Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Deloading and MEV

How significantly does a week-long deload impact and reset MEV, typically?

I’ve pretty much been doing a set amount of volume for a long time, so I would be surprised if a single week would allow me to, say, bring my main compounds down from 4 to 3 sets per session and my other accessories and isos down from 3 sets to 2. I run my mesos for 7 or 8 weeks, but I think I would prefer to start with lower volume and eventually end up at my normal amount of volume within that time span or less. But I don’t know what my MEV is or ever has been, and I don’t want to waste my time starting too low in case my deload didn’t do much to reset me at all, because Ive never actually reduced my volume. But if I can, I want to.

EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Xpiro View Post

I’ve pretty much been doing a set amount of volume for a long time, so I would be surprised if a single week would allow me to, say, bring my main compounds down from 4 to 3 sets per session and my other accessories and isos down from 3 sets to 2. I run my mesos for 7 or 8 weeks, but I think I would prefer to start with lower volume and eventually end up at my normal amount of volume within that time span or less. But I don’t know what my MEV is or ever has been, and I don’t want to waste my time starting too low in case my deload didn’t do much to reset me at all, because Ive never actually reduced my volume. But if I can, I want to.
    I think people tend to overestimate how much volume they need to make progress. The more sets you add the more diminishing returns kick in anyway.

I never found these concepts like MEV etc to be useful in practice. If I am progressing without a need to deload constantly, everything is good. If my progress starts slowing down, I change things and keep changing things until I am progressing again.

I like to think of volume in terms of "what is the number of hard sets I can sustain for a long time while progressing, without experiencing a setback?"

I think a problem with the whole "volume literature" is that studies tend to be short, like 8 weeks or so. So then you'll always see benefits of higher volume, because the study doesn't have enough of a time span for participants to run into joint issues etc. I suspect volume studies done over a year would show different results than a lot of the current studies. Over a longer time span, a case could probably be made for "undertraining".
    Last edited by EiFit91; 01-15-2022 at 02:14 AM.
    The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.

- Richard Feynman

kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500)
    Deload

This method may work short term but does not work for long term results.

For long term results, the key is...

Periodization Training

This is a planned progressive Training Cycle. It start off light and easy and progressively increased the intensity of training each week (load, reps, etc.)

This method is used by Athletes. It works for everyone.

I think I would prefer to start with lower volume and eventually end up at my normal amount of volume...
    This is an effective approach.

Novice Lifters

Novice Lifters adapt slow to training. Thus, their Training Cycle can last up to 12 weeks before a New Periodization Training Cycle is begun.

A New Training Cycle mean backing off and starting off with a lighter load and progressing each week.

Advanced Lifters

Advanced Lifters adapt quickly. Thus, they need to change their training every 3 -4 weeks.

Final Week In Periodization Training Cycle

In this week, an exercise need to be pushed close to the limit or to the limit.

It then need to be followed with a New Periodization Training Program; staring over with something light and easy.

Doing so promotes...

Active Recovery

Gain in strength and/or mass are made in recovery.

Active Recovery involve lower intensity training. This increase blood flow to the muscle, which increases recovery.

"Wound Healing

This mean the greater the trauma place on the body with training (or disease), the longer the recovery period necessary for recovery.

Thus, if an individual has pushed the limit in a Training Cycle, more time is required to recovery.

Volume Training

Some volume is needed for training. How much is dependent the individuals ability to recover.

It like the story of...

Goldilocks

You need to experiment and find out what is "Just Right" for you.

Kenny Croxdale
    Last edited by kennycroxdale; 01-15-2022 at 03:47 AM.
    I guarantee it will Never work, if you Never try it.

coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Hows it going X?

It’s amazing to read the lingo you young guys sling here when it comes to lifting.

Until the day comes where they pry a barbell out of my cold dead hands, I’ll argue that lifting should be INSTINCTIVE and Autoregulated with all things, sets, reps, volume, resistance, body parts trained and so on.

Studies….you should do YOUR own. Take a three month block training at 20 sets per body part….take photos and detailed notes….then take three months at 10 sets per body part….what’s different? And even 5 sets per body part…

I have done this and here’s what I know FOR me:

1- training enthusiasm is the single most important factor for me to make progress.
    * too many sets makes workouts too long and creates drudgery.
    * too few sets just doesn’t work at all…I go nowhere. For me, I have identified that number as under 8 sets for a body part in a given workout.
    * for me to retain max enthusiasm and avoid drudgery, instinctive training allows me to choose volume on any given day. Usually real life limits my time in the gym to under 90 min anyway…so 12-15 sets for a body part. Legs are more like 20 sets but some days half that.

2- volume per workout, not just per body part matters too. I have found that I can do between 40-55 sets hard and heavy provided I’m well rested the day before and the day after…even at 55. I am routinely training circles around he 17-18 year old football players in the gym.

3- rest days between stimulation. I hit a muscle hard every 4 days. I have tried every five, I lose the mental groove. If I need a day, I’ll take it, but zero chance I’m recovered in 2-3 days.

I believe the Vince Giranda rule of 8x8 being an honest workout for a given body part is about min.
    Last edited by coachcalande; 01-15-2022 at 04:02 AM.
    "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. "By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."

Old Guy deadlifting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zMrim-0Dks
    bench press https://youtu.be/GaRzfueJVJQ

Every workout is GAME DAY!

MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    In general...
    If your going hard for 4-5 weeks a week deload should be good.

If you the had an extended block linger than that, its quite possible a 2week deload or pivot would really be required

https://open.spotify.com/episode/0YN...urce=copy-link

A great listen for anyone on periodisation and that its really not the concept that the b old school really make it out to be... By the best in the field
    FMH crew - Couch.

'pick a program from the stickies' = biggest cop out post.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    It's a useful theoretic concept to aid understanding but I think trying to measure and use it directly is not easy and maybe not even worth trying to do for most people.

One of the main problems is that "volume" is strongly influenced by exertion levels in each set in my opinion - not just 'tonnage'

If I did 3 singles with 200kg in the deadlift or I did 10 sets of 10 reps with 100kg - which has more of an effect on strength and muscle growth adaptations? And which has more theoretical volume (at least as measured by reps x sets x weight)?

Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Hm, when we refer to progress with a certain number of (hard) sets, does this just refer to matching RPE on the following session with at least one more rep? Or with more weight at the bottom of a predetermined rep goal, RPE matched? Or should RPE also gradually increase (problem being that progress feels forced and artificial)?

Like if I’m overloading in at least one of these ways from session to session, would it not be necessary to move toward the threshold of diminishing returns by adding sets and hoping to progress at the same rate but with more volume? Or is that the point?

If my progress began to slow down, that could either indicate a necessary deload or a need to add more sets... or a need to address something in my recovery like food, stress etc. or, it could mean that I’m doing too many sets and need to remove some. I guess my issue is that it’s unclear to me how exactly to address diminishing progress, since conflicting popular opinions state that I either need to do MORE or that I need to do LESS.