foods types, it much simpler than that, you just need enough protein, essential fats, vitamins and minerals - most of these things would also feature in a diet designed to be as healthy as possible - maybe just more protein and a surplus of calories to ensure an anabolic environment.

There is no magic about 6 meals a day. Drug using athletes sometimes need to eat frequently for reasons we won't go into here. But for everyone else, it's just an inconvenience and can make things harder for your if you are trying to lose fat (frequent eating stimulates appetite).

I think various myths have been baked in to this plan like avoidance of dairy and sugar from fruit. I wouldn't do it, lets put it that way. I prefer things to be simpler and more flexible and don't believe that I'm missing out on anything just because I'm not making life harder for myself.

As for the protein levels, all the available evidence shows that the maximum amount shown to make a positive impact on muscle growth is 1.6 grams per kg of lean body mass. If you like eating protein foods then fine - there are no downsides to more unless it's making your diet more expensive or inconvenient to prepare.
    Thanks for your answer.
    May I know if the source of your information is from resources that you have read, or from experience?
    If it's the latter, how long?

fishnbrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fishnbrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fishnbrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fishnbrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fishnbrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fishnbrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fishnbrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fishnbrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fishnbrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fishnbrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fishnbrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Helmut is goat.

Train hard play harder Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    .....1 chicken....

LOL.
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

Originally Posted by Tommy W. View Post
    .....1 chicken....

LOL.
    Lmao IKR!

desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by paulinkansas View Post
    I wonder how someone named Helmut Strebl has such an attraction to basmati rice.
    I would have guessed sauerkraut and sausage.
    A dock in harbor is safe, and thats what docks are built for.