Registered User userD6GMT0HVDAJ's Avatar
    userD6GMT0HVDAJ is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Advice on work-out plan?

I'm 52, lifted quite a bit, but on and off, in my 20s. Stopped about 20 years ago. Started again about six months ago with a little work out area in my garage (power rack, bench, dumbbells). Been watching a bunch of YouTube videos on different routines for different muscle groups (e.g., AthleanX, Jeremy Ethier, Squat University, etc.). Back in my 20s, I pretty much always did a three day routine, chest/tris, back/bis, legs/shlr, and a little core each day. However, over the past 6 months, my workout has evolved to a four day routine:

- Day 1: Upper Legs - 1 exercise each for quads, hams & glute emphasis)
    - Day 2: Chest / Calves - 1 exercise for upper, mid & lower chest + standing & seated calf raises. I usually superset in the calf exercises between the 2nd & 3rd chest exercises to save time.
    - Day 3: Back / Hips - pull ups or chin ups, some bent over row variation, shrugs, farmers walk + Hip abduction / Hip extension exercises which I usually superset in with the 2nd & 3rd back exercises.
    - Day 4: Shoulder / Arms - some type of overhead press, lateral raises, rear delts flies, rotator cuff exercise + 3 bicep/tricep supersets (each focused on different head of bi/tri).

Rest 2-3 min between sets (except supersets, then rest just as long as needed to catch breath, feel ready for good set, maybe 60 sec or less).

I just repeat the cycle over and over. I don't specifically take a rest day after day 4, but I do take a rest day whenever I feel the need due to muscle soreness, or just need a break, maybe once every eight days.

(Optional - my reasoning for getting to this routine): I used to do a leg day that included upper legs, calves & hip exercises, and it was just way too much both in terms of energy and time. Since I find the upper legs the most unpleasant and exhausting, I decided to make that day as easy as possible by moving the other leg stuff to other days. It also feels like I'm giving Chest & Back each their own day, since working in a few calf raises or some hip exercises between sets is pretty easy, these are not draining compound exercises. I don't work them in till my second chest or back exercise, since the first one is my "big" exercise (barbell press or pull up/chin up) and I don't want the distraction, so I work in the calf or hip exercises (only 2 of each) starting with my second chest or back exercise. I do upper traps on back day & rear delts on shoulder day (though I'm sure they work somewhat on other days, obviously). This routine has me doing the most separate exercises on shoulder/arm day, but those are smaller muscles, so I think that makes sense.

- Ken

TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...2916931&page=1

I’d probably jump on an expert designed routine tbh. Get the fastest results possible. Here are some good ones above.